GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volant Intakes

DamnYank!

Passed Driver's Ed
no idea. I just looked on google for a pic. Search on google, ebay or you could easily have one made locally at a sticker place.

Thanks, I've found a few at 2.5" diameter that might be an option...

DamnYank!

Passed Driver's Ed

JhnR

Banned
I would do something more stealth, black so you can't tell its aftermarket.

red11

Passed Driver's Ed
First time poster - Long time follower...VERY excited about this!

bluescreenofwin

Ready to race!
Just finished installing and took me 2 and a half hours running into some snags (lol intake). I broke the clip on the vacuum tube by the radiator (dont remember what it's called) after installing the adapter so I electrical taped it together. It was still fitting but it would fall out. Any suggestions to fix this? Secondly I installed the MAF sensor backwards (lol) and was having a hard time figuring out why my car wasn't starting...

First impressions:
It is hard to hear the sound over the soundakator (however it is spelled) but it sounds a tad beefier than before. Butt dyno says it feels exactly the same save for maybe less lag before 2,000 rpm and more pull over 5k.

Here is my biggest gripe and please someone correct me if I messed up: does this thing simply sit on the factory studs in the engine bay? The oem intake has rubber feet that it a part of the intake and it firmly sits on the studs, snug. This thing simply is there... sure the tubing keeps it semi secure and under the hood, when closed, it obviously isn't going anywhere.. but this rather bothers me.

TL;DR I like it but has it's issues. If anyone has a suggestion for fixing/replacing the clips that go on the adapter from the factor tubing or how to secure it better to the factory studs please let me know.

Edit: Also, I tried removing the rubber seals from the oem intake and it felt as though they were ripping at the edges. Is this what it is supposed to do? My thoughts were to remove them from oem intake and add to volant intake. Sorry if this is a stupid question/comment but all my previous intakes have been filters on a stick with brackets.

Edit again: This is a picture of the clip I broke that attaches the vacuum hose that goes from the intake tube into some other vacuum line by the radiator. If anyone knows a part number for just the clip let me know (it is the tube behind with the electrical tape). If may come already attached to the vacuum hose so I may need to order the whole part...

Hopefully these help

Picture of it installed:

Last edited:

DamnYank!

Passed Driver's Ed
The airbox has rubber grommets included. These go in the two holes in the bottom of the box then press down onto the factory airbox studs. You have to go slowly and correctly aligned or you'll push the grommets out of the airbox and end up with a loose fit.

I think the sound is good (I've disconnected my soundaktor) and I'd say its equal to or better than the Carbonio in that aspect. Performance wise, I have the stock flash but I'd say the slight improvement over stock is comparable / equal to the Carbonio I prev had.

bluescreenofwin

Ready to race!
The airbox has rubber grommets included. These go in the two holes in the bottom of the box then press down onto the factory airbox studs. You have to go slowly and correctly aligned or you'll push the grommets out of the airbox and end up with a loose fit.

I think the sound is good (I've disconnected my soundaktor) and I'd say its equal to or better than the Carbonio in that aspect. Performance wise, I have the stock flash but I'd say the slight improvement over stock is comparable / equal to the Carbonio I prev had.

While I have you here...

Before I installed the intake I looked for any type of rubber grommets that went into the holes and I did not have any. So if what you're saying is true then I did not receive them with the intake. I searched pretty exhaustively before placing it into the car.

Also, I believe the part I broke is called a vacuum clip? Anyone have a part number for that? I can take a picture if needed.

DamnYank!

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, it should have had donut-looking grommets for those holes, 2 of them.

bluescreenofwin

Ready to race!
Yes, it should have had donut-looking grommets for those holes, 2 of them.

I just doubled checked the box, the bag, and everything around my car. I definitely don't have them and I never saw anything similar to that before installing the intake (I tried to go over the parts pretty carefully).

Maybe I should contact autoanything... I wonder if Volant could supply me with two of them? They're pretty close to me.

DamnYank!

Passed Driver's Ed
You may want to pull the intake box and check under/behind the filter. One or both of mine were inside it and kind of stuck/lodged under the filter inside the intake box. If not hit up AutoAnything or Volant.

bluescreenofwin

Ready to race!
You may want to pull the intake box and check under/behind the filter. One or both of mine were inside it and kind of stuck/lodged under the filter inside the intake box. If not hit up AutoAnything or Volant.

Yea I just pulled the box and looked again and nada. A bit disappointed.. hmm. Also I updated my post above, could you look at those pics and tell me if you know anything about the clip I broke?

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I tried installing it and found that it crimped the small radiator hose. I don't know if its because of my APR intercooler, but I don't think it would be safe. eBay it is! Carbonio back on

bluescreenofwin

Ready to race!
I'd just contact Volant directly

Interestingly enough I contacted Volant directly and they informed me that you use the stock grommets from the OEM intake airbox and that they don't send any with any intake other than the Passat because the airbox has grommets which are glued in.

Well, my grommets are also glued in as when I tried prying them out (when I first installed the intake last Friday) they started ripping at the edges. He said he would work with me to make some for the box but I just thought this was strange if others are claiming they received grommets with theirs. :confused: