GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

valve cover gasket leak...?

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
I get a brief hesitation when I go WOT as boost is building to peak but no clue if this is related or not. Would be interesting if it is since I've had this hesitation ever since going stage I. You can't feel it with stock programming.. probably because I only boost like 8-10 psi there.. haha

I get a hesitation too, not sure how much is K04 boost lag or leak though.

McQueen77

Banned
I get this too but not all the time. It's a mystery

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Add me to the leaking valvecover list.

The cam sensor has always weeped a little bit, nothing to concern me much, but it seems I have a bigger oil leak around the back of the valvecover, particularly the back left corner. Also found oil residue on the turbo intake tubing.

Pulled coilpacks, no oil found in spark plug wells, so that's good.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
^^ tuned or stock? I have the exact same leaks and I still need to take it back and complain more.. but at stage II I'm praying for a warranty fix.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
^^ tuned or stock? I have the exact same leaks and I still need to take it back and complain more.. but at stage II I'm praying for a warranty fix.

Stock.

There's a good reason why I refuse to get tuned.

bialymike

Ready to race!
Damn it I think I might have this issue as well. Stage 1 for barely a year.

Funny thing is, my friend has a passat cc with the same engine as us and same type of oil residue around the vavle cover gasket...but he's completely stock with less miles than me.

I'm at 37k fyi, with stage 1 around 28k.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

blue2.8

Ready to race!
I'm also experiencing this and have oil on one of my spark plugs as well. 2010 with 49k, bought it with a few months ago with 45k Certified Pre Owned. I've only added an intake since I bought it. Going to be bringing it into the dealer next week sometime.

McQueen77

Banned
Stock.

There's a good reason why I refuse to get tuned.

Yeah, bring it in. Theyll replace a bunch of shit like they did for me under warranty.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Hey.
Got my 20k service done the other day and took the engine cover off after and noticed the what's shown in the pics below and recalled McQueens issue on this.
Is it really something I should be worried about and that I should bring it back to the dealer?
Shouldn't they have seen this during the service inspection and if it is a problem shouldn't they have recommended it be fixed? No issues were reported to me.
Don't think there is a leak from the front side sensor.
Car tuned with APR stage 1 (only performance mod) for 11k miles.
Would really appreciate your honest advice.

Front

Back

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
FWIW, I bought a new cam position sensor and it fits MUCH snugger than the one I had in there. I have to clean up the whole front side and see if I still get oil seeping out from the new one (I imagine it will not as it is just a much tighter seal now). Hoping this cured my surging feeling too but we'll see if it ever warms up around here.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
If it was the cam position sensor wouldn't you not also have the oil around back - like I do?
Is it really an issue to get addressed or just something that happens?

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Brought it to VW. Said it was normal and just seepage and not something to be worrying about

Last edited:

marcelo929

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have a guess as to how much this would be out of warranty? Took it in before warranty was out but, they thought it was my fuel rail leaking. Fixed that under warranty and mechanic mentioned my gasket leak BUT no work was done to fix it.

Recently decided to keep the car and mod, instead of trade, so looking to keep it in top shape. Currently ~61k STG 1 w/ DP tho (no time yet to get reflashed)