GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 2013 GTI vs Stage 1 2013 Focus ST

jamesmk6

Also, does anyone know the power/speed differences between stage 1 and stage 2 for our car? It doesn't seem like its much of a difference at all... For APR

Gtiphil1

Passed Driver's Ed
This is true. Another member on here dyno'd 250whp/300flbs with Uni stage 2, Uni turbo back/ intake and Neuspeed IC with piping kit with a few other minor power mods.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Might not seem like much but it was a noticeable difference for me. It impressed alot of my friends. I have a buddy with a stock st and i destroyed him and i have stage 2. Ive taken on many cars with my stage 2 such as a turbo g35 and a 2015 m3. I was dead even with them until we decided 140 mph was enough. I also had passangers at the time. But i may have an advantage cause i also have a clutch and flywheel upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

corman1313

Ready to race!
I've rolled with quite a few cars, and I'm not sure I agree with being able to hang with a 15 M3 to 140, their top end from the flat 6 will get us for sure. Yes we can hang with them in the low end because of our torque and quick spool time but with passengers I'd have to see this. I think clutch and flywheel aren't going to allow you to keep up with a twin turbo flat 6, put nothing more than a tune on the M3 and it's making close to 500 at the wheels (got a buddy with a tuned M4 and that thing puts me in the seat like my GTI wished it could). I just did a run up ACH and was all over the ass of a 135M but have raced a tuned and bolt on 235M and he pulls on me in the higher end for sure and we are pretty even weighted.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
There's a bit of misinformation here so here's how the ST stages go:

Stage 1: Tune, Filter (Optional)
Stage 2:Tune, Filter (Optional), Cat-back, Intercooler
Stage 3: Tune, Filter/Intake, Cat-back, Downpipe, Intercooler

Now keep in mind they can have either OTS (Off-the-shelf) tunes or custom tunes for any of those stages unlike us who are stuck with 99% OTS tunes. Within each of those stages they can have a custom E30 tune from any of the big Etuners (Deadhook, Freektune etc.) and the E30 custom tune is a big difference over a Cobb OTS tune.

corman1313

Ready to race!
Yeah so the stage 2 on a ST is really like our stage 1 considering they are not requiring a DP or intake until stage 3. I think we can all agree that a custom tune will do better than 90% of the OTS maps.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Yeah so the stage 2 on a ST is really like our stage 1 considering they are not requiring a DP or intake until stage 3. I think we can all agree that a custom tune will do better than 90% of the OTS maps.

Kind of. Keep in mind changing the Cat-back actually makes power for them whereas changing our cat-backs does nothing for power. But yeah there's no way around it, with Cobb/SCT getting pro-tunes is so simple its crazy. A pro-tune with E30 is a huge difference from the conservative Cobb maps.

Last edited:

corman1313

Ready to race!
Why do they make power from changing the cat back? Most of the held up power has to do with restrictions of the catted DP. Is their cat back a different design that most?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Why do they make power from changing the cat back? Most of the held up power has to do with restrictions of the catted DP. Is their cat back a different design that most?

It's a different car, anything and everything is going to be different...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gtiphil1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've rolled with quite a few cars, and I'm not sure I agree with being able to hang with a 15 M3 to 140, their top end from the flat 6 will get us for sure. Yes we can hang with them in the low end because of our torque and quick spool time but with passengers I'd have to see this. I think clutch and flywheel aren't going to allow you to keep up with a twin turbo flat 6, put nothing more than a tune on the M3 and it's making close to 500 at the wheels (got a buddy with a tuned M4 and that thing puts me in the seat like my GTI wished it could). I just did a run up ACH and was all over the ass of a 135M but have raced a tuned and bolt on 235M and he pulls on me in the higher end for sure and we are pretty even weighted.

You have to remember the m3 is between 400- 600lbs heavier depending on which model you have. Also it has been tested to have a 12.9 second 1/4 mile time. Which means it is at best a bit quicker than a sti at top end. Also the m3 only comes with 425 hp and our gti stage 2 has been known to hit 12.9 second 1/4 miles.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

corman1313

Ready to race!
I've owned 2 SRT 4's and still have a WRX with my GTI and non of them have made power with a cat back alone, I only made 15 horsepower on a pro tune on the WRX with a drop in filter and cat back. I made 30 more with the downpipe, the CB did not free up much. Same with the SRT's, I had 2 chances to try out different setups so each car was different. One had a cat back and the other a turbo back. Cat back made no power and again is not required for stage 1 but the turbo back brought me close to 300 with other supporting mods for to stage 2. I think the requirements say a lot, if they are not requiring a cat back until stage 2 then they don't change power. Same for the GTI, at stage 2 only a DP is required, same for a Subaru.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I've owned 2 SRT 4's and still have a WRX with my GTI and non of them have made power with a cat back alone, I only made 15 horsepower on a pro tune on the WRX with a drop in filter and cat back. I made 30 more with the downpipe, the CB did not free up much. Same with the SRT's, I had 2 chances to try out different setups so each car was different. One had a cat back and the other a turbo back. Cat back made no power and again is not required for stage 1 but the turbo back brought me close to 300 with other supporting mods for to stage 2. I think the requirements say a lot, if they are not requiring a cat back until stage 2 then they don't change power. Same for the GTI, at stage 2 only a DP is required, same for a Subaru.

Each car is different, just because 3 cars you've owned didn't do anything for them how does it make it this way for every car?? SMH

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Each car is different, just because 3 cars you've owned didn't do anything for them how does it make it this way for every car?? SMH

May I offer you a chill pill?

corman1313

Ready to race!
I'm just speaking from my experience with the cars I've had. I also asked my buddy with an ST and he confirmed that a cat back alone will not make any power. He did say that he heard there is a Cobb map that is specifically for a car that only has a cat back so I'm not sure what they would get out of it but I would think it would have some sort of gains over a map with the OEM exhaust if they offer a map like that.

feedingthesickness

Ready to race!
Who wins. Stage 1 R (tune only) or Stage 1 FoSt (tune,intake)