GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I buy an e30?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking for something cheap (4k neighborhood) that's reliable and slow but still somewhat fun to drive. I've been driving a Prius for a while and it's a fantastic car for what it is however it's just way too boring for my taste. Never realized how massive the impact of driving a gutless econo box is on your day to day life until this.

Anyways, I'm in the market for a new daily and my top pick is currently an e30 325i(s), next pick would be a first gen Miata. I've done extensive research on these cars and they seem very solid if well maintained. If I buy one it will 100% have a manual trans and probably have north of 200k miles on it. I have plenty of experience working on cars (mechanical and electrical) so small repairs are not an issue, just don't want to have to pay for expensive parts.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience/input on high mileage e30s or if there are better options out there that meet the criteria. Thanks in advance

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Consider some other cars for the money as well, the price might be OK & very good looking car, but when it comes to money the E30 doesn't have a good reputation, I've seen them in Auto X (amazing). :thumbsup:

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Consider some other cars for the money as well, the price might be OK & very good looking car, but when it comes to money the E30 doesn't have a good reputation, I've seen them in Auto X (amazing). :thumbsup:

Suggestions? I'm not going to track or modify this car at all. Just want something that's decent to drive that'll consistently get me from point a to b

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Do what I just did, lease a Spark EV for $100 ish a month zero down. Use the $2500 state rebate to buy a Miata to use as a track car. And you have the GTI as your weekend car.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
The 318i i believe it's the most reliable, m42? Engine i believe and just as good as a japanese car as long as you maintain it.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Suggestions? I'm not going to track or modify this car at all. Just want something that's decent to drive that'll consistently get me from point a to b

I would definately go for a RWD living where you at, something like a Nissan 240SX or MB C230 Kompressor (W202), however there are some other good cheap FWD with some sporty pedigree.

-Infiniti G20

-Acura Integra GS

-Celica GT-S

-Beetle Turbo S (1.8T 6speed)

-Acura RSX

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I got a NA miata as DD few months ago, its fun to drive, you will like the shifter it feels good also the steering are fantastic and out handles a lot of cars. Only downside is that the Hardtop is very expensive, and it needs more power lol.

NLeo

Ready to race!
I would get the e30 never mind with the miata everyone and their hairdresser has one. I never understood the miata hype, its a slow car and the reason it handles so well is because your going so slow. Ive driven plenty of miatas and dont see what all the fuss is about.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Get the Miata. Parts are cheap and plentiful and they're a lot of fun if you don't mind lack of power.

Just don't get tempted by the $2k offerings, spend $4-5k and get a cherry one mechanically, it'll be cheaper in the end and a better ownership experience.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Do what I just did, lease a Spark EV for $100 ish a month zero down. Use the $2500 state rebate to buy a Miata to use as a track car. And you have the GTI as your weekend car.
This is actually brilliant. looking into it more now
The 318i i believe it's the most reliable, m42? Engine i believe and just as good as a japanese car as long as you maintain it.
Interesting. The 4 cyl is really slow compared to the 6 though, the difference in reliability isn't enough to justify it imo.
I would definately go for a RWD living where you at, something like a Nissan 240SX or MB C230 Kompressor (W202), however there are some other good cheap FWD with some sporty pedigree.

-Infiniti G20

-Acura Integra GS

-Celica GT-S

-Beetle Turbo S (1.8T 6speed)

-Acura RSX
Yes, I've considered a few fwd cars and I keep coming back to the miata or e30 lol. RSX would be the first option for me on that list but I doubt I'll go fwd.
I got a NA miata as DD few months ago, its fun to drive, you will like the shifter it feels good also the steering are fantastic and out handles a lot of cars. Only downside is that the Hardtop is very expensive, and it needs more power lol.
Good to know. Power isn't a big deal to me, I dd a prius right now and don't even mind the lack of power, just hate the overall feel of the car. If I wanna go fast I drive my gti it has a stupid amount of power

Don't really need a hard top then if it's $$. The more I think about it the more it seems like a Miata is perfect. Seems to be better value for money than an e30 based on what I'm reading/seeing on craigslist.
I would get the e30 never mind with the miata everyone and their hairdresser has one. I never understood the miata hype, its a slow car and the reason it handles so well is because your going so slow. Ive driven plenty of miatas and dont see what all the fuss is about.
Interesting. Haven't driven either yet so I guess I'll find out.

Get the Miata. Parts are cheap and plentiful and they're a lot of fun if you don't mind lack of power.

Just don't get tempted by the $2k offerings, spend $4-5k and get a cherry one mechanically, it'll be cheaper in the end and a better ownership experience.
Exactly what I'm thinking. Seeing a few at 3.5k ish with over 100k miles but it's probably worth it to wait.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
my first car was an e30, the maintenance can be manageable if you work on the car yourself. i made a tool for holding the clutch fan in place while i loosened the bolts and saved allot of money without having to buy that tool. it can be a reliable car if you get a good one to start out with.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, 100k is nothing on a Miata. Mine was a '90 with around 200k when I bought it and it was an ok car, paid $2k. So much was just worn out by then. Check out the classifieds at miata.net, there are some clean example, but sometimes they think their cars are made of gold.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about the miles though, anything under 150k is kind of low for an NA, just try to find something that's been really well maintained and taken care of. An enthusiast owned car would be good. I'd try to find a '94+ with LSD.

Joel_MK6

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know much about either car. But I would get the E30, just cause it looks fifty times better than the Miata imo.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Miata gets my vote will be a fun car to drive.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, 100k is nothing on a Miata. Mine was a '90 with around 200k when I bought it and it was an ok car, paid $2k. So much was just worn out by then. Check out the classifieds at miata.net, there are some clean example, but sometimes they think their cars are made of gold.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about the miles though, anything under 150k is kind of low for an NA, just try to find something that's been really well maintained and taken care of. An enthusiast owned car would be good. I'd try to find a '94+ with LSD.

This. for that money($4k) you can get one with a hardtop.