GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I buy an e30?

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
I have both an NA Miata and a MK6 GTI. I vote for the Miata, with one qualification - they are NOT, IMHO, great cars for lots of heavy traffic freeway driving. That said, they are cheap to own, a hoot to drive,easy to maintain, and offer an endless array of chassis tune ning options. As a 1.6l owner, I can tell you to get a 1.8, the former is really underpowered, and chasing HP is MUCH more costly than with a GTI.

I'm a neophyte mechanic, but have lost my fear of wrenching by doing a bunch of work on the Miata, including clutch slave cylinder, brakes, butterfly brace and other chassis stiffening parts. Look up Miata clubs in your area, go to an event, and seek advice. Good examples should not be hard to find in SoCal. Stretch your budget to get an example with a tighter chassis, chasing lost rigidity is also costly and not altogether successful.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Yeah the BMWs are more expensive and as far as I can tell the only thing they have going for them vs the miata is looks. Looks like I'm getting a miata.

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
Can you elaborate?

Small so not always seen by others. Hot in stop and go summer traffic. I compounded the latter by pulling the heat shield off my downpipe so it wouldn't conflict with my butterfly brace. Not as comfortable by far to the GTI.

Takes me 15 minutes more each way my commute in miata cuz I take the back roads, avoiding as much hi way as is practical. These back roads are a hoot without traffic, so often a trade worth making.

Last edited:

drepai

Go Kart Champion

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk