GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking about replacing the dogbone and hockey puck mount

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Gonna use OEM parts for this 'cause I hate excessive feedback, but I was wondering what the consensus is on replacing just the top puck of the sub-frame or both? I know they aren't super expensive, even from the factory, but I believe the lower puck (closest to the ground) rarely wears out versus the upper? Does that sound pretty spot on?

Reason for replacement: Upper engine/trans mounts replace and now there's a slight feedback on cold start and I want the off-the-line acceleration to feel like day 1 from the showroom floor as well.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Gonna use OEM parts for this 'cause I hate excessive feedback, but I was wondering what the consensus is on replacing just the top puck of the sub-frame or both? I know they aren't super expensive, even from the factory, but I believe the lower puck (closest to the ground) rarely wears out versus the upper? Does that sound pretty spot on?

Reason for replacement: Upper engine/trans mounts replace and now there's a slight feedback on cold start and I want the off-the-line acceleration to feel like day 1 from the showroom floor as well.
I'm planning to do this as well.

I will eventually replace the trans mount with CTS trans mount since I have the CTS engine mount.
I do not want to switch brands. Sticking to CTS.

So I'm thinking of replacing the mount and the subframe insert as well, upper and lower.
But not OEM...

1) APR pendulum mount
2) BFI insert https://amtuning.ca/bfi-stage-1-torque-arm-insert-dogbone-insert-2010.html

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I'm planning to do this as well.

I will eventually replace the trans mount with CTS trans mount since I have the CTS engine mount.
I do not want to switch brands. Sticking to CTS.

So I'm thinking of replacing the mount and the subframe insert as well, upper and lower.
But not OEM...

1) APR pendulum mount
2) BFI insert https://amtuning.ca/bfi-stage-1-torque-arm-insert-dogbone-insert-2010.html
I just noticed it says stage-1 but if you click the link, it's actually stage 2.... wow... someone didn't edit the HTML web page name to match the item.

I'm going stage 2, Idc about NVH anymore... it's too late now.... I believe manual transmission cars will benefit from this upgrade than DSG VAG cars.

miomiller

Ready to race!
but I believe the lower puck (closest to the ground) rarely wears out versus the upper? Does that sound pretty spot on?
I thought that it was the other way around such that the upper mount "rarely wears out". This is because the lower mount is more directly implicated in managing torque shift.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I thought that it was the other way around such that the upper mount "rarely wears out". This is because the lower mount is more directly implicated in managing torque shift.
I suppose it's possible, but I've only seen people replace the top puck unless there's some sort of damage to the lower puck. As I recall, you can visually inspect it well enough since it's just plastic and rubber no? Installing the bottom puck seems like a PITA too.

miomiller

Ready to race!
Both the upper and lower mount are plastic and rubber (with a metal insert) but, to your point, it would be easier to visually inspect the lower mount. I can't speak to service intervals but the HPA Motorsports website states: "The lower mount is charged with managing the entire torque shift of the engine throughout braking and acceleration." This suggests that it would wear out faster.

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie

Yes, but with its torque specs you risk busting the upper mounts core out with retorquing they do come apart sometimes with disassembly. The threads are captured in the upper mount. It's worth the hassle just for piece of mind you won't do it twice if you ever have to take it apart again.

Last edited:

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Yes but with its torque specs you risk busting the upper mounts core out with retorquing they do come apart sometimes with disassembly.

Yes, but with its torque specs you risk busting the upper mounts core out with retorquing they do come apart sometimes with disassembly. The threads are captured in the upper mount. It's worth the hassle just for piece of mind you won't do it twice if you ever have to take it apart again.
Right, so since both are around $30 for OEM pucks, it's a no-brainer.

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
My post was all jacked up sheesh. You going to drop the subframe or try one of the cheap eBay tools? If you do buy one post how it goes.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
My post was all jacked up sheesh. You going to drop the subframe or try one of the cheap eBay tools? If you do buy one post how it goes.
I probably won't do the install. I got some suspension work coming up, so I might as well have them do it. Probably drop the subframe which is the best course of action as I've been told.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Both the upper and lower mount are plastic and rubber (with a metal insert) but, to your point, it would be easier to visually inspect the lower mount. I can't speak to service intervals but the HPA Motorsports website states: "The lower mount is charged with managing the entire torque shift of the engine throughout braking and acceleration." This suggests that it would wear out faster.
I spoke to HPA and they do not make any more MK6 mounts... just a heads up to everyone seeing this message.

I have to find an alternative, which is the BFI mount https://amtuning.ca/bfi-stage-1-torque-arm-insert-dogbone-insert-2010.html