GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

There is hope. BRZ STI

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
The Toyobaru is a little pricey when you think of it in terms of a little Japanese coupe with 200 hp and skinny tires. But what you're paying for is a relatively niche product. It's built on it's own platform and because of that, it's one of the only RWD sport compacts available. It also has an awesome chasis as it is designed just for the sporty car that it is.

You get more in terms of features and powah for the same money with something like a GTI, but that's because it's based on the Golf, which is one of the best selling cars in the world. This limits the cars ultimate performance though. At it's roots, it will always be based on a FWD hatchback. Both cars are good and serve very different purposes. Both are also priced fairly in the current market IMO.

I understand that, but for 25K I can go and get a Camaro with a 300+hp V6, a Mustange with a 300+ V6, or a Challenger with almost 300hp...Then there is a Genisis Coupe for about the same price...

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
That's true. I'm partial to Mustangs and they're a great deal. But if you don't like big, heavy cars, you're pretty much left with the twins.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
That's true. I'm partial to Mustangs and they're a great deal. But if you don't like big, heavy cars, you're pretty much left with the twins.

The car's sticker on the door said it weighed in at almost 3300lbs... the mustang isn't that much heavier and has more hp and about the same cornering, and so does the Genisis... now the Camaro and Challenger on the other hand... over 2 tons, they need the V8 to be quick

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I thought the Toyobaru was about 2700 pounds? Still not as light as it should be. That car should be 2400.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
The car's sticker on the door said it weighed in at almost 3300lbs... the mustang isn't that much heavier and has more hp and about the same cornering, and so does the Genisis... now the Camaro and Challenger on the other hand... over 2 tons, they need the V8 to be quick

Manual BRZ is supposed to weigh 2800-2900 lbs.

The only comparable car on the market today is the Cayman.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Obviously, but the car was built for the purpose of handling, and most importantly, control. To me, the BRZ is designed for people who love driving (read: not racing, not auto-x, not tracking).

uhhhh., no. :lol: ;)

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Manual BRZ is supposed to weigh 2800-2900 lbs.

The only comparable car on the market today is the Cayman.

I highlighted the KEY Word...

Not sure if the one I was looking at had anything else on it or what, but looking through my phone pics I took a pic and it is stating 3268lbs... Much heavier than 2800-2900... UNLESS that is with NO FLUIDS... after all, we all know that when oil and gas are added it brings the weight of the car up a few hundred

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
The 3268 lbs on the door jamb is the maximum gross vehicle weight rating, with driver, passenger, fluids, and cargo. Should've had GVWR attached to it.

GVWR is not the actual curb weight.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Current GTI owner, also own an FR-S. I've had the FR-S for about a year now (10k miles) so I figure this would be a good time to update. It's been fairly reliable for a first-year production car. Only warranty work was a dealer ECU reflash for the cam timing issue, which was done in about an hour. No problems since then.

I've had a busy summer with work (and getting married and buying a house), so most of the miles have been city driving, but I've taken it out to a handful of autocrosses. Only mods are tires/wheels, but as mentioned, that makes a big difference on this car. The usual Z2 SS or Rivals are good for a 3 second improvement over a 30-45 second course. As the reviews say, the balance on this car is very good w stock suspension. Even on sticky tires, you can adjust the car's attitude in corners using the throttle (power oversteer) or brakes (trail braking). The car also gives excellent feedback, so you can ride that line between grip and slip easily. The steering is quick/direct (2.5 turns L-to-L), so you leave your hands at 9-3 for most of the course. Fun car to drive at the limit.

I'm surprised at the comments about the FR-S/BRZ being slow at the track. Mod-for-mod, these cars are proving to be comparable in laptimes to S2000's. Guys who've extensively tracked and data-logged both show the Twins with the advantage in cornering speed at the bolt-ons level. These cars have also smashed (by 2-3 seconds) TTD course records at tracks like Sebring, Roebling Road and Gingerman with limited mods (coilovers, tires, pads, tune).

I'm hoping to get this car out to VIR or SP a few times before the year ends. I probably won't have time to do any additional mods beyond pads/fluid and camber bolts up front, but based on how it does in autocross, I think the stock suspension will be fine for the track on street tires.

The way I see it, the BRZ/FR-S is a great alternative for someone who doesn't want to deal with the hassle of putting in a roll cage in an S2000 just to be able to run track days with it. These are lightweight cars you can drive on a daily basis, and track/autocross with on weekends. The biggest downside to me is the power delivery (specifically the torque dip), but it looks like a UEL header + tune solves that issue completely. I'll probably look into that for next year.

BTW the GTI is doing great too, just a very different car built for a different purpose. Hard to make a direct comparison.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I highlighted the KEY Word...

Not sure if the one I was looking at had anything else on it or what, but looking through my phone pics I took a pic and it is stating 3268lbs... Much heavier than 2800-2900... UNLESS that is with NO FLUIDS... after all, we all know that when oil and gas are added it brings the weight of the car up a few hundred

No. Curb weight on the FR-S is 2758 lbs.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
The 3268 lbs on the door jamb is the maximum gross vehicle weight rating, with driver, passenger, fluids, and cargo. Should've had GVWR attached to it.

GVWR is not the actual curb weight.

I know the difference between Curb and Gross weight... the weight didn't have GVWR attached, it was something else, can't make out the letters next to it (crappy 2meg pix cell phone)

So like I said, seems heavier than it should

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
sounds like a japanese liberal conspiracy to me....

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't doubt the weight, that car is tiny and has a lawnmower engine and prius tires/wheels. I am sure it's as light as claimed.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Just checked the door jamb sticker on the FR-S in the showroom here at my dealership. FR-S and BRZ are produced on the same production line.

GVWR = 3748 lbs on the FR-S, likely higher than the BRZ due to stiffer rear springs. They also utilize a lot of high-strength steel on these cars, which when used right, ends up making a car lighter.

The car weighs in at right around 2800 lbs, give or take, believe it or not.