GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Options for an Awesome Daily Driver or Track Car

ErsteGTI

Ready to race!
Gotcha. I was more meaning what each part (esp mounts & bushings) does in general and why/what an upgrade is better/will do for your ride. I'm a noob, but after getting thru the entire thread I've a much better idea. Great post. Thanks

Poltergeist

Ready to race!
Oh this thread is back...I just noticed.

just my opinion but the level of NVH from BSH motor mounts are not suitable for DD.

BSH is 78a durometer poly. probably more suitable for track. Smooth ride and drives very well but vibrations are harsh at certain RPM and speed and noise is significantly more noticeable than stock(such as the transmission whirring sound).

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Here is a link to information on Vorshlag camber plates for the Mark V (and a representative confirmed over the phone they also make them for the Mark VI)

ANY Mk.V camber plate or strut mount will fit the Mk.VI. VW still uses the same top mounts.

Anyway I would not recommend the use of solid mounts on a DD. You'll probably hate the noise.

Both TT strut mounts and 034 ones are silent and remain silent.

just my opinion but the level of NVH from BSH motor mounts are not suitable for DD.

BSH is 78a durometer poly. probably more suitable for track. Smooth ride and drives very well but vibrations are harsh at certain RPM and speed and noise is significantly more noticeable than stock(such as the transmission whirring sound).

Agree.

Avoid poly for engine mounts on a DD. Get rubber mounts like THS, Vibratech and the likes.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

Bruce, I'm gearing up for the Bilstein shocks and struts, I'm ordering new strut bolts and bearings, now just need to price out and compare the 034 strut mounts and the Audi TT strut mounts.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!
Bruce, I'm gearing up for the Bilstein shocks and struts, I'm ordering new strut bolts and bearings, now just need to price out and compare the 034 strut mounts and the Audi TT strut mounts.

I'd like to follow how this goes for you HYDE. I intend the same dampers and mounts when my car arrives next month. Any info (ordering, install, customization) would prove useful for me (and many others I suspect).

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I'd like to follow how this goes for you HYDE. I intend the same dampers and mounts when my car arrives next month. Any info (ordering, install, customization) would prove useful for me (and many others I suspect).

Absolutely, The Bruce has supplied us with part numbers for the Audi TT strut mounts, bearings and bolts. I will have the Bilstein HD's installed soon so I will post a separate review thread on running the shocks/struts and Audi TT parts with my Driver Gear springs.

I am choosing the Audi TT strut mounts over 034 since I have already upgraded my car with other Audi TT/S3 components....thus keeping it all in the family.

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
ANY Mk.V camber plate or strut mount will fit the Mk.VI. VW still uses the same top mounts.

Anyway I would not recommend the use of solid mounts on a DD. You'll probably hate the noise.

I had solid mount vorshlag camber plates on an e36 M3 and had no noise at all. Is there something about the Mark V/VI that leads you to think they will be noisy? You are right I would hate my car if camber plates would make my car noisy.

I don't want to use TT control arms because they will cost me a lot of points in NASA Time Trial. The camber plates are free. If I can't get silent camber plates that give me at least 2 degrees, I don't think I will be competitive at the next level I am lookin at.

3fedor3

Passed Driver's Ed
For what it's worth, I run KW Clubsports with the upper mounts. Solid mounts feel great on the track but are a bit harsh on the street from my experience (at least on Michigan roads). You definitely hear more of a solid "thud" when going over expansion joints or small road imperfections. Not enough to rattle your teeth out, but definitely something to consider. If you track a lot, a must IMO. I run -2.25 camber in the front and can get much more.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
You installed the 034 Motorsport or Audi TT strut mounts?

For what it's worth, I run KW Clubsports with the upper mounts. Solid mounts feel great on the track but are a bit harsh on the street from my experience (at least on Michigan roads). You definitely hear more of a solid "thud" when going over expansion joints or small road imperfections. Not enough to rattle your teeth out, but definitely something to consider. If you track a lot, a must IMO. I run -2.25 camber in the front and can get much more.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I think I want to try that red HPA 75 torque insert.

I looked through Halvie's build and he's running it and so are a bunch of MK6 R's on VWVortex.

About DG springs, they are ok if you live where the roads aren't bad. However, my commute has roads with potholes and seams and the DG springs don't react very well to that type of surface. I would describe the ride as a little softer than stock with a tendency to bottom out or get bouncy when the road is rough. I believe NOLA-RON complained about the same thing.

I mostly likely will be going back to stock springs and a 24mm H&R rear bar to replace my 26/22 H&R setup, both set to hard, during my 20K service.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I think I want to try that red HPA 75 torque insert.

I looked through Halvie's build and he's running it and so are a bunch of MK6 R's on VWVortex.

About DG springs, they are ok if you live where the roads aren't bad. However, my commute has roads with potholes and seams and the DG springs don't react very well to that type of surface. I would describe the ride as a little softer than stock with a tendency to bottom out or get bouncy when the road is rough. I believe NOLA-RON complained about the same thing.

I mostly likely will be going back to stock springs and a 24mm H&R rear bar to replace my 26/22 H&R setup, both set to hard, during my 20K service.

We are on the same page...

I have the DG springs and I find them rough at times for NJ roads. I'm upsizing to 19" wheels shortly but will also add Bilstein HD shocks/struts to try and smooth things out. I have the H&R 26 front / 22 rear sway bar combo and may up my rear 22 to hard. I also have the HPA red puck and it's great but does cause added vibrations/rattles at low speeds.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
We are on the same page...

I have the DG springs and I find them rough at times for NJ roads. I'm upsizing to 19" wheels shortly but will also add Bilstein HD shocks/struts to try and smooth things out. I have the H&R 26 front / 22 rear sway bar combo and may up my rear 22 to hard. I also have the HPA red puck and it's great but does cause added vibrations/rattles at low speeds.

You might want to try Koni FSD's they minimized the crashing I would feel on stock shocks. I had Bilstein touring (black tube) shocks on my Volvo 240 DL with Eibach sport springs and the ride was pan-hard and bouncy.

I'm guessing that the Bilstein HD's will probably ride even harder.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
You installed the 034 Motorsport or Audi TT strut mounts?

KW Clubsports WITH upper mounts should mean with KW solid/pillow ball upper mounts.
That's why they feel harsh on bad roads. And that's why he's running -2.25° of camber
on front.

You might want to try Koni FSD's they minimized the crashing I would feel on stock shocks. I had Bilstein touring (black tube) shocks on my Volvo 240 DL with Eibach sport springs and the ride was pan-hard and bouncy.

I'm guessing that the Bilstein HD's will probably ride even harder.

I wouldn't blame the shocks for that. Even more it's a different car and
don't get me wrong, but we have experiences better suited for the GTI.