GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subaru BRZ Coupe Review by C&D (brother to the Scion FR-S)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
from another forum....

"Here's some of the more interesting bits from the article:

Only Subaru personnel responsible for engineering and at test track.
Engineering of the prototype dictated the final car's styling rather than vice versa.
Toyota's role was styling the car.
Production line begins May 2012 at Subaru's build center in Gunma Perfecture, Japan
Car will be welded from regular materials such as steel, except for aluminum hood

Subaru and Toyota will share nearly identical versions, sharing:
Subaru flat four FB20 2.0L 200+ hp engine, using Toyota's D4Sport dual port and direct-injection technology (7500rpm redline)
two Aisin 6-speed transmissions (one manual and a conventional automatic). Auto will have 3 modes - auto, manual, and 'temporary manual'
one basic interior
one set of body stampings and glass
** badges, wheels, and small trim items will be different

Suspension is impreza-derived, with coil-over struts in front and three-link rear suspension.
Motor will sit 4.7" lower than Impreza's placement and 9.4" inches closer to the center of the car.
No sunroof.
Notchback trunk (not a hatchback).
Target curb weight during prototyping was 2800 pounds.
Center of gravity: 17.7 inches high (1" lower than Cayman).
Base sticker expected at $28,000 (estimated). "

I'm very excited to see this come out and still keeping my fingers crossed for a high performance version - I don't care what they say, lol.

Scanned article:

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
Says right in the article they had to resist lightweight materials and turbo's to keep the $28,000 price point. RWD is cool...but I will take a WRX over this.

yea but you never know what might happen. they could decide to throw a turbo option in there just to boost interest to the tuner side of the world!

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
The JDM tuners will fall over themselves to make turbo kits for this car. Specs wise, it's a dream. Light, RWD, decently powerful, low slung, affordable(ish). We'll see how it looks, and I hope this pushes honda into putting out a real performance car to replace the late, great, S2K.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Says right in the article they had to resist lightweight materials and turbo's to keep the $28,000 price point. RWD is cool...but I will take a WRX over this.

Mfr's "say" a lot of things.... so I'm hoping that a performance model will come out, because this car with the WRX or STI engine would most likely destroy a WRX OR STI on a road course. Lighter weight, RWD - big pluses.

This could be perfect for me as a second car in a few years - just in time to pay off the GTI, and to see if a higher performance version does come out. Then, since its a new car, better financing options as well (compared to buying a used 2nd sports car), AND its a subaru - most are reliable as all get-out.

The JDM tuners will fall over themselves to make turbo kits for this car. Specs wise, it's a dream. Light, RWD, decently powerful, low slung, affordable(ish). We'll see how it looks, and I hope this pushes honda into putting out a real performance car to replace the late, great, S2K.

this^^^

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
$28k seems VERY high at this point. About $5k too much if you ask me.

I agree 28K is a bit pricey for a 4cyl Coupe. Thats reaching the typical Mustang, Camaro, etc. etc. level.

Hopefully it'll out perform in the twisties.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
IMO for 28k, it should come standard with a turbo. But then again, I'm sure Subaru wouldn't want anything to outperform they're beloved STI. So it makes sense in a way. However, I'd snatch a WRX for 25k way before I considered this thing.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
That really bothers me. Car manufacturers always have "something better" that they dont want the other models to step on the toes of. GTI/Golf R? WRX/STI? Porsche? Focus/Mustang? Anything Chevy/Camaro/Corvette?

The S3-S6 seem to not worry about this statement and just offer a performance version of every model they have. Why cant others be like this?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Same with Cayman vs 911.

New photos released from the Toyota catalog with colors.... most of the colors are Subaru colors, lol.

Satin White Pearl
Sterling Silver Metallic
Dark Grey Metallic
Crystal Black Silica
Lightening Red
Orange Metallic
Galaxy Blue Silica

Shown above, there is a version with unpainted bumpers and steelies for the "tuner crowd", which means Toyota must have a bodykit ready to go via TRD.

Anyhoo, I'm getting very excited/antsy for this car, almost like when I had my first STI. They are reporting that the weight could be as low as 27xxlbs... which would be just off the hook.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm getting excited too. I think with the leak Toyota/Subaru said, "Awww shit...we need to start providing images before there is a mass riot"

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
haha, I think you're right.