GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Touch Screen Frozen RNS510 -2010

IHAZTERBO1

Ok, I've looked back and forgive me if this has been discussed before, but...I know a lot of you are in cold weather more then KY is, but its been super cold here lately (5 degrees yesterday morning 22 high). Unit worked yesterday up until I turned the car off and was only out of it for 1.5 hours. Went to start up the car, noticed the clock wasn't on the screen as normal. Pushed the on button and went to hit the Bluetooth and nothing, no beeps no movement. Ok, so tried the fm/am/sat buttons, you can switch between functions but nothing on the screen will change, no beeping as in touching the other stations. I can't get phone calls even though it says telephone, nothing comes through.

So fast forward to this morning. I get in, try again, no clock, press button, no clock, press button longer, clock. Ok, so press button even longer it finally comes on with Welcome to Volkswagen as normal and still nothing. You can turn the volume knob left or right and it is stuck. Could it be to do with cold weather? I know it sounds really stupid to say that but??

Picture below shows, what I mean. It wont go off this level, and of course no sound. I'm so confused as to what it could be and I've googled, searched other forums I'm on and have some that say disconnect battery reconnect, press this button as a hard reset, flashing software as it's out of date.
#1-How would I even know if it's out of date if per say that was the issue? No errors pop up at all.
#2-Any suggestions on what I can do before I take this thing in? I've seen someone say fuse, but I'm not sure that my issue was just like theirs.
#3-If this thing is broken, how hard is it to replace with a non stock touch screen unit?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

RTownsend

Passed Driver's Ed
Can't tell you how to fix it, but putting in an RCD310 is a little prying and 4 bolts.

If you want to buy one, I'll sell you one for dirt cheap. Its been sitting in my garage since I bought the car.

CMD

Ready to race!
Have you tried resetting the unit? Believe you can do that by pressing the "<" + ">" + Eject button at the same time. The issue may be cold related, however I am located in central north Ontario (its been about -30 C. on avg here last few days) and I haven't encountered a similar issue.

IHAZTERBO1

Rcd510. ..I guess looking at all kinds units I completely missed I Put in the wrong unit. Mine doesn't have navigation. I did try to do the reset above to see if that was it and it wasnt. I've Google so much I'm about to throw this computer. I will say I have no clue how to check the firmware. I've Google that and it comes up with the rsn510.

IHAZTERBO1

Yeah you're correct. My phone stores everything so I wasn't proof reading when it put the wrong unit. Any clue how to check the firmware?

zrickety

The Fixer
I would try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. If that doesn't work, a brand name aftermarket radio is the way to go. Don't give the dealer anymore of your money...

IHAZTERBO1

I would try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. If that doesn't work, a brand name aftermarket radio is the way to go. Don't give the dealer anymore of your money...
That worked! I was afraid to do it because of possibly needing the PIN. Previous owners didn't leave that
Info. still looking at replacement now just because I'd started to as a backup. Thank you!!

zrickety

The Fixer
Awesome! That was a shot in the dark. Sometimes the memory needs to be powered down.

MarkRuthin

I've got the same problem with my sat nav unit on my Mk 6 Golf. I'll try in the morning and do the reset, then battery disconnect and see what happens. Strangely it didn't go completely dead initially but the screen was flashing. The music (MP3s on the hard drive) still played, but when I stopped and restarted 10 mins later it wouldn't power up. I hope I don't have to replace it as it has been fantastic and the Dynaudio stereo is brilliant. I've had the car from new, Dec 2009, and driven 270,000 miles in it. A great motor!