GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Speeding doesn't get you there any faster"

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
On the merits and costs of speeding:

I've heard this parroted back at me a few times and have concluded that it is a terrible over generalization. It might be true for city driving but is absolutely not true for me. I've done some experimenting with my new commute and these are the results:

I drive 30k miles per year, normally with mild speeding at the speed of traffic like many people. This nets me 20 mpg average which means $500 a month in gas at $4 per gallon. My commute is 100 minutes per day round trip at those speeds.

To evaluate the impact of speeding I have now spent several days driving at the speed limit instead. Good news: mpg goes up by 10% to 22 mpg = $50 per month savings = $600 per year. Bad news: commute time goes up by 15% to 115 minutes round trip = 15 minutes extra per day = 1.25 hours per week = 62.5 hours per year.

Conclusion: Speeding saves me just over 1.5 full work weeks of time per year at a measily cost of $9.60 per hour.

How exactly is speeding not worth it again?

Merkle

Banned
If only cops could understand this flawless logic.

Your argument is based on the principle that Time > Money. You aren't losing work time, just your own personal time.

LoneWolf2774

Passed Driver's Ed
Your logic sounds perfect to me! I speed everywhere though. :clap::thumbup:

On the merits and costs of speeding:

I've heard this parroted back at me a few times and have concluded that it is a terrible over generalization. It might be true for city driving but is absolutely not true for me. I've done some experimenting with my new commute and these are the results:

I drive 30k miles per year, normally with mild speeding at the speed of traffic like many people. This nets me 20 mpg average which means $500 a month in gas at $4 per gallon. My commute is 100 minutes per day round trip at those speeds.

To evaluate the impact of speeding I have now spent several days driving at the speed limit instead. Good news: mpg goes up by 10% to 22 mpg = $50 per month savings = $600 per year. Bad news: commute time goes up by 15% to 115 minutes round trip = 15 minutes extra per day = 1.25 hours per week = 62.5 hours per year.

Conclusion: Speeding saves me just over 1.5 full work weeks of time per year at a measily cost of $9.60 per hour.

How exactly is speeding not worth it again?

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
you can only go as fast as the person in front of you...I.E you could be speeding the entire route of work and be ahead of time....come up to slow driver and be right back at your normal commute time of getting to work...

to me its not worth it in the morning...ill get there when i get there...usually when i try and speed to get there early, i end up at the same time, when i drive at normal speed taking my time, i get there right around the same time...

a lot has to do with your commute to work, not driving habits, there are just somethings out of your control

chc29

Ready to race!
To some people personal time is worth more than work time in terms of $. But goddamn you speed enough to shave 15 minutes off a day??? If I drive like 80 instead of 65 on my highway portion of the commute I'll get to work maybe 1 minute earlier, but you already noted this doesn't work for city driving. It's mostly the lights. They're timed in such a way that you have to be doing all out quarter mile runs to catch the lights.

miguelr

Go Kart Champion

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
speeding gets me there faster in germany:)

:sm3:

To some people personal time is worth more than work time in terms of $. But goddamn you speed enough to shave 15 minutes off a day??? If I drive like 80 instead of 65 on my highway portion of the commute I'll get to work maybe 1 minute earlier, but you already noted this doesn't work for city driving. It's mostly the lights. They're timed in such a way that you have to be doing all out quarter mile runs to catch the lights.

You probably aren't driving nearly as far as I am - my example is on the extreme end of things but it is my real commute. It's just averaging 69 instead of 60 on my 115 mile interstate commute which is a mix of 55 and 65 speed limits. Going 80 would save like 30 minutes until I got pulled over :lol:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
We still have 55mph highway speed limits in much of IL.. it's a fucking joke.

Merkle

Banned
Many of the divided highways here go up to 65mph. Some parts of the interstate go up to 75, or 80mph.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
We still have 55mph highway speed limits in much of IL.. it's a fucking joke.

Yep same thing here, 55 and 65 depending on where you are in the state. Most of the 55's would be safe at 80 in a 20 year old car with worn out tires and the 65's probably safe at 100. It's all about the revenue stream, has nothing to do with safety.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Many of the divided highways here go up to 65mph. Some parts of the interstate go up to 75, or 80mph.

Shush your balls.

Yep same thing here, 55 and 65 depending on where you are in the state. Most of the 55's would be safe at 80 in a 20 year old car with worn out tires and the 65's probably safe at 100. It's all about the revenue stream, has nothing to do with safety.

Exactly^

When I've been to Germany and UK and elsewhere, I never got the feeling the police were out looking for money like they are here.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
On city driving around here the limit on most roads are 45 and traffic moves around 55-60. So I guess everyone is speeding. And I do the same. On Interstates here limit is mostly 70 I usually just drive 70. I don't drive interstate all that often and if I do I rarely need to go somewhere in a hurry. Traffic will move faster so if I do want to speed I can just speed up to the traffic speed. Only long-ish distance driving I do with some kind of regularity is driving back home to Toronto from Detroit. And doing 130kph vs 115kph doesn't save me that much time and any time saved can easily to negated by sitting at the border or run into a traffic jam in Toronto. I used to drive a lot faster in my old(slower) car since MPG doesn't really suffer on that one driving fast or slow. In this car I use significantly less gas if I drive slower and overall travel time for that drive isn't that different in the end...

Merkle

Banned
Yep same thing here, 55 and 65 depending on where you are in the state. Most of the 55's would be safe at 80 in a 20 year old car with worn out tires and the 65's probably safe at 100.

With a decent driver behind the wheel. By decent I mean well educated on how to drive.

It's all about the revenue stream, has nothing to do with safety.

:word: