GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded in my GTI for something else German...

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Man, this thread is a fanboy magnet, holy hell. Its like people on this site forget what they are driving. A VW Golf that costs $30k, or TWICE what the range starts at, is not a poster child for a value purchase.

Nice car Ryan, love the color combo. A neighbor of mine just rolled up in a new F30 M sport 328i in Estoril Blue. Not going to lie, I started playing around on the BMW website.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
excellent post, well said.

What compells the OP to post his new beemer on this forum. I have seen this before and don't get it. You moved on to really nice car, got it, see ya, good luck. Maybe it's therapy for buyers remorse.

Unbelievable.. The post is from a former gti owner who decided to upgrade his vehicle and then decided to share his comparison of the 2... A very interesting and informative post for all gti owners in my opinion.. I would want to know how my mk6 gti stacks up the latest offering from bmw.. Kinda sounds like sour grapes to me.. I will never understand jealous people..

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
I doubt it's jealousy. You can buy a 3-year old BMW 3-series with 30k mile CPO for the same price as a GTI Autobahn. Owning a BMW is hardly and exclusive club.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
I doubt it's jealousy. You can buy a 3-year old BMW 3-series with 30k mile CPO for the same price as a GTI Autobahn. Owning a BMW is hardly and exclusive club.

why even say that? why knock the bmw? bmw is a prestige auto maker plain and simple. a brand new bmw is a status symbol and a vehicle people will pay a premium for; are you saying that this isn't true? a bwm doesn't cost the same as a volkswagen. a bmw is a luxury vehicle and a volkwagen is not. again spoken like a person who isn't jealous at all..

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Who cares? The OP got a new car and is happy. Can't we just be happy for them too?

McQueen77

Banned
why even say that? why knock the bmw? bmw is a prestige auto maker plain and simple. a brand new bmw is a status symbol and a vehicle people will pay a premium for; are you saying that this isn't true? a bwm doesn't cost the same as a volkswagen. a bmw is a luxury vehicle and a volkwagen is not. again spoken like a person who isn't jealous at all..

Because it's popular to knock BMW. Any new review about any new BMW model has 200 comments below the article by a bunch of guys whining about how they are overrated, too expensive, too this, too that and going on and on about how their economy car is just as good and how all BMW drivers care about is the badge and all this other shit. It's old new by now. It's almost required at this point to knock BMW.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Who cares? The OP got a new car and is happy. Can't we just be happy for them too?

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.

I've owned multiple BMWs. They are wonderful cars, but hardly exclusive. That's why. If I was jealous, I would still own a BMW. I sold all 3 of them, and don't feel the need to buy another right now. I think the GTI is more fun to drive than my 328 ever was. Until they make it lighter and more like a 2002, and reliable like an E30, I'll pass. I'd consider a 1-series if they'd stop making it look like a sleepy, pregnant, yet surprised cat.

What's your hang up? You think everyone is jealous because someone bought a 328? Again, it'll be worth GTI money in 30k miles with a CPO warranty. It's not unobtainanle to anyone who can afford a Golf.

A brand new one? No thanks. I'm not taking a $25k bath in 3 years of depreciation. I'd rather spend that wasted money on another car.

Again, I've owned 3 BMWs. I know the 3-series well. It's a fine driving car, but it's not exotic or rare. It's a regular car that can be bought in a few years for regular car money.

McQueen77

Banned
I've owned multiple BMWs. They are wonderful cars, but hardly exclusive. That's why. If I was jealous, I would still own a BMW. I sold all 3 of them, and don't feel the need to buy another right now. I think the GTI is more fun to drive than my 328 ever was. Until they make it lighter and more like a 2002, and reliable like an E30, I'll pass. I'd consider a 1-series if they'd stop making it look like a sleepy, pregnant, yet surprised cat.

What's your hang up? You think everyone is jealous because someone bought a 328? Again, it'll be worth GTI money in 30k miles with a CPO warranty. It's not unobtainanle to anyone who can afford a Golf.

A brand new one? No thanks. I'm not taking a $25k bath in 3 years of depreciation. I'd rather spend that wasted money on another car.

Again, I've owned 3 BMWs. I know the 3-series well. It's a fine driving car, but it's not exotic or rare. It's a regular car that can be bought in a few years for regular car money.

New BMWs should be leased for cheap up front and then either turned in or bought out when the time comes. I got over $4000 off MSRP and got my 320 for $32k and change for nothing down but license/reg, 1st payment etc. Maintenance, brake pads, whatever is covered until 50k miles. When lease is up you can submit an offer on the car to BMW and theyll either accept or counter and you can buy the car or you can sell it privately if the car is worth more than the residual, pay the note and keep the difference. These are both options if you go way over in mileage or if you just really like the car. Depending on incentives, the kind of deal you can get and your credit, these cars can be cheaper new vs. CPO. I have seen CPO E90s going for low to mid $30s with 40k miles on them. Thats a ripoff.

They are definitely NOT exclusive though, haha. They are a dime a dozen in Southern CA.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
End of day the GTI give more performance and all around usefulness for the money. Very nice BMW though. My brother just leased a CLA250. He was coming from an 2011 328i convertible. It's funny to know that my Stage 1 GTI is faster than his $38k Benz. He didn't even get Nav for that price. I paid $22k OTD for my GTI with 30k on it and $600 for tuning. Even comparing a similar equipped new GTI. It's still $10k less. With the higher brands (BMW, MB, Audi) the performance for the money isn't quite as high. They are certainly more luxurious and make better ego padding. It's just not worth the extra maintenance cost in my opinion.

outshined

Go Kart Champion
^I'm actually considering a 228i lease for my next car because it may actually be cheaper than an Mk7 GTI lease, depending on insurance and VW maintenance costs.

Jacris

Ready to race!
Unbelievable.. The post is from a former gti owner who decided to upgrade his vehicle and then decided to share his comparison of the 2... A very interesting and informative post for all gti owners in my opinion.. I would want to know how my mk6 gti stacks up the latest offering from bmw.. Kinda sounds like sour grapes to me.. I will never understand jealous people..

You already state above that its an upgrade. Do you really need to be educated as to why a 3-series is nicer than a GTI?
This is just another "I am better than you all now" post. And no I cant be happy for a kid with leased BMW. Now go back to your happy little world.
When I take delivery of my new Macan in May I promise I will not post in on this forum so you all can be happy for me.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
You already state above that its an upgrade. Do you really need to be educated as to why a 3-series is nicer than a GTI?
This is just another "I am better than you all now" post. And no I cant be happy for a kid with leased BMW. Now go back to your happy little world.
When I take delivery of my new Macan in May I promise I will not post in on this forum so you all can be happy for me.

At least you're not angry about it.

And it's not a lease.