GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Samuusha's Big Red - First timer!

samuusha

Hello everyone!

I have been spending countless hours on the forums now and finally have a direction of what kind of mods I'd like to start with for my MK6. Bear with me I know quite a bit about cars but can always improve so help me out if you have some input.

A little background,
I bought my cpo 2012 Tornado Red GTI with 50k in October and just can't get enough. It's all stock currently but its time to change that! It is my daily driver so I'm not trying to make it anything too

My current plan of parts to buy and install for phase one:

•Neuspeed P Flo intake - oiled filter

•GFB DV+ (not sure which DV version I have currently, plan to find out later)

•Neuspeed turbo outlet pipe

•Rear wiper plug for the looks

My though process was to just get more airflow for the car so I can begin bigger upgrades right away, maybe make the car a bit more fun to drive.

My plans for the future are:

•Boost Guage

•Lowering springs or coilovers (unsure of brand, type, etc.)

•Downpipe (unsure of brand)

•Intercooler setup?

•APR Stage 1 tune

Let me know what you think and if there's any supporting stuff to be aware of when doing this. Also if there is good times to get certain fluids/parts changed with any of this or in general.

Thank you!

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
it depends how far you wanna take things
also is it dsg or 6speed manual?

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Welcome aboard! Very first thing I would do if I were you is to get rid of everything that says "Fox Valley" on your car.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Welcome aboard! Very first thing I would do if I were you is to get rid of everything that says "Fox Valley" on your car.
Pretty sure each instance of those is -5HP

samuusha

it depends how far you wanna take things
also is it dsg or 6speed manual?
It is a 6 Speed manual!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

samuusha

Pretty sure each instance of those is -5HP
Haha so true! I took off the license plate covers but the sad sticker remains [emoji14] I'll just paint my emblem back for +10 hp

samuusha

what part of IL you in? spend some time reading and researching here. If you have plans of getting a downpipe, you should be looking at a stage 2 tune instead.
Saint Charles! I was going mainly for sound and freer airflow with the downpipe, but I have seen that it's more for Stage 2 tunes. What would you recommend instead maybe?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Saint Charles! I was going mainly for sound and freer airflow with the downpipe, but I have seen that it's more for Stage 2 tunes. What would you recommend instead maybe?

if you're going for loud, a magnaflow catback would do it. We have a meet every thursday night in lombard which is right near st charles. Lots of different exhaust setups that you can hear in person if you're interested.

samuusha

if you're going for loud, a magnaflow catback would do it. We have a meet every thursday night in lombard which is right near st charles. Lots of different exhaust setups that you can hear in person if you're interested.
Cool I'll start looking into that then too! That sounds awesome Lombard is pretty close by as well I'll probably pm you about coming sometime thanks!
[emoji594] [emoji91] [emoji91] [emoji100]

"•~{Samuusha}~•"

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
It is a 6 Speed manual!

awesome there's a bunch of mods you can do right off the bat that will make it more fun to drive and still staying stock

Shortshifter, shorten the actually shifter too(free mod lol), shifter bushings, clutchstop etc.

then handling-wise your best bang for buck is a rear sway bar

and hp gains, stage 1 tune

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
here's a response to your list of plans in bold:

•Neuspeed P Flo intake - oiled filter save your money, more significant upgrades first, intakes are pretty much useless on stock tune

•GFB DV+ (not sure which DV version I have currently, plan to find out later)
save your money, more significant upgrades first if its not the shitty diaphragm one

•Neuspeed turbo outlet pipe save your money, more significant upgrades first

•Rear wiper plug for the looks whatever floats your boat

My though process was to just get more airflow for the car so I can begin bigger upgrades right away, maybe make the car a bit more fun to drive.

My plans for the future are:

•Boost Guage definitely recommended, useful

•Lowering springs or coilovers (unsure of brand, type, etc.) for looks or performance? if performance go with rear sway bar first

•Downpipe (unsure of brand) if you only plan on going stage 1, save your money and just get catback exhaust

•Intercooler setup? save your money unless your pushing the car in hot temps and if you're sticking with stage 1 or 2 just upgrade to S3 intercooler

•APR Stage 1 tune best bang for buck power upgrade

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
From my similar thread. Same feedback.

On stock the intake will only add sound no real performance until you get stage 1.

Since you live in IL, IC would only help in summer while stock. I'd wait till you're tuned. If stage 2 S3 intercooler I've heard might not be enough. Its a great budget option for stage 1.

If going with sways rear first then plan to upgrade the front as well with subframe collar kit and dogbone mount from my research it really changes the handling for the better.

As for springs or coilovers you might benefit from coils more because you could adjust them for winter vs summer tires and snow as I've seen here on the forums. Where as for me in CA spring and strut combo is all I need as I don't get snow.

Another cool mod I'd thought id mention is the trunk pop kit. So when you push the trunk button on your fob the trunk pops open.

Also cheap mod LED upgrade to the interior lights I thought was a good value for the cost.

Last but not least remember if your going to increase the power you'll want to be able to stop faster when needed so don't skimp on your brakes pads and the brake stiff kit is a great sub $200 mod to get better brake performance.

Also make sure you equip the right tires for the occasion and check their pressure occasionally.

Have a look at the "So you want to mod your GTI" sticky by Grambles for some great ideas and brand names.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk