GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ukraine: WAR Huh - What Is It Good For Absorootly Nothing

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
I disagree, unilateral sanction action by the US prior to the invasion would have given Russia international cover in the invasion as painting the states as having taken the first international 'shot' over Ukraine. Feed into Russia's bullshit narrative of the US as an aggressor and likely would have divided the response from the EU. Having the west offer no provocation and thus creating the political bedrock for a unified economic response will do far more power than the US going alone ever would.
I did not say the sanctions should have started before the invasion period.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I did not say the sanctions should have started before the invasion period.
They began as fast as could realistically be implemented given that there was no universal consensus within the broader EU/US prior to the invasion on the scale of the sanction regime. Russia invaded after trading hours on a Thursday. By the start of the next week, Russia is effectively the same international pariah status as North Korea. That's only one day of open trading (Friday) when economic sanctions weren't fully in-place.

Getting lockstep on the 27 EU nations, Britain, Australia, Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan to name a few on that short of a timeframe is borderline miraculous and indicative of a lot of preemptive groundwork that had already been laid by policy makers.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Right after the invasion. Were they using the ATGMs the soonest possible? Seems like they waited several days.

The Ukrainians are doing an amazing job with their OPSEC. Hell I wish our folks would follow their example. Take a look at all the wrecked Russian gear on the roads. Clear signs of hunter/killer teams doing their thing to demoralize the Russians…. but no videos of the action, just civilian posts showing the aftermath.

When the Chechens were sent in, the Ukrainians didn’t fuck around and wiped them out.

Russia has stalled in much of the country, they have not gained freedom of movement and still don’t hold much uncontested airspace. This one isn’t going well.

Last edited:

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Willing to bet arming them happened far sooner than reported.

It was reported, it’s public record. We’ve been arming them since 2017, with a massive delivery at two points in 2021. UK did the same in 2021.

1000 ATGMs and 500 MANPADS from Germany are in Ukrainian hands as of today.

I’m expecting Ukrainian forces to let the Russians continue to dwindle their functional equipment and keep their morale crumbling all on their own. Then allowing them to move further away from their service and support. Then cut them off to a point where the only option is back where they came from or give up. Likely why they haven’t cut the avenues of egress out of Ukraine, don’t surround the enemy, never put their back to the wall.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
And the resource of intelligence has long been provided to them, I'm sure.

I’m pretty happy that the WH was declassifying a ton of intel leading to this to erode Putin’s bull shit narrative.

They’ve also been saying from the beginning the US and much of Europe has been feeding Ukraine intel.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
The Ukrainians are doing an amazing job with their OPSEC. Hell I wish our folks would follow their example. Take a look at all the wrecked Russian gear on the roads. Clear signs of hunter/killer teams doing their thing to demoralize the Russians…. but no videos of the action, just civilian posts showing the aftermath.

When the Chechens were sent in, the Ukrainians didn’t fuck around and wiped them out.

Russia has stalled in much of the country, they have not gained freedom of movement and still don’t hold much uncontested airspace. This one isn’t going well.
Sure do get varying opinions depending on who you are listening to. Makes it even more frustrating.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Sure do get varying opinions depending on who you are listening to. Makes it even more frustrating.

Weapons like the RPG, AT4, LAW, etc with single charge warheads will damage the side/face of the target. These are the areas the Russians use their reactive armor making them harder to kill with these weapons. Dual charge rockets are a different subject.

Javelin, NLAW, and the like use a top-down or nearly that to penetrate the thinner top armor. All of these are dual-charge to defeat the reactive armor.

For the most part, if you see a picture of a destroyed Russian tank without its turret, it’s most likely a kill by Javelin, NLAW, or other ATGM. Same goes for IFVs and other armor with severely damaged roofs. Exceptions apply to this but it’s pretty convoluted. The T72/80/90s the Russians are using can be knocked out by a number of things, down to and including a well placed hand grenade. Once you get the ammo ignited, they pop their corks.

You not seeing lots of action shots because the Russians love to keep their failures quiet, and the Ukrainians want to keep their tactics and locations secret. People like me look at images and videos and can figure out a lot of information, the Ukrainians are doing a good job keeping that info locked down.

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
How substantiated is the claims of use of thermobaric weapons? Asking because it would be worthy of a war crimes trial.

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
I can only imagine how many hot homeless Ukranian chics are in need right now. Thats whats on my mind lol