GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Speeding doesn't get you there any faster"

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Certain parts of the Philly highway system are at 45 MPH limits. Its annoying, but then again everyone is going 65, and the cops hardly ever pull anyone over for speeding on a highway inside the city limit. Unless they are driving like a complete douche.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
On city driving around here the limit on most roads are 45 and traffic moves around 55-60. So I guess everyone is speeding.

This is a good point that I neglected. Driving at the speed limit actually feels more dangerous to me than driving at the speed of traffic - you have to drive almost entirely from your rear view mirror like you're running NASCAR at Talledaga, constantly getting passed by EVERYONE including most trucks. On the occasion that you do need to pass a truck you either piss everyone off forcing them to slow down behind you or have to speed yourself just to get around them. It's incredibly stressful compared to just speeding like most everyone else.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
This is a good point that I neglected. Driving at the speed limit actually feels more dangerous to me than driving at the speed of traffic - you have to drive almost entirely from your rear view mirror like you're running NASCAR at Talledaga, constantly getting passed by EVERYONE including most trucks. On the occasion that you do need to pass a truck you either piss everyone off forcing them to slow down behind you or have to speed yourself just to get around them. It's incredibly stressful compared to just speeding like most everyone else.

On highway I find this is fine. By law you are supposed to be on the right except to pass, so if I am driving at limit on the right someone come up behind me going faster they can pass me on the left.

On city street this is a bit less clear since people can be parked, turning, merging all the time so going with the flow is a bit more sensible.

If I stay out of the main flow of the traffic on the highway when I am going at speedlimit and the flow is going faster its not really a problem. Problem happens when people are going slow in the wrong lane...which is a big problem once you get to Toronto....

Skeptix

Ready to race!
I leave late every day for work, have a 46 mile one way commute. All highway however... I do about 85-95mph about 60% of the way. I'm always on time, if I did the speed limit I'd be fucked.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Certain parts of the Philly highway system are at 45 MPH limits. Its annoying, but then again everyone is going 65, and the cops hardly ever pull anyone over for speeding on a highway inside the city limit. Unless they are driving like a complete douche.

Inside the Philly limits, it's either drive like an asshole or get run over.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Most cities seem to be like that. Detroit, Chicago, Boston, and New York at least are all the same. If traffic is moving, you have to pretend you're being chased by the cops to get anywhere :lol:

Yep. Gotta slice and dice.

Boston has some of the craziest and worst drivers, from my experience.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Its one thing I miss about living in Atlanta. 7 lanes of traffic all flowing safely at 80 mph without issue.

Seattle has lethargic Prius drivers camping in the left lane who are freaked out by either sun or rain.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Most cities seem to be like that. Detroit, Chicago, Boston, and New York at least are all the same. If traffic is moving, you have to pretend you're being chased by the cops to get anywhere :lol:

true, true...

Its one thing I miss about living in Atlanta. 7 lanes of traffic all flowing safely at 80 mph without issue.

Seattle has lethargic Prius drivers camping in the left lane who are freaked out by either sun or rain.

really? the times I've been in ATL the traffic was quite bad.

sun or rain.. yeah, here its ridiculous when it rains.. people freak out.. same for snow.. :paddle::(

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Conclusion: Speeding saves me just over 1.5 full work weeks of time per year at a measily cost of $9.60 per hour.

How exactly is speeding not worth it again?

Your analysis doesn't include the increased risk of tickets or accidents. I know you think you have those under control but that doesn't change the fact that the risk IS increased. This is hard to quantify but it adds tail risk, i.e. catastrophic risks of totaling the car, injury from accident, associated medical/legal cost etc. and therefore that 9.60 would be a bit higher. Tail risks are low probability but high cost. Just takes split second of a wandering mind out of an entire years worth of driving for a catastrophic event.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Your analysis doesn't include the increased risk of tickets or accidents. I know you think you have those under control but that doesn't change the fact that the risk IS increased. This is hard to quantify but it adds tail risk, i.e. catastrophic risks of totaling the car, injury from accident, associated medical/legal cost etc. and therefore that 9.60 would be a bit higher. Tail risks are low probability but high cost. Just takes split second of a wandering mind out of an entire years worth of driving for a catastrophic event.

I'd argue like I did earlier that speeding (at the speed of traffic) actually carries less risk than driving the speed limit (significantly slower than the speed of traffic). Zero tickets and accidents in over a decade so far seem to support the argument as well.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Driving in Puerto Rico is crazy as well.

Uh oh.. thedude4 argument sesh has begun ;) lol..

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
I'd argue like I did earlier that speeding (at the speed of traffic) actually carries less risk than driving the speed limit (significantly slower than the speed of traffic). Zero tickets and accidents in over a decade so far seem to support the argument as well.

Not that it is a huge number in this case but you should also consider the time it takes to refill your car the extra times.

It doesn't really matter all that much in a normal commute but I know on road trips I try and figure out the speed that will get me the fastest while remaining safe and the fewest stops. Road trips for me and my GF we only stop when we need gas :)

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
really? the times I've been in ATL the traffic was quite bad.

Travel during non rush hour. I used to call the GA400 the Alpharetta Autobahn with people driving safely well over the speed limit. I-85 isn't just the name of the interstate, it's also the average speed. Except for Commerce GA where they love to ticket.