GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tires for AutoX and Daily Driving

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
What do you guys recommend for a good all around summer tire for AutoX and daily driving?

Do they not make the Potenza RE11's in 17 inch anymore? I cant seem to find them.

My current choices are:

Pilot Super Sports - 225 or 235/45/17
Firehawk Indy 500 - 235/45/17
Potenza RE-71R - 235/45/17 - This is at the bottom because I fear that I will only get 1 year of use out of these and at around $600 I don't want to keep dropping that kind of money every year.

Let me know your thoughts! I like the idea of RE-11's... with the 9/32 tread depth but I can't find them in 17 inch.

Any other recommendations??

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Re-11's are great for duel purpose if you can find them. Also check out Hankook RS4. The re71r definitely won't last if you are dailying them. Awesome tires but man they wear out fast.

PSS I think are way over rated, especially for the premium price point.

Wish I could find the RE-11's in 17. :iono:

I remember you saying PSS are way over rated and I want to try out a new tire but tirerack is have a blow out deal on the 225/45/17... $475 for all 4 after $70 mail-in rebate right now. I get free shipping since they have a facility in CT - I just go pick them up.

I want to try the RE-11's ideally.

I'll check out the RS4's

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
The RS4's may actually fit the bill. Tirerack doesn't seem to like them very much but a lot of other people do. Tread life is supposed to be really good for a 200 tread wear tire. And they aren't overly expensive.

Wonder how they grip compared to PSS

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I'm gonna rock my Indy 500's this year and hope they hold up. I was going to invest in a nice set of track wheels/tires but after the LSD/KO4 I want to give my wallet a break lol

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I'm gonna rock my Indy 500's this year and hope they hold up. I was going to invest in a nice set of track wheels/tires but after the LSD/KO4 I want to give my wallet a break lol

Don't blame you there lol. I'm rocking my super sports until they are all used up. Just not sure how fast they will wear down. I wanted to get another set of tires lined up so I don't need to research when it comes time.

I'll give the Hankook RS3/4's a shot after the super sports. Great compromise in price and grip; time to see how they actually are!

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I have Falken RT615k+'s and they're great. Just picked up some cheap aggressive looking Nankang tires that might be a good bang for buck.NS2r I believe is the model.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I have Falken RT615k+'s and they're great. Just picked up some cheap aggressive looking Nankang tires that might be a good bang for buck.NS2r I believe is the model.

Oh man, your telling me there more tires to consider??? The Falken RT615k+ look good too! Some reviews say that don't wear too fast - like the RS4's.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Oh man, your telling me there more tires to consider??? The Falken RT615k+ look good too! Some reviews say that don't wear too fast - like the RS4's.

Mine wore kinda fast. But I drive like a jackass all the time. They're still good for a track day or two. They're good for maybe 2 summer seasons.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Did you daily drive them?

Also, do you think the Hankook RS4 or the Falken's in 235/45/17 will fit on Sparco Assetto Gara rims in 17-inch?

They are 17x7.5 with a 48mm offset.

My current tires are 225/45/17 and they look pretty beefy on the rim already... I just don't know much when it comes to rims and tire sizes. I fit 235/45/18 without rubbing on my stock detroits. Just not sure if these Sparco's can rock a 235.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Just a note that Hankook RS3s run wide so I assume - don't know - that the RS4s also run wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I heard the RS3's run wide. I looked up the specs on tire rack and compared them to the super sports. They don't seem too much wider on paper. I'm leaning towards 225 but thought 235 would give me more grip.