GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unibrace XB & UB full review

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Very first impression after the install was the engine note had changed, bear in mind that I finally fixed my carbonio stage 2 pipe (it was sitting on the brake reservoir and I got it readjusted so it's off it & not sending vibrations into the cabin - eliminated that resonance completely) but the tone had changed, very subtle but I noticed it - also shifts are more crisp and creaks & squeaks are diminished or replaced with more solid sounding suspension reaction to uneven terrain - I will admit that at least some of this is likely placebo but for sure improvements have been made!

Most notable is cornering, specifically hairpins at the 20-40mph mark, front end push is greatly reduced and because the UB & XB work so well in concert to stiffen the body it leaves my 27mm rsb to work (probably too much as it's on full stiff) but amazingly the car pivots & goes, it used to weight heavy on the outside tire, push the front and lean over heavily on that side. Now it doesn't push, the car stays flat and corner speed is increased with more confidence. Also, lane changes are hyper-sensitive ... The car feels more planted & serious. I get the feeling that I need to respect the cars limitations of traction much more now - because it will hide that limit from me until the last millisecond. It's that confidence-inspiring, I love it! It has a go-kart feel in a bigger medium.

The only drawback if I had to have one is some plushness/softness is gone, but for me I enjoy performance more than comfort - I still wouldn't hesitate to take the car cross country though, it's definitely not a deal breaker.

The stiffness just makes you feel braking bumps & uneven road more than before.

Quality of parts - 10
Performance gain (suspension) - 8
Ease of installation UB - 9
Ease of installation XB - 5 (it's a pain in the ass but worth it)
Bang for the buck mod (reflash being a 10 I'd give this a 7)

DO IT!

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
i've had an xb sitting in my room waiting to be installed for over 4 months. after this review i would have it installed but i just blew 800 on a sub/amp :(

did you install the xb yourself?

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
No, I was going to but after seeing a few people have install errors I decided to have them both professionally installed - the UB is way easy though.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
I have a really hard time believing this. i'm going to call placebo on this. (i'm not attacking you personally, i'm addressing all of these reviews)

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I have a really hard time believing this. i'm going to call placebo on this. (i'm not attacking you personally, i'm addressing all of these reviews)

If everybody that has one said it makes a huge difference then why is it so hard to believe? Have you seen (or heard) how much body flex there is when going over uneven surfaces?

TrogdorsWraith

Ready to race!
If everybody that has one said it makes a huge difference then why is it so hard to believe? Have you seen (or heard) how much body flex there is when going over uneven surfaces?

I'm with you everybody from Bender on down has said DO IT! Usually in all caps and BOLD! I've been on the fence watching person after person do it and not one has said they didn't feel a "major" difference. Cheapish mod for what it does and I'm all down for giving the XB a try. How much did they charge to install the XB since I don't want to buy another one use tool?

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
I have the tool but the shop where it was designed quoted me 259 :(

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
My shop charged me $200 to install both the XB & UB - I tipped out the tech $30 bucks because he's a nice guy, puts up with my shit & let's me hang in the shop - since I'm going stage 3 soon it's good business to take care of the people who take care of you & your toys :)

Install was super clean, he even went in & blue loctited my stage 2 carbonio pipe & did a few more vag tweaks

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com

I expected placebo myself but I was optimistic - I drive some very specific roads, angled driveways, off camber curves etc every day and I know how they felt & sounded before & now it's different.

When you set a "control" in a science experiment, you do so to determine if there will be variations from the control as small incremental changes are made - in this case the control was me driving the same roads every day for a year & the 2 simple changes were the UB & XB - stiffness is apparent over the control both in the way the car sounds (it's actually more quiet now) & the way it handles in the situations I talked about.

Absolutely I guarantee there is a change that can be felt - the placebo I mentioned is in the engine note which I now mostly attribute to my stage 2 intake pipe no longer vibrating my nuts numb!

I stand by my review - Do it!

GTItraveler

Ready to race!
Thanks for your review Tony! I'm glad that you are enjoying the UNIbrace XB + UNIbrace UB. Everything you are describing is consistant with hundreds of user comments. As you relearn the limits of your car I'm sure you will have more confidence in its abilities. We are so used to a flexy body giving the telltale of loosing grip that it take a bit of time to adapt to the new body stiffness.

Your install cost sounds correct. A competent shop can install the UNIbrace XB in ~ 1–1/2 hours, while the UNIbrace UB is a simple 10 minute job.

If you have any pictures of your install please send them to me. Best, Bruce :thumbsup: