GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vw to porsche boxter brake upgrade parts list & future DIY

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
This Brake Mod seems to be the most sensible and practical. I try to follow these threads closely. I do have a couple of questions.

1. Are spacers needed for the OEM 18" rims? Honestly I hate running spacers though I realize I am sure it would be minimal, it still places more of a load on the bearings. I am sure 5mm wouldn't hurt too bad, but still. I just want to confirm that you do or do not need spacers.Depends totally on your wheel design. Mine cleared by1.5mm with no spacers (RS3 reps)

2. The REFIRB kits on RockAuto seem to be a pretty good deal, you would need to swap the bleeders and such, but has there been any issues from REFIRB calipers from RockAuto? Rock Auto is pretty stand-up from my experience

3. The changing of the Banjo bolt, and Brake Lines. I need a little more clarification on that. You just buy new Banjo Bolts and any Brake Lines for a GTI will work? Not sure...I used new stainless lines with the proper fittings. I think R32 lines are correct, or just order from Apikol as mentioned earlier

4. The solid Metal pieces that go inside the pistons. Are those necessary if your using the shims? You would think if you used shims with some high temp Copper paste on the backside you shouldn't have any issues? or those solid pieces are actually necessary? These are the same as shims with anti-vibration properties. I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you use them unless you like the fingernails on a blackboard screech. These were the only things that worked for me.

5. OEM Brake Pad Sensor. Does the Porsche pads use a sensor in the brake pads like the VW ones do? And if they do, do they plug right in to the VW connector? or does all that get disconnected? If so, does a dash light come on thinking your pads are wore? Porsche pads actually have 4 sensors. Don't use them, not plug compatible. Cut your old sensor off your old pad, splice the two wires together (solder and shrink wrap) and plug back into the car. You'll have no light. I'm assuming you maintain your car so have no need for these silly wear sensors

Really doesn't seem too bad of a job, just want to get as much info as possible.

Thanks Everyone.

Jeff

Good luck!

Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have the OEM "Laguna" rims. Not sure what the Offset is on them. I have never checked haha. Guess I should.

So the new Porsche pads you will need to cut off the wires, then on the old VW pads, cut the wire off the pad, slice the 2 wires, solder them together and just snap it back in? Tie wrap it to something? done?

Anything else one should know before venturing off into this project? :happyanim:

Jeff

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
I have the OEM "Laguna" rims. Not sure what the Offset is on them. I have never checked haha. Guess I should.

No clue...A trial fit will be necessary. It's as much about spoke clearance and design as it is about offset.

So the new Porsche pads you will need to cut off the wires, then on the old VW pads, cut the wire off the pad, slice the 2 wires, solder them together and just snap it back in? Tie wrap it to something? done?

Yup...That simple. Most Porsche replacement pads don't come with sensors anyway. They have slots to mount your 4 OEM Porsche (if you had a Porsche) ones. Likely nothing will need to be done to them

Anything else one should know before venturing off into this project? :happyanim:

Jeff

Just read the DIY, look at pics. It's a pretty easy mod.

Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I just got a quote from Apikol for a kit to put these brakes on my car. I think its a little high, but I am assuming they are using brand new Porsche Calipers. Can get re manufactured ones on Rock Auto for like $200 a piece. All together for Everything I would need MINUS new Rotors ( I was trying to keep cost down and re use my OEM rotors that have 11k miles on them.) they wanted $1350. I can get a 330mm Brembo GT kit for $1500 so I really dont see a "Deal" here. Unless you get the Calipers from Rock Auto. That would cut the cost by $400. So it would be around $950. That is a better deal.

I just dont want to use spacers on my car. Wish I could find out if my OEM 18" Lagunas would clear these calipers.

Jeff

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
Apikol is pricey for the calipers. For 950 what does that include? I was figuring after I rebuild mine
It will cost me about 700. I am not replacing my rotors at this time. I got the calipers for 120 eac

If the snow here isn't bad I will post measurements of the caliper this weekend. Maybe that will
Help with the wheel figment question.

Are you sure the brembo kit fits with stock wheels? I think I read it doesn't in one thread.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Apikol is pricey for the calipers. For 950 what does that include? I was figuring after I rebuild mine
It will cost me about 700. I am not replacing my rotors at this time. I got the calipers for 120 eac

If the snow here isn't bad I will post measurements of the caliper this weekend. Maybe that will
Help with the wheel figment question.

Are you sure the brembo kit fits with stock wheels? I think I read it doesn't in one thread.

You know I'm not sure on the Brembos either. I don't want to run spacers. Not a fan of spacers.

I like the porsche idea if they will fit.

Jeff

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
I just went and measured the caliper it is about 140mm wide. So if I'm doing this right that means you need at least 83mm from the surface of your rotor to the spokes on the wheel to make sure the wheel fits. Considering my math and measurement are a bit fuzzy I'd say at least 90mm would be better to give some extra space. Maybe someone can confirm what I calculated? Basically (caliper width - rotor width)/2 = ?? The stock rotor is 25mm?

I will eventually test fit them with my detroits but the weather here is terrible right now.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I just went and measured the caliper it is about 140mm wide. So if I'm doing this right that means you need at least 83mm from the surface of your rotor to the spokes on the wheel to make sure the wheel fits. Considering my math and measurement are a bit fuzzy I'd say at least 90mm would be better to give some extra space. Maybe someone can confirm what I calculated? Basically (caliper width - rotor width)/2 = ?? The stock rotor is 25mm?

I will eventually test fit them with my detroits but the weather here is terrible right now.

That would be about 3 1/2 inches from the rotor surface. mmmm Dont think I have that much space. I would have to measure, but will be very close.

Jeff

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Having had these brakes in the past I would recommend people get the r32/r20 brakes instead. After a month the brakes felt like the initial bite decreased by 40% (still a great bite). The pads wouldn't cover the whole rotor and you'll need spacers for most VW wheel setups. I've had an R32 and the brakes were slightly better than this setup. OEM is nice to have.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Having had these brakes in the past I would recommend people get the r32/r20 brakes instead. After a month the brakes felt like the initial bite decreased by 40% (still a great bite). The pads wouldn't cover the whole rotor and you'll need spacers for most VW wheel setups. I've had an R32 and the brakes were slightly better than this setup. OEM is nice to have.

The initial bite has a lot to do with the type of brake pads your using.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
This...I found the Hawk Performance ceramics were just fine and consistant from day one. A very good street feel, and low dust. Swept area is the same as a Boxster stock set-up...The 1/4" unswept area on the GTi rotor, toward the center, is NOTHING to be concerned with and won't affect braking performance in the least...R32 brakes are boat anchors weight wise and you're giving away a LOT of pistons....

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie

The R32 set up is like 345mm rotor too that is HUGE the swap is about a $1000 for new parts includiing the dust shields. Yes it will add weight to the car, that is the only downside.

I may just try the Tyrol Bushings, upgrade the pads to Hawk HPS, stainless lines and better fluid and see what happens. If I was tracking this car, then maybe the cost of a BBK would be worth it, but just driving around town, going back and forth to work, even occasional SOLO II events where speeds rarely are over 50mph the stock brakes with upgraded bits as mentioned should be adequate.

I just dont like that my Red calipers are already looking pink in less than a year of use. Yea my GTI has pink calipers.....:yikes: nothing cooler than that.

Jeff

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
I think the R32 setup isn't worth the price. At $1000 you are 2/3 of the way to a much better BB setup. The BB setup will be lighter and better than the R32 setup. I think at 700-800 the Boxster setup makes sense. It fixes the problem that the bushing kit fixes. It is much lighter than stock. Supposedly helps with brake fade. I don't plan on tracking my car more than once in a while so why spend more than this on a brake upgrade.

Jeff I honestly think you should skip the bushing kit and just do pads, lines, and fluid. You might be happy with just that. If you aren't happy just buy the bushings later.

My car is almost 3 years old now, the calipers haven't faded yet. Maybe its the California sun. Repaint?

Drew

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I think I will pass on the bushings too after what I have read on some posts. I agree the Porsche set up is cool as long as no spacer is required and you have no way of really knowing unless someone with the set up on measures for everyone. So we can see how much space there is.

Not sure why my caliper paint is fading. Not all of it, just in places. Could be the sun, who knows. When the OEM pads needs replacement, I will put in something different like the Hawk Pads. Too bad the Centric HD pads are not available for the GTI all they have are the Posi Quiets. The Centric HD pads are the best bang for the buck performance pad there is. Tracked with those pads on my past cars. Good Price and good pads all around.

Jeff