GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sub install

dargudin

I am thinking about getting a 10 or 8 in sub in my gti but I have no idea where to start I know I need the sub a box and and amp but not sure if there’s anything else I need or if there’s a specific amp I need for the sub or any cables etc.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Are you keeping the OEM head unit? If so, which head unit do you have?

You need a fullrange signal from the head unit, honestly you're much better off with an aftermarket stereo.

What you decide to do about the head unit will determine the rest of the supplies needed. If you use an aftermarket head unit, you can just buy an amp kit that has your power, ground, and remote wires as well as RCA's fuse holder and fuse.

The amp you buy will need to be based on how much power you are looking for at whatever impedance your sub is. Generally speaking, getting an amp that puts out good power at 2 ohms and a dvc 4 ohm sub that can be wired to 2 ohms is a great combination.

If you don't use an aftermarket stereo, you may need a line output converter, and you may need to use Vagcom to get a fullrange signal from your head unit.

dargudin

Are you keeping the OEM head unit? If so, which head unit do you have?

You need a fullrange signal from the head unit, honestly you're much better off with an aftermarket stereo.

What you decide to do about the head unit will determine the rest of the supplies needed. If you use an aftermarket head unit, you can just buy an amp kit that has your power, ground, and remote wires as well as RCA's fuse holder and fuse.

The amp you buy will need to be based on how much power you are looking for at whatever impedance your sub is. Generally speaking, getting an amp that puts out good power at 2 ohms and a dvc 4 ohm sub that can be wired to 2 ohms is a great combination.

If you don't use an aftermarket stereo, you may need a line output converter, and you may need to use Vagcom to get a fullrange signal from your head unit.
Yea I’m thinking of keeping the oem head unit it’s the touchscreen one without nav

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
You'll probably need to use Vagcom to get a fullrange output, but I'm not certain since my VW came with a really low end OEM head unit. The rear speaker outputs may be fullrange, you can either test them, or see if someone here can verify. As long as you have a fullrange output you can tap into that. If the amp you choose has high level inputs you will not need an LOC, you can just run speaker wires from the OEM wiring back to the amp. If the amp only has RCA inputs then you'll need an LOC.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
My original sound system change had me leaving in the OEM deck - the RCD510 - which is what it seems you have. What I did was buy a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 processor (back when it came out it could be purchased for under $400. Now, 6+ years later its MSRP is, like, $900) and installed it under the , ran multi-conductor wiring from the RCD510 to the processor's low-level inputs on the 360.3 (this does require a small change using Vag-Com), used paired RCA cables from the 360.3 to a compact digital amp, and then went out to the sub, speakers and tweeters with standard speaker wire. ...Of course, I eventually swapped out the RCD510 for a Kenwood DNX996XR.

Why am I telling you all of this when you just want to add a sub? ....I don't know.....

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
If you just want a sub... nothing else get a LOC ( line out converter) a good one... don't cheap out here. Something like a Audio Control Lc2i or better. Get a mono amp... like an Alpine MRV-M500... relatively cheap but good. Get your sub. Use the rear speakers to tap for the LOC... rear power can be had through the outlet in the hatch...
U can also add a radio knob to control volume of the sub...

There is install direction on here somewhere for diy or your local car stereo shop should be able to do this blindfolded.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...-amp-box-install-diy-lots-of-pictures.222177/