GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock tires

flokwon

Hi all,

I'm really close to pull the trigger for the MKVI. The only concern that I have is about the tires, I wonder will the stock all season tires hold up for New York winter? Do I need to get a set of winter tires? My past 2 cars are subaru and I have never had any problems with the all season tires with AWD. Thanks.

zambrowiak

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm getting snow shoes for my baby. I had set of snow tires for my last car and I loved them. I don't know how the stock tires will handle the snow or ice but I know for sure that my blizzaks were great in winter.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, depends on how brave you are. North American Golfs come all seasons branded with Pirellis, Continental or Dunlops.

My car came with Pirelli Pzero Nero all seasons and they will be fine for winter, as long as I do not turn into a madman and start monkeying around. Although, I sourced a winter alloy wheel package cheap which I will be using.

flokwon

Thanks for replying,

I believe I saw Coninental in the dealership. I don't drive like a mad man in the snow especially I know my car is not AWD. I try to avoid getting another set of wheels as much as possible because I'm planning to lease the MKVI.

zee

Go Kart Champion
The Continentals are not too bad in the snow either. People will have issues if they expect to go full/heavy trottle during a snow blizzard with continious grip while running all seasons.

Are your roads plowed often (within 24hrs after snow) or are you driving on packed snow often in your commute?

flokwon

Most of the time I travel on major streets and highways, they are plowed pretty good. If it is really bad, i'll take my wife's subie. Thanks for all your help Bubuski.

GlutenBoy

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I don't how much snow/ice you get in Queens, NY, but here in Québec (Canada) it's now the law to have snow tires. It was proven many times that breaking on ice/snow with good winter tire is WAY more effective than all season. So for security sake I would say put some winter tires.

Also bonus, you'll keep your nice rims out of the harsh salt/sand.

My 2 cents.

bad2bone

Passed Driver's Ed
All it takes is one heavy snow when you least expect it and bam!

I for one use dedicated summer and winter wheels/tires.

Krupnation

Passed Driver's Ed
Get some steelies and nice snow tires. Save your all season tires and nicer rims for the spring and summer months. Snow tires are a must out here in Washington, especially if I'm taking my car up to the mountain to go riding.

krische

vdubber in training
Get some steelies and nice snow tires. Save your all season tires and nicer rims for the spring and summer months. Snow tires are a must out here in Washington, especially if I'm taking my car up to the mountain to go riding.

do 16" steelies fit on the mk6?

flokwon

Thanks for all the help,

Just want to let all of you know, I am taking delivery on Monday. I have to start shopping for winter tires.

2010 GTI, Candy White, 2 Door
Manual Transmission
Xenon headlamps
Sunroof
Bluetooth
Mat Kit.

I'll post some pics up on Monday.