GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official K04 Club (Experiences and Troubleshooting)

allset

Go Kart Champion

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
Well, anyways, if your car bucks with our software, and you've owned it for several years, and are right up the road, please take a trip down so we can look into it.

We'll be more than glad to help, obviously.

what if it's not the software?
Your test car, Allset, Hyde, and Grambles all had APR k04, APR software, carbonio, and with the exception of Allset, the APR downpipe. So they all had very similar hardware and software, except your test car didn't have the APR intercooler, or any aftermarket intercooler like the other 3 cars did.

Given that all things are equal except the intercooler, could the intercooler perhaps play a role in this? too much air? pressure change? I'm not too familiar with the physics behind an intercooler, so again this is more of me asking a question as opposed to making an accusation.

(again not trying to say the APR intercooler is the cause, i'm sure other people who have experienced the surging/oscillation have had intercoolers like the s3 too)

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
what if it's not the software?
Your test car, Allset, Hyde, and Grambles all had APR k04, APR software, carbonio, and with the exception of Allset, the APR downpipe. So they all had very similar hardware and software, except your test car didn't have the APR intercooler, or any aftermarket intercooler like the other 3 cars did.

Given that all things are equal except the intercooler, could the intercooler perhaps play a role in this? too much air? pressure change? I'm not too familiar with the physics behind an intercooler, so again this is more of me asking a question as opposed to making an accusation.

(again not trying to say the APR intercooler is the cause, i'm sure other people who have experienced the surging/oscillation have had intercoolers like the s3 too)

Good question and really good theory, but check this out:

I swapped out my stock intercooler for an APR a week ago. [ . . . ] The part throttle oscillations have almost completely disappeared and haven't come back yet (I've been in 93 mode for the week since the IC install).

In addition to the faster spooling benefits from the IC, I'm _really_ happy that the misfires and part throttle oscillations are gone. I was somewhat considering switching tunes before, but as long as the above issues don't come back I'm completely happy with where things are now on my car. I"m keeping my fingers crossed.

So I'm still scratching my head. What you're saying could make sense, but if that was the case, Id be surprised we didn't see it before. I'll get an IC installed on the car we have here anyways. Can't hurt and I'm sure the owner will be happy. ; )

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
This shit is impossible to troubleshoot without the car. People search the forum for a solution for their problem. Then hear someone describe something similar and start calling it the problem. The crazy thing is not everyone gets it, I know I didn't with APR software, oscillation that is.

Bcon

Ready to race!
Arin,

Thanks for the discussion.

I don't have a boost gauge, so I didn't "see" fluctuation, I "feel" it. It's wasn't faint either, it was blatantly obvious to anyone in the car.

Here's the condition: Take off from a stop in D and hold the throttle steady at 1/3 to 1/2. As the rpm goes through the 2k-3.5K range it surges/lurches like crazy. Car shifts, rpms drop, cycle repeats. Only happens when the car is fully warm, no surging at all until its completely warmed up. Switch programs and it goes away for a day or two, then returns.
Surging was less pronounced in 91 vs 93, but still very noticeable. No boost leaks, no codes, ever.

Car: 2012DSG CBFA

This was with the following mods: APR K04 (installed a the BBQ in Oct), APR downpipe, R8 coil packs, and PFR7B plugs gapped at 0.028, stock air box, stock intercooler, stock cat back.

As I mentioned, last week I installed the APR intercooler and the surging is 90 plus percent gone and hasn't worsened over the last week. The car is a joy now.

I also had cold start misfires and these haven't happened for the last week.

I still get a hesitation when hitting full throttle, but it's not that bad. Occasionally before if I hit full throttle on the interstate at about 4k rpm the car would hesitate, surge, then go into limp mode. I haven't been able to repeat that this week. It still hesitates, but it recovers and then pulls hard.

I would have loved to have it at your shop to show you, but it's a heck of a long way. I'd run logs for you, but it's pointless now it it's not happening.

I was never upset about the situation, I just considered them annoyances and the nature of the beast.

I have absolutely no idea why an intercooler changed this in my specific case, but I'm not complaining. I didn't do the intercooler swap attempting to fix the surging, it was just a very welcome side effect.

Last edited:

ehancock

Ready to race!
I might have asked this before but is a long third gears pull supposed to sound like a flock of pigeons?

Sometimes it flutters something fierce. Sometimes it's just a smooth whooshing noise. I feel like when it flutters it doesn't pull as hard. I cannot reproduce that fluttering every time though.

Bcon

Ready to race!
Waste gate is regulating boost control. Normal.

I've come to accept and adore the K04 pigeons. I've even named them - Sid and Nancy ( since they're crazy and unpredictable).

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
My vehicle was not this linear.

It was perfectly ok until around 10-15psi when you could literally feel the car shift its dynamic to meet the request, once there, the car would fall in psi and buck up and down from 5-15psi like an on and off switch.

This is EXACTLY what my car does. My theory is that this issue affects mostly us DSG people.

allset

Go Kart Champion
This is EXACTLY what my car does. My theory is that this issue affects mostly us DSG people.

mine did sorta the same at the top of gears, i described it as hesitation but it hesitated in sysnc with the boost actuation sounds and needle movements

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Moved some of the K04 issues to this thread