GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Selling my house, woes rant

Muellebs

Ready to race!
Okay, so our house is finally under contract and the home inspection comes up. I have always heard that home inspectors were a joke and get their certification in two weeks and know about as much as the next Joe Blow does about houses.

I want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and trust, since our house is only two years old.

We get our home inspection report back and my suspicions are confirmed. This guy doesn't seem to know what he is doing. We have pre-fabbed I beam floor joists, for a lack of a better description, and they have engineer placed holes through them to allow for ductwork, electrical etc. Mr. Inspector says we have compromised the structural integrity of our home and we need to replace ALL of the openings in the floor joists (about 100 12" ovals), and we need to call out a structural engineer to verify the structure.

Okay. Whatever. I call the builder and they send out the original structural engineer who gives me copies of all the permits, joist details and layout. Problem solved. However, shouldn't a home inspector in that area KNOW what to look for in terms of questionable structure? Like something without a structural engineers signed inspection sticker? Or obvious signs that this is how the house was built, inspected, approved and documented?

#2 is radon. Now let me say this right off. F radon and its impact on residential real estate. It's a boogie man for all I am concerned. That being said testing I supposed to be done on non rainy days for 2-7 days duration. This cat runs a test over a torrential downpour weekend (48 hrs) and we get a high reading back saying we need to foot the bill for a $1200+ system to reduce the radon in the dwelling. After many phone calls and arguments later the testing box is back in our house redoing the test, still out of what the EPA guidelines say. Whatever again, as long as it comes back favorable.

My rant ends in this: This asshat has introduced unnecessary amounts or fear and anxiety for the buyers, slander in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with the house, why make the buyers think its a rickety nuclear disaster zone?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Anyone with a job wants people to think what he does is important. It is the constant.

GLWS :D

butchered by autocorrecr

Muellebs

Ready to race!
I should really call VWoA.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Obama.

Muellebs

Ready to race!

adolan21

Ready to race!
I am a real estate agent and I absolutely hate home inspections. Home inspectors have such high liability so to protect themselves for getting sued, their report that comes to the buyer makes the house sound like absolute shit. They purposely make the house sound worse than it is. Radon tests are a pain in the ass because they are very easily messed up. Rain effects it, the placement of the canister can effect the test, or if leave windows open it can effect it. I don't know how it is in your state but home inspectors in my state require 60 hours to get the certification.

Muellebs

Ready to race!
I am a real estate agent and I absolutely hate home inspections. Home inspectors have such high liability so to protect themselves for getting sued, their report that comes to the buyer makes the house sound like absolute shit. They purposely make the house sound worse than it is. Radon tests are a pain in the ass because they are very easily messed up. Rain effects it, the placement of the canister can effect the test, or if leave windows open it can effect it. I don't know how it is in your state but home inspectors in my state require 60 hours to get the certification.

I think this guy is doing it all wrong. He says his box only collects data for 48 hours then shuts off. I looked the model up and it has a tamper sensor in it. Damn. I also looked up proper placement and this thing is only within the height guidelines. I am just praying it comes in low enough to average below the accepted non treatment level.

Muellebs

Ready to race!
Success. Radon re-test came back with much lower readings resulting in no more worry about the boogie man gas.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Nice win :thumbsup:

I'm about ready to put in an offer on a house. To me the possibility of lead paint is the kicker, since the paint and evenness of the walls make for a pretty unrefined living area and I won't be able to fix that with another coat of paint. Drywall is also out of the question with the house's architecture. So I'm getting the walls tested and if the EPA says there's too much lead for me to resurface the walls myself, I'm pulling out.

FWIW the house was built before 1978 when they didn't have to declare that lead paint was present.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
I think you're being too hard on the home inspector for your first complaint. They aren't expected/allowed to make structural claims, research original build plans, vouch for the legitimacy of the original builder/engineer etc. They check things out, if something doesn't look right then they list in the report.

FNR32

Ready to race!
I think you're being too hard on the home inspector for your first complaint. They aren't expected/allowed to make structural claims, research original build plans, vouch for the legitimacy of the original builder/engineer etc. They check things out, if something doesn't look right then they list in the report.
This. They aren't structural engineers at all. They're simply there to point out things the average Joe has no idea about.

Muellebs

Ready to race!
This. They aren't structural engineers at all. They're simply there to point out things the average Joe has no idea about.

NFG about that. Unacceptable for someone who inspects new builds to call out a bogus and obviously incorrect 'issue'. If I failed to mention the house is 2 years old and the inspection stickers are still visible. Its not my job to educate the home inspector on how to inspect and/or use a radon test machine. I did both in this case and he had the nerve to ask for payment of a retest. He clearly did the test incorrectly. That is the job he is paid to do. If you cannot stay on top of your field of work get out. Don't place fear / doubt and blame if you don't know what you are doing. It costs people needless amounts of money.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Okay, so our house is finally under contract

I am a title insurance agent, but not in Kentucky. However, I think KY procedures are similar. Biggest problem I see is buyers and sellers getting screwed, paying literally THOUSANDS of dollars more than they should.

Remember, that you (buyers and sellers) can shop around for the best price when choosing a title company for your settlement services. You DO NOT have to go with the title company that your realtor or bank wants. You can shop around. Too many people just leave it up to the bank, and the bank just goes with who they are buddies with, not who might do the best work for the dollar.

I know this will probably be something your buyers deal with more than you will, but on occasion the sellers have a say in it as well.

Now, when you BUY, (I'm assuming you will buy, since you're selling), it will be even more important to hand-pick your title co., and lender, that way you won't be paying for a "$3,000 origination fee" or something ridiculous like that.