GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

State of the Forum..

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I remember when I joined the forum years ago, it was right around when I started a new job that was slow to pick up. I spent countless hours reading hundreds pages in threads. This was before the political BS that caused all the threads by @GTI Jake to be deleted. Which I still say is a stupid as hell ruling, those threads had hundreds of pages of valuable information. But, like you said. Not like many people would take the time to read through them all nowadays...

Since then I just went with the times and started making YouTube videos instead.

So now I get ad revenue rather than the forums 🤙🏼

For instance, I could’ve done a write up on how to swap a rear wheel bearing, but instead I took a extra five minutes to prop my phone up & helped 8,000 people save a hour or two of labor at their local shop (and down time running for tools most people don’t have).

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
People have plenty of other everyday things to do, like working, picking up kids from school, weeding the garden, taking the wife to Target, etc. A forum is literally a place for discussions. Had these websites been called libraries, it would make perfect sense to direct everyone toward the search function.
Ok, your point is not valid and is no excuse for not taking a couple of minutes out of your day to do some online research. I work, am in the military, have 2 kids, go to the gym after picking up my kids, cook dinner for my family, work on my car late at night and my wife has her own business and yet I still do all my own research. There's no excuse for laziness.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
yes

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.41.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.41.11 PM.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 96

anotero

Autocross Champion
Ok, your point is not valid and is no excuse for not taking a couple of minutes out of your day to do some online research. I work, am in the military, have 2 kids, go to the gym after picking up my kids, cook dinner for my family, work on my car late at night and my wife has her own business and yet I still do all my own research. There's no excuse for laziness.
You do you. I'll keep asking and answering questions.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I delete the spam by about 7am every morning. Sheesh.
You also don't just tolerate my TMNT/Smurfs erotic fan fiction, but help with cliffhanger story arcs.

Greatest. Mod. Ever.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Funny enough, even our Bros who talk super tough about not helping are actually pretty helpful.

Tsundere.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I delete the spam by about 7am every morning. Sheesh.

Lol @ "dying on the vine"

I meant no offense by that, but as someone else pointed out, and correct me if that is wrong, but you are the only one moderating this forum, yes? I also want to thank you for your dedication - you do a fantastic job, but it seems to me that it's a lot of work for one person..

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Been a forum rat since the late '90s starting with mountain bikes and Toyota trucks. Moved to Jeeps and VWs in early 2000s...my first posts on the MK4 forums on Vortex were in about 2003 if I search my old username. Always thought it was a great info sharing/help platform....post questions wait for responses...like email. I like that it's a searchable repository of knowledge....like a library someone said above with a bit of social added in. I'm a fast typer which also helps out.

The issues with asking folks to search - it's just astounding to me that folks don't think about doing it, so easy to find most of the info they want and if they can't find it, then the post gets posted and so it goes. I tend to take the position of "I've seen some posts on that before, if you search the forum for XYZ you'll find some good info." The FB groups are good, I mod the GSW/AT group. Search issue comes up there to as the group pages are easily searchable for info just like this forum - I look at it as teaching someone to fish vs. giving them the fish. The FB groups add a lot more of the social bit to it and are a better platform for that aspect. I enjoy both.

I mod the VW Atlas forum - we had a spam issue that was sorted out somehow by the software/admin - I used to clear it daily and was about done when they finally fixed it/we added another mod.

This forum is v. good.

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Been a forum rat since the late '90s starting with mountain bikes and Toyota trucks. Moved to Jeeps and VWs in early 2000s...my first posts on the MK4 forums on Vortex were in about 2003 if I search my old username. Always thought it was a great info sharing/help platform....post questions wait for responses...like email. I like that it's a searchable repository of knowledge....like a library someone said above with a bit of social added in. I'm a fast typer which also helps out.

The issues with asking folks to search - it's just astounding to me that folks don't think about doing it, so easy to find most of the info they want and if they can't find it, then the post gets posted and so it goes. I tend to take the position of "I've seen some posts on that before, if you search the forum for XYZ you'll find some good info." The FB groups are good, I mod the GSW/AT group. Search issue comes up there to as the group pages are easily searchable for info just like this forum - I look at it as teaching someone to fish vs. giving them the fish. The FB groups add a lot more of the social bit to it and are a better platform for that aspect. I enjoy both.

I mod the VW Atlas forum - we had a spam issue that was sorted out somehow by the software/admin - I used to clear it daily and was about done when they finally fixed it/we added another mod.

This forum is v. good.
My man!

See, somebody gets what I'm saying.

cb1111

This forum is v. good.
Yes, forums worked pretty well with dial up modems and I was a mod on one of the early Astra satellite dish forums - back when satellites weren't a thing yet.
My man!

See, somebody gets what I'm saying.
(y)