GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The GTI Rattle and solution thread

rondocap

Ready to race!
So as there are so many various forum topics on various rattles issues, I figure it'd be nice to have people post in one thread what rattle that they had and what they did to fix it.

I'll start, and these I found by searching the forum and reading a lot:

These fixes may fix your issue, but it could also be unrelated. It's just an idea to try, it may help you out.

Symptom: Rattle and noise from doors, and rear seats
Fix: Friction or felt tape on the latches of all doors and rear seat latches
Outcome: Car is quieter, and doors seem to slam shut with a better clunk

Symptom: Hatch rattle and clunk noise
Fix 1: Adjust the rubber nozzles on the hatch door, as the metal to metal can scrap and create rattles, you can also add felt tape to these areas where the metal connects
Fix 2: Make sure the screw that holds down the spare tire is secured, if needed add some felt tape or even foam under it to keep it from rattling
Outcome: While it is hard to eliminate all hatch noises, these can certainly help.

Things I am still figuring out:

Metallic rapid rattle, usually over rough roads at highway speeds. I thought it was loose change, but it's clean - so my next step is figuring out if the e-brake button and assembly is making that rattle, or the center console.

The spare tire area I think still needs a bit more foam or sound deadening material, as over bumps the spare tire, even when tightly screwed down, seems to make a clanking noise.

Add your own!

rondocap

Ready to race!
I found a solution to that metallic rattle, that sounds like loose chain rattling. For the longest time I thought it was the passenger seat and the clip on the beam underneath it, but it wasn't -

I was tapping random places, and I tapped the E-hand brake. That's it! The button rattles and sounds like a fast paced metallic shuffling noise. I inserted some paper/card material in the spaces between the button, and the noise completely went away.

I have also narrowed my hatch rattle down to the spare tire area. The tools and tire, even when strapped down, still rattle over bumps. I am adding some foam around the tire and tool area to help absorb the sounds and impact a bit, I need to do more but so far the noise has been reduced decently.

The last remaining rattle I have is coming from somewhere on the passenger seat, when over bumps. You can hear it if you hit the seat, too. I am not sure what it is yet, sounds like a loose clip or something.

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
This rattle showed up for me about a month ago. Some sort of clunking noise around the passenger side c pillar that's driving me nuts. My car is a 2 door. At first I thought the rear seats were loose but that doesn't seem to be the case. Also tried messing around with the seatbelts. And of course it developed right after I took it in for the 10k service so I don't know if I have a big enough reason to take it in. I guess that's why they made the service intervals so far apart...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Rubber nozzles on hatch door...

As in the stops?

rondocap

Ready to race!
Rubber nozzles on hatch door...

As in the stops?

Yes, I meant the stops - sorry the name escaped me at the time of writing, ha.

I really think the spare tire area is clanky. The screw that holds the tire is on tight, but over bumps that Styrofoam material that holds the tools and the tire still move around a bit.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion

I really think the spare tire area is clanky. The screw that holds the tire is on tight, but over bumps that Styrofoam material that holds the tools and the tire still move around a bit.

Same.

Sticky back velcro under the foam is an idea.

In theory it works, I might try it out tomorrow.

dallasjetfan

Ready to race!

I used to get an annoying squeak that seemed to be cause by the spare tire cover rubbing on something. So I decided to put a towel under the cover and wrapped it around the edges which has removed the sound. Since I have a dog that rides everywhere with me, I added towels to the seat backs and rest of the hatch area. I wish I could figure out a way to get a little sound deadening in the hatch.

rondocap

Ready to race!
So I also added some padding (Foam and a bit of rubber) under the spare tire, as that was giving me a clunk over bumps, and it's definitely improved.

I also tried the 1/4 inch Vinyl Tubing between the door seals, and it seems to have reduced some of the wind noise.

The last rattle that I have is coming from the passenger seat, I think the top portion. It sounds like it is inside, when I hit it I hear the rattle - almost like a loose clip. Anyone else experience this?

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Ok I found two.

1) Squeaking from hatch area especially annoying on bumps.

Cause: Styrofoam trunk inserts that surround the spare was rubbing against each other and the hatch sheet metal making dolphin noises.

Fix: Put some black Gorilla tape on the sides and bottom of the inserts. Reduced the noises by about 80%. Will line the bare hatch sheet metal with this: http://secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier.php and see if that further improves things.

2) Plastic rattling noises coming from hatch area.

Cause: LED wiring adapter wires were hitting the sheet metal.

Fix: Wrapped wires in friction tape. Used some Gorilla tape to prevent the wires from moving around.

3) Yet to solve. Tapping noises from somewhere behind front seats.

rondocap

Ready to race!
I bought some "fat mat" sound deadening material, which is similar to dynamat. I'm going to line the hatch floor where the spare tire is, removing the Styrofoam compartments, and then also placing BMW felt tape on them. I think this should cure a lot of the rattle coming from the back hatch. It should come in a week or so, I will post up results.

After that, the last rattle I have is on my passenger seat. It's somewhere inside the seat. When I hit the headrest, I can hear it rattle - like a loose clip or something. Anyone have any idea how I can get in the seat, or figure out what this rattle is?

Last edited:

dallasjetfan

Ready to race!
Ok I found two.

1) Squeaking from hatch area especially annoying on bumps.

Cause: Styrofoam trunk inserts that surround the spare was rubbing against each other and the hatch sheet metal making dolphin noises.

Fix: Put some black Gorilla tape on the sides and bottom of the inserts. Reduced the noises by about 80%. Will line the bare hatch sheet metal with this: http://secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier.php and see if that further improves things.

2) Plastic rattling noises coming from hatch area.

Cause: LED wiring adapter wires were hitting the sheet metal.

Fix: Wrapped wires in friction tape. Used some Gorilla tape to prevent the wires from moving around.

3) Yet to solve. Tapping noises from somewhere behind front seats.

Very interested to see if this will help.

C4L

Banned
For my door rattles I use white lithium grease on all the contact points and striker for the door. It works very well and I have only needed to reapply it once in more then 12 months.

I will try this felt tape though because the white lithium grease doesn't help some of the noise created by the doors seemingly not closing all the way.