GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of buying

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
This cars motor came out in 09. Probably not to many of them have hit 150k yet.

JhnR

Banned
150k screams for a KO4 upgrade with full internals. :D

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Do as you wish, follow your hart. The GTI is a fantastic car and should do 150K with no problem. Keep up the maintenance, don't drive it like you stole it. And above all enjoy the GTI.

Scumby

Passed Driver's Ed
Any doubts? Always consult Consumer Reports. Their famous April Auto issue is out now, and they have recommended the GTI MkVI in the past. Works for me. :thumbsup:

GSXR

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup. You test drove it and now you're screwed. This is my first German car and it's different but in a good way. Sorry, can't talk you out of this one. I say buy it!

Low-Cod-9662

Passed Driver's Ed
Any doubts? Always consult Consumer Reports. Their famous April Auto issue is out now, and they have recommended the GTI MkVI in the past. Works for me. :thumbsup:

Well I certainly can see why Consumer Reports recommended it. It's a good car. Fun to drive, good value, great interior. The only thing really holding me back is reliability. That's all... which it doesn't score too high on in Consumer Reports. Part of this is probably the DSG. I know thats certainly a common point of failure. Its not as reliable as an auto, but its fun and there's a price to pay.

That and the fact that I could be a boring guy and get a cheaper car. I drove it yet again today. Oh so close to pulling that trigger. I just didn't have time to do the paperwork since I had to rush off to a evening class. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:

Scumby

Passed Driver's Ed
IMO, you've already convinced yourself not to get one. If I were you, I'd get a Camry or maybe an Accord coupe. I've had two Camry's and my dad has 2 Avalons. Reliability is simply not an issue with Toyota. Sex appeal, impressing people you don't know, respect from Valets, and the fun to drive factor will be covered by the GTI better than a Toyota if you need that sort of thing. I have 99,500 miles on my MkV GTI, and never once had a DSG issue. Any money I've put into my GTI has strictly been factory scheduled maintenance. Everything else was covered by the warranty.

Bcon

Ready to race!
To me, the key is to understand what you're buying. I've owned many VW/Audis over the years, and many Hondas. I can say with complete confidence that the VW's have had more issues than the Hondas, but none of them were unexpected or unfixable. The problem happens when people buy something expecting something it's not.

If you go into the purchase understanding the risk of slightly less reliability, you won't be as disappointed when it happens. That's just the way it is. For me, that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make for the sheer joy of driving and owning a VW.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Coming into a GTI, you accept the fact that it is not a Toyota and may have a few reliability hiccups along the way. If you can not accept that, do not purchase a German car. I am not saying that it will be unreliable, just that if it does require repair, you would have already been prepared in your mind and not too surprised. Kinda like having a $1000 deductible, you may never get in an accident, but if you do, you already expect to front that first grand. Happy Shopping!!

flyguy27

Ready to race!
To me, the key is to understand what you're buying. I've owned many VW/Audis over the years, and many Hondas. I can say with complete confidence that the VW's have had more issues than the Hondas, but none of them were unexpected or unfixable. The problem happens when people buy something expecting something it's not.

If you go into the purchase understanding the risk of slightly less reliability, you won't be as disappointed when it happens. That's just the way it is. For me, that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make for the sheer joy of driving and owning a VW.

Hahaha we both posted basically the same thing. Good stuff though! :wosschilder980:

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm just about at 2 years and 23K miles. Absolutly no problems. I smile every time I drive my GTI, if you love to drive, this is the car. Around here only old people drive Honda and Toyota. Any how I just go over to the VW dealer to get a free bag of popcorn and wander the lot, they are waiting for their first "R", and I will get a chance to drive it.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Well I certainly can see why Consumer Reports recommended it. It's a good car. Fun to drive, good value, great interior. The only thing really holding me back is reliability. That's all... which it doesn't score too high on in Consumer Reports. Part of this is probably the DSG. I know thats certainly a common point of failure. Its not as reliable as an auto, but its fun and there's a price to pay.

That and the fact that I could be a boring guy and get a cheaper car. I drove it yet again today. Oh so close to pulling that trigger. I just didn't have time to do the paperwork since I had to rush off to a evening class. Maybe tomorrow.

what is the common failure in the DSG? I already put 30k miles on mine in 11 months and had zero issues.