GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Under Seat Storage Tray DIY - Lot's of Pics

Hornblower

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed my passenger-side kit today and all went well, thanks to the great tips listed on this thread. My kit from ECS included 5 Torx 20 screws, all fine thread. Those screws worked fine on all locations except for the outboard tab with the metal clip. On that one, the screw never tightened up so I assume either it wasn't long enough or the threads needed to be more coarse as mentioned by a couple of earlier posters. Other than that, all went well and on this car, this small amount of extra storage should come in handy.

JerZyT28

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder if the dealers carry these parts in stock or if this is only aftermarket,anyone know off hand?

The dealers have it, it's an OEM part. Should be ordering mine from the dealer here in a few days. Cheaper than every website :D

GTI2012

Ready to race!
Underseat storage bins

I've put both of mine in without problem, thanks for the very good information in these threads,
These bins are available in Europe, but not throught the dealer in the US (Amerikans vill take vhat ve give you und like it!). In the US we buy them from an importer, like ECS or OEM plus The instructions refer to European power seats. There they can get fully power adjusting seats. In the US we don't get them. We, at best with the Autobahn, get power seat backs or lumbar support only. The rest of the seat is manual, and would be considered a non-power seat in Europe for the purposes of fitting these bins.
I have the 2012 Autobahn and had no trouble putting these bins in and there is no interference with any parts under the seats or the adjustment of the seats. From what I can see the tab on the edge of the bin support is not used. It didn't seem to line up with the tab on the seat side cover (all other connections lined up perfectly) and the extra screw (5th) seems to be just an extra. It's too small to stay in the thread on the drawer tab. The four other supports are plenty stout enough to suspend and hold the bins. These bins are small but I find them very handy for things you don't want laying out in plain sight (checkbook, money, cell, CD cases, etc.).
I wish I'd seen Tim S's suggestion to cover the floor before using the screws. Especially on the passenger side, I dropped the screws into the floor mounted modules several times and had to go fishing with the magnet for them.
I was able to pick up a set of four triple square bits (with the 10mm) from O'Reilly for cheap (~5-6$). They are cheap 1/2 hex shafts you put into a 1/2" Socket, not very good but adequate for this job. One seat bolt didn't have enough room over it for the torque wrench, so I used a box end on it.
Hope this helps.
One additional comment. There's a hanger for the underseat cables that go to the airbags etc. It's got a hanger that attaches to the rear bar across under the seat. I noticed on the passenger side, when the seat is unbolted and tilted back that this cable is pulled on. I unhitched the hanger, so the cable wasn't strained, while attaching the bins. I then reattached it as I tilted the seats back in position. Wouldn't want to damage this cable.

Last edited:

sharky1

Passed Driver's Ed
I think these are too small for an iPad, what about an iPad mini? Contemplating having a little designated spot for it.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
I think these are too small for an iPad, what about an iPad mini? Contemplating having a little designated spot for it.

Ipad mini won't fit in there.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
What? I guess I'll hold off on these for a while then, maybe even ever if they can't even fit that. What does everyone put in theirs?

I keep sunglasses, gloves, my cd case, headache pills, hand sanitizer, small items really.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Nice write up. Very detailed.
I've got this in my "To Do List"

PCAM215

Just installed a pair of drawers this morning. Super easy to do if you have all the tools. TurtleJames did a great write-up. Love the extra storage.