GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Think I made a big mistake...

Eroc93

Ready to race!
About 2 months ago I bought a 2010 gti DSG with 18k miles.. Thought I had a great deal big impulse buy, traded in my 5 speed 2.5 golf..
I'm really regretting getting a automatic car! Nothing feels the same I don't have have the same joy as I did driving my golf maybe stage 2 is calling my name and it'll change my views on driving this car. As of now changing to a 6 speed is my only option.
I'm now 20k in the hole. Doubt they'll give me anything close to what I owe if I trade in. What's everyone getting on their trades on a 2010?
Will this affect my credit if I change cars this fast?
Who wants a dsg? Haha
Being 20 years old pretty hard to come out this one.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
You went from a 2.5 Golf to a GTI and you're complaining? Damn...maybe I need to get rid of my GTI and find a Golf.

No way I would ever DOWNGRADE my friend......

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Let me guess. You thought those few seconds you would shave off your 0-60 or 1/4 mile time would make it worth switching from manual to auto? Har har har! I'm sorry, but just cause the auto has a cool name (DSG), it does not substitute for the lack of fun of actually feeling a car. How cool does it feel when you have both hands firmly planted on the steering wheel and 1 foot slammed down on a pedal? That's what I thought.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Wow...so much fail

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I would have taken the DSG had I known what I know now. I love driving a manual, but there are so many things about the GTI that are meant for DSG. The powerband, FWD, throttle response, etc. With a manual I feel the fwd nature every day - it's annoying to launch this car quickly. Even when I'm not going for the fastest 0-60 times, just trying to get ahead of traffic. I've had to shell out about $1k on a clutch so that I could enjoy even stage 1 power levels with stock NVH.

Eroc93

Ready to race!
Nope heard good things about the dsg.. There's just a void of excitement that only driving a stick could bring

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Nope heard good things about the dsg.. There's just a void of excitement that only driving a stick could bring

Just ask those folks who have to shell out $1K+ for a clutch upgrade. That's not a few bucks we're talking about.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Oh well, at least the OP isn't the only one! I had to abandon the manual due to arthritis in my left knee. For some stupid reason, I convinced myself that a FWD car with DSG was a good idea when I pretty much loathe FWD. Looking back, that was a STUPID mistake on my part!

While I go on and on complaining about it on the forums, I have accepted that the GTI is a car that gets me there. From that aspect, it is perfectly fine. When I reach the break-even point, I'll remedy my bad situation by ditching the GTI and getting something else, preferably with AWD or RWD. Option B is to keep the GTI solely as a commuter car and get something AWD or RWD with a manual transmission. It's not the end of the world and it only takes money to fix the regret.

But I do feel the OP's pain!

ralphykid67

Ready to race!
I don't care what anyone says (and I mean no offense) but I have no idea why anyone would buy an automatic GTI. Totally defeats the purpose of having a fun, sporty, small, turbo charged car with great handling. No amount of technology and sport mode, manual mode, double clutch whatever the hell will change that for me. Ever.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
I don't care what anyone says (and I mean no offense) but I have no idea why anyone would buy an automatic GTI. Totally defeats the purpose of having a fun, sporty, small, turbo charged car with great handling. No amount of technology and sport mode, manual mode, double clutch whatever the hell will change that for me. Ever.

Dsg can shift while staying in boost, so tell me again how it defeats the purpose of having a turbo.

Rascal

Ready to race!
I have a manual GTI. My wife has a DSG. i can see the DSG has its merits and one day the MT will be a thing of the past. But until that day they will have to pry the MT from my cold dead hands.

Don't know what to tell the OP. :iono: