GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stealth Box. Sub/Amp/Box install. DIY. *lots of pictures*

gfg

Speaker wire has 1 positive and 1 negative how do I get 4? Run 2 cables or try to split each into 2? Sorry if if this is a dumb question.

mk6fan

Ready to race!
Because I did not fully understand at that moment. The Hi level input cable will not reach from my amp to the Head Unit. My question is how do I get 4 cables from the speaker wire so I can connect it from my amp to the head unit.

You can always tap the wires at the rear speakers if your cable is to short to reach the head unit.

Mb9

My stealth box came in today and the cables that are in it don't match the ones on my pioneer sub. Should I just cut the ends off and put them in the spring clamp things on the back of the sub? Btw I'm stoked on how the box came out!

JustinV

Mike,

Thanks for the great tutorial, but the pictures are broke now! Can you edit your links to a flickr page or other location where you have them now?

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
Speaker wire has 1 positive and 1 negative how do I get 4? Run 2 cables or try to split each into 2? Sorry if if this is a dumb question.

depends on if you are trying to get a 2 ohm or 8 ohm load? SPecifics on amp and sub will help

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
Thanks for fixing. Awesome how-to there.

One question, do you notice rattle considering that the sub is underneath the carpet? How about risk of damage to the cone? I'd think you can't put anything heavy above the subwoofer on that area, correct? Maybe Nik can answer as this is his design.

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
Of the 250+ plus underfloor boxes in use, i have had no one contact me about damaging thier sub.

THe stock floor is fairly ridgid. However, you you wanted extra piece of mind, you could make a new hatch floor of plywood, and cut out slots above the sub. This would proide a studier floor, and the slots would act as a grill

tangyraptor

I've been following your guide but I've run into an issue.

I spliced into the wires behind the head unit but once hooked up to the amp, the radio would not turn on and the car would not start. I checked the connections and it turns out that I have different colored wires running to my pinouts than you did. I thought connecting everything to the correct pins would fix my problem, however it has not. I have RR+ as pin 1, RR- as pin 5, RL+ as 4 and RL- as 8. When I remove one of the spliced connections it's like it resets something and the radio will turn on. I have not tried plugging into the amp with only three inputs, so I do not know if the issue will reappear once connected.

Does anyone have an idea of what my issue could be? I have a RCD510 premium 8 radio, the PBR300X1 and my sub has not arrived yet, so the output from the amp is not connected to anything.

tangyraptor

As a bit of an update, I have disconnected all wires from the rear of the head unit and disconnected the power wire from the battery and the issue is still present. I believe it may have something to do with my battery as I have it hooked up to a charger and the engine turns now but only runs briefly or does not start.

I'm going to leave it hooked up for an hour or so and see if it will run (maybe my alternator decided to die at this precise moment?). Are there any fuses linked to the alternator in some way? I believe I checked all of the fuses in the interior and engine compartment boxes and they all looked good.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

tangyraptor

Well turns out it was just multiple levels of stupid on my part.

I somehow drained my battery initially (whether it was from the interior lights and radio while I was running wire or splicing the wrong wires, I don't know) and in my scramble to figure out what was going on (I didn't really think about dead battery since I had just been screwing with the wiring harness) I started checking all of the fuses. Turns out I put the fuel pump fuse back into the wrong slot, so after I tried charging the battery, I wasn't getting fuel to the engine.

Basically unless I can convince my VW shop that something under warranty caused the initial problem, it was a very expensive lesson.

stuartb

See OP's post:-

"Rear Left (+) = Green/Brown (4)
Rear Left (-) = Blue/Brown (8)
Rear Right (+) = Red/Purple (1)
Rear Right (-) = Brown/Purple (5)"

So your 4 match up to these 4. Hopefully I've not misunderstood your question.

Stuart

tangyraptor

See OP's post:-

"Rear Left (+) = Green/Brown (4)
Rear Left (-) = Blue/Brown (8)
Rear Right (+) = Red/Purple (1)
Rear Right (-) = Brown/Purple (5)"

So your 4 match up to these 4. Hopefully I've not misunderstood your question.

Stuart

As the OP said, double check your pins, my wiring colors were slightly different.