GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The wait is over... Revo'ed my R

stephen8512

Ready to race!
:dnftt:
Where did u guys pop out from? U ain't even got wheels and u've got nerve:rolleyes:

The GT mate is non existent other than in the UK since mkVI.
The GT in the same manner could have been regarded as a GTI wannabe. The R-Line is a special edition. It's a VW kit, is part of VW racing and out here the prices in Europe are higher. The R-Line is as much as AUD 40k do the math...

what r u guys new trolls? Take a hike before u get us started.

like i said, i wasnt trying to pick a fight and i was just genuinely curious as i am not from cyprus.

You are right. The GT sports was a wannabe GTI. Even a few of my friends who have GT Sports TDI and TSI all agree (however most purchased it because they couldnt afford a GTI back then). GT Sports is an economical version of the GTI (as it had many of the things the GTI had, both interior and exterior) and a more sportier version of the original golf. And you say yours is the economical version of the R20? Your comparison is probably better suited to the GTI than the Golf R because a TSI doesnt have AWD and is FF. Plus, power wise its a lot closer to the GTI than compared to the R. (TSI has 160bhp if i remember? and the Golf GTI puts out 200. Golf R is somewhere in the 260's)

I don't think the R-Line was part of VW Racing. The R-Line as I understand is the same car (i.e Golf TSI in your case) but with R features such as bigger wheels, perhaps different steering wheel, different body styling etc. Its basically a sportier version of the original TSI with some distinguishing features. as per these two links

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/volkswagen-r-line-ar79196.html

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10611305588/vw-r-line-packages-revealed
(this one is a bit old as it talks about the MKV, but still relevent in this case)

It's like the M division of BMW. A 3 series BMW with an M sports pack doesnt mean its "the more economical version of the M3". It's closer to the 3 series, not the M3. Going by that logic, u can say all 3 series are the economical version of the M3. Correct terminology would be its a sportier version of the 3 series.

Which brings me back to my original question....if YOUR car was more expensive to buy than a GTI, WHY did u get this instead of the GTI? Because, as I said, Im curious to know and most people tend to get a GTI if they have the money for it (or a Golf R for that matter) Plus, the engine in the GTI gives more power, is more tuneable, has much more of a cult following, history, more aftermarket support and would be easier to sell later on down the track (if u were ever to sell it). It's probably a personal thing I know....

Did you get the TSI for fuel economy? Do you travel long distances? is insurance higher? you liked the quieter ride? the fact that its a bit more luxurious than the GTI? or did you just simply like the the fact it was a TSI and not a GTI? :iono:

It'd be like having the money to buy the Mona Lisa and then buying one exactly like it, same size, etc but as a poster from the gift shop, as its the more "economical" version.

Let it be understood plain and simple that im not rubbishing your car. Not by any means. I really do think the TSI is a great little car for a runabout in a congested city like in Sydney or London and it would be better than my Golf R in terms of fuel economy thats for sure.. Im just trying to understand why, if you had the money, you bought a TSI if you had the money to buy a GTI....

Last edited:

shahabdin

Ready to race!
like i said, i wasnt trying to pick a fight and i was just genuinely curious as i am not from cyprus.

You are right. The GT sports was a wannabe GTI. Even a few of my friends who have GT Sports TDI and TSI all agree (however most purchased it because they couldnt afford a GTI back then). GT Sports is an economical version of the GTI (as it had many of the things the GTI had, both interior and exterior) and a more sportier version of the original golf. And you say yours is the economical version of the R20? Your comparison is probably better suited to the GTI than the Golf R because a TSI doesnt have AWD and is FF. Plus, power wise its a lot closer to the GTI than compared to the R. (TSI has 160bhp if i remember? and the Golf GTI puts out 200. Golf R is somewhere in the 260's)

I don't think the R-Line was part of VW Racing. The R-Line as I understand is the same car (i.e Golf TSI in your case) but with R features such as bigger wheels, perhaps different steering wheel, different body styling etc. Its basically a sportier version of the original TSI with some distinguishing features. as per these two links

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/volkswagen-r-line-ar79196.html

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10611305588/vw-r-line-packages-revealed
(this one is a bit old as it talks about the MKV, but still relevent in this case)

It's like the M division of BMW. A 3 series BMW with an M sports pack doesnt mean its "the more economical version of the M3". It's closer to the 3 series, not the M3. Going by that logic, u can say all 3 series are the economical version of the M3. Correct terminology would be its a sportier version of the 3 series.

Which brings me back to my original question....if YOUR car was more expensive to buy than a GTI, WHY did u get this instead of the GTI? Because, as I said, Im curious to know and most people tend to get a GTI if they have the money for it (or a Golf R for that matter) Plus, the engine in the GTI gives more power, is more tuneable, has much more of a cult following, history, more aftermarket support and would be easier to sell later on down the track (if u were ever to sell it). It's probably a personal thing I know....

Did you get the TSI for fuel economy? Do you travel long distances? is insurance higher? you liked the quieter ride? the fact that its a bit more luxurious than the GTI? or did you just simply like the the fact it was a TSI and not a GTI? :iono:

It'd be like having the money to buy the Mona Lisa and then buying one exactly like it, same size, etc but as a poster from the gift shop, as its the more "economical" version.

Let it be understood plain and simple that im not rubbishing your car. Not by any means. I really do think the TSI is a great little car for a runabout in a congested city like in Sydney or London and it would be better than my Golf R in terms of fuel economy thats for sure.. Im just trying to understand why, if you had the money, you bought a TSI if you had the money to buy a GTI....

:) No worries mate!

The GTI is even more expensive than my car out here. I would need to spend an extra 4k EUR to buy her and she would be without the full extras that I almost have on my R-Line.

Secondly, yes for fuel economy and road tax reasons. A 2.0Litre engine here burdens with much higher road tax fees in the region of 2-300 EUR per annum.
Another cost saving factor.

So at the end of the day you could say Yes for fuel economy reasons and also for price reasons. The base GTI would not have the bi-xenon headlights, the 18" rims, the rear LED lights (out here no - in US it seems they do), the MDI, the DCC, the auto parking functionality.

When I was referring to being more expensive than the GTI, more expensive in comparison to the US GTI price.

If I were to go for the same options on the GTI as my car it would touch 40k EUR almost the price for the R20 - which I can't afford - not unless they accepted a trade in on my other car at a good value - which these days u'd be lucky if they even offer you around 50% value of brand new after just 3 years...
Yes ur right the TSI puts out 160hp. I also do prefer the look of the R-Line front bumper, rear bumper somewhat.

Hope it answer's ur question. Personally, I checked the price of the R20 in the UK which is more affordable than out here. Only slightly more than my R-Line is worth. We are also burdened out here in Cyprus by higher duties hence the ridiculous price of cars. However I believe in Norway the situation is much worse :/

Cheers

P.S. If u have an R why ain't you got it ur drives statement, even if it is a mkV? It still is a Golf!

shahabdin

Ready to race!

stephen8512

Ready to race!

The GTI is even more expensive than my car out here. I would need to spend an extra 4k EUR to buy her and she would be without the full extras that I almost have on my R-Line.

Secondly, yes for fuel economy and road tax reasons. A 2.0Litre engine here burdens with much higher road tax fees in the region of 2-300 EUR per annum.
Another cost saving factor.

So at the end of the day you could say Yes for fuel economy reasons and also for price reasons. The base GTI would not have the bi-xenon headlights, the 18" rims, the rear LED lights (out here no - in US it seems they do), the MDI, the DCC, the auto parking functionality.

When I was referring to being more expensive than the GTI, more expensive in comparison to the US GTI price.

Oh okay thought that would have been the case. I was confused as to why u bought the TSI if the GTI was cheaper but now I guess it makes sense.

cars are generally cheaper in the US. an M3 here in australia costs more than 100K brand new however my cousin recently bought an E92 M3 for just under 47K, with 6000 miles on the clock. Pretty much nothing...seeing as how the US currency is on parity with the AUD, more or less.

Hope it answer's ur question. Personally, I checked the price of the R20 in the UK which is more affordable than out here. Only slightly more than my R-Line is worth. We are also burdened out here in Cyprus by higher duties hence the ridiculous price of cars. However I believe in Norway the situation is much worse :/

Yep thats fine. We have luxury car tax here for cars over a certain amt here too. I almost had to pay LCT on my car when I bought it from the dealers but i haggled the price down so that it was just under.

P.S. If u have an R why ain't you got it ur drives statement, even if it is a mkV? It still is a Golf!

What do you mean? Do you mean the signature down on the bottom of each of my posts? I just couldnt be bothered really. BTW I dont have a MK5...I have a MK6 Golf R

Mischievous M1

Ready to race!
Wow... What have i been missing whilst I have been on holiday? :lol:

Shahabdin, if you haven't already found out the R badge is held in by a bolt from behind the grill. :) I get what you mean by the R-line deal... similar concept to how Audi has S-Line and BMW has ///M sport. Black sure is a nice color but a pain to maintain ay.

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!

AKs-R32

Ready to race!

We are also burdened out here in Cyprus by higher duties hence the ridiculous price of cars. However I believe in Norway the situation is much worse :/

So il take that as you are from the greek side of cyprus?

Mischievous M1

Ready to race!
Good looking car Man ! :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy... some new pics with my new wheels.

Awesome car man!!

Oh okay thought that would have been the case. I was confused as to why u bought the TSI if the GTI was cheaper but now I guess it makes sense.

Hey bro... just got back from my hols couple of days ago and yea i have been stupidly MIA. got some new goodies... to share with you! will put up a new thread tomorrow.

stephen8512

Ready to race!
Hey bro... just got back from my hols couple of days ago and yea i have been stupidly MIA. got some new goodies... to share with you! will put up a new thread tomorrow.

Ahahaha mate ur gonna send me broke....ur car is now the benchmark for me...

im doing all the suspension stuff first whereas u went with the POWAHHHHH!!!! I guess this way I can tell u what works and what doesnt so u only have to spend ur money once.....and once correctly :)

Im getting sway bars fitted next week (H&R items...same model# as the MK5 R32) and already got the whiteline antilift kit and unibrace UB chassis bracing done. Coilovrs will be either Bilstein PSS10's or KW V3's :) Power will come later. First, sort out handling. Thats always been my starting point for all my cars :)

cant wait to see ur new goodies. btw check ur email re: sprintbooster and let me know when paypal is up

Mischievous M1

Ready to race!