GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR Streetsport plus coilovers - Track day failure

more images

get well soon...

GeorgeHill

Ready to race!
Those are my H&R Street Performarce SS Coilovers... Looks like the same as VWR and KW's. Bilstein and Ohlins seems stronger.

Last edited:

AXO

Go Kart Champion
Yikes! That's Scary stuff!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Not the first sway bar link bracket I see failing, but the first one of a quality suspension.
I already know similar failures from Taiwan stuff like IS-Racing, K-Sport and so on.

What about the sway bar touching the control arm? Did you look for marks on LCA
and sway bar? This would cause harmful peak forces. Sway bar link length needs to be
adjusted to prevent this.

Another point: You said you had vibration while driving home. A broken sway bar link will
shurely never cause any vibrations. But: Did the drive shaft touch the body? Do I see
some marks on the drive shaft?

I cannot believe AST/VWR do make struts with brackets that aren't up to withstand
the increased forces of uprated sway bars.

Nonetheless some others:

Taiwan "quality":

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Holy crap. Glad you are OK.

Damn that is scary. Grrrrrreat. Now I wish I jumped on Panda's set of AST to replace my KW

GP813

Ready to race!
Bruce, thanks for the info. I'll check it first thing tomorrow morning and see what I can find. I'll look at the other intact side as well. To add insult to injury I lost my wheel lock key at the track. Had to pay 25 bucks for regular bolts to be put on or wait a week for a 50 dollar key. Sigh.

Last edited:

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Maybe just a weak weld? Like you pointed out it split right at the weld.

EDIT: At a closer look the weld looks intact though. It looks like it's torn right after it. Bummer man, I'm glad you're ok

GP813

Ready to race!
Yeah. The weld is intact. The material next to it not so much.

GP813

Ready to race!
Got news that APR/VWR has my RMA in process. Here's to hoping I can get it in time for Sundays track day. I can't swallow another $180 thrown away on a track day.

Offered to pay extra for overnight if I have to. So we'll see what happens now.

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
I have to be honest --- I have been EXTREMELY happy with my VWR springs, and how they feel/ride/perform with the stock dampers (and soon GOLF R damper swap).... and for most daily driving, drop is just right.

Ive been considering going to coils sooner or later, and the VWR coil set seemed like the perfect progression from where I'm at....

THIS, has me completely re-thinking that ..... YIKES :eyebulge:

definitley watching to see how this goes, especially feedback from VWR UK

GP813

Ready to race!
Followed up with my tuner to see what the word was. I'm still waitin for the response from vwr/apr who told my tuner they should have a response by Friday of last week.

Still hoping for the best.

Worst case scenario is I pay replacement but I haven't Been quoted a cost yet.

If it came down to that I may just have one of my master welder buddies fix and strengthen both brackets

Last edited:

GP813

Ready to race!
Good news:
VWR approved replacement.

Bad news:
Since they are based in the UK I can expect a 3-4 week timeframe for the part to get here.
Hopefully in time for at least fastivus next month.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Followed up with my tuner to see what the word was. I'm still waitin for the response from vwr/apr who told my tier they should have a response by Friday of last week.

Still hoping for the best.

Worst case scenario is I pay replacement but I haven't Been quoted a cost yet.

If it came down to that I may just have one of my master welder buddies fix and strengthen both brackets

If APR or VWR doesn't replace your strut that is a serious dick move. How could they not? Unless they use the "you used the car in a racing manner" cop out which is complete horse shit for any aftermarket suspension company to do. I feel the same way with KW and how they fucked that guy by saying he set the ride too low. Thats like your motor blowing and VW denying to warranty it because the rev counter showed you rev'd the motor up to 6800 rpm.

GP813

Ready to race!
Considering the lead time I'm contemplating going back to stock suspension and possibly tracking it that way......