GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW's Latest R Ad - You can't fake fast....

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
More important than being slow compared to a Mustang is that it's slow compared to its direct competition, STI and Evo. Though if it had the TSI engine I'd strongly consider trading in for one anyway :lol:

XZT123

Ready to race!
If chevrolet can act like their cruze is "fast" in their commercials than VW can surely call the R fast.. lol.

Skeptix

Ready to race!
okay?

slow compared to what exactly? A Boss 302 mustang? Of course it is slower but that is a completely different market IMHO.

The R is faster than the GTI or GLI stock for stock so I wonder what you are basing this comparison for?

Anyone else find it funny that all of a sudden a 250hp car is 'slow'? I guess that makes my 110hp Miata even more pathetic if looking at pure hp numbers?

For me the R has plenty of 'umph' to get out of its own way and around slower traffic. I don't need a 400hp Mustang to enjoy my daily commute thanks :)

Stock Golf R puts about 200-210hp to all wheels.

That's slow as shit.

chris101

Ready to race!
Stock Golf R puts about 200-210hp to all wheels.

That's slow as shit.

according to you I guess.. but it is faster to me considering it is faster than the stock GTI, faster than my former TDI golf and faster than our 2004 Audi 1.8t

chris101

Ready to race!
^ so why do all you R 'haters' bother looking at this R thread in the 1st place? Many people don't like the R... I get it.. but so what? I personally hate the newest New Beetle but I dont' hang out on the New Beetle thread either to tell all of them how much I hate it and why.

mkcsg

Ready to race!
^ so why do all you R 'haters' bother looking at this R thread in the 1st place? Many people don't like the R... I get it.. but so what? I personally hate the newest New Beetle but I dont' hang out on the New Beetle thread either to tell all of them how much I hate it and why.

Because its a public forum where opinions are like assholes. I never stated i hated it. Just is overprice for what it is.Although if it came in DSG i probably would buy it just because. Rolling 50 mph burnouts are getting old in my GTI.

Last edited:

former3g

Passed Driver's Ed
pointless ad is pointless. VW ad department needs an obvious overhaul.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
Oh how i love the interwebz! So entertaining. With what i've spent on mods, like a lot of us here, i would've had an R then when it was available. Rare? Yes. Because it's limited. Fast? Ummm.........

chris101

Ready to race!
This sums it up nicely from vwvortex:

Now, I've had a lot of vws over the past couple of years. They were all fun cars, but not a single one comes close to the MKVI Golf R. While some GTI owners will bitch about the :R being "over-priced" or outdated due to its FSI origin, the R kicks the GTI stock vs Stock Plain and simple.
I dare say the R can easily match a Stage 1 Mk6 Gti in performance under the same conditions. I happened to get my 2-dr Base R for about the same price as the Autobahn GTI. I have to say the biggest critic of my R is my girlfriend.
She, along with some people online have found the golf R to be unimpressive. The one thing that everyone mentioned was the R's 4th-Gen Haldex kicking ass. That alone is the single biggest thing the R has going for it. Here is a list of parts that a Gti owner will have to obtain to begin to become close to the :R's STOCK value. First lets start off with the cost of two BASE models and what equipment both vehicles have in common.

BASE 12' Golf R 2-door $32,900( if you bother looking for it)
6-speed 2.0 TFSI
BASE 12' GTI 2-door $22,900
6-speed 2.0 TSI

Thats about the only thing both cars come with that are the same.

this list will show you what else you get STANDARD with the R that a BASE GTI doesn't get!

1. S3 K04 ( $1,900 just for the turbo, or $2,600 with file from APR or AWE
2. S3 FMIC plus S3 Discharge pipe $500 from ECS
3. FULL R body kit PAINTED! over $3,000 for UNPAINTED parts
4. Stage 1 equivalent clutch $850
5. Stronger internals ( Depends on what you are looking to do
6 . 4-Motion Haldex 4th Gen ( something NO MATTER how much you mod your FWD car, will never have. For you hardcore BALLERS out there, the cost of just OEM PARTS is over $5,500 not to mention Labor and then at the end will NEVER have a warranty or reliability
7. Bi-xenons! LED DRLs About $1,000 with out Ballasts or AFS controllers, not to mention levelers and CUSTOM WIRING!!!<----- - _ - real safe option here. Called APR when I had a POS gti, told me that they haven't even tried to wire one after market on non-equipped Cars.
8. Premium Audio 8 speakers ( $450 )
9. Leather Seats (correct me if IM wrong , but the autobahn seats are in fact different than the
R's. Isn't this a $1,500 option??
10. R OEM BIG BRAKE KIT $1,000 + from ECS
TOTAL COST FOR PARTS to "CYO" Golf R without 4-motion

$10,200 note, this Price does NOT include 4-motion conversion, cost of Golf R body kit to be painted, or Internals or ECM Tune.

So, you will have to pay about $10,000 even before you flash your K04 (to STOCK R levels) have your imposter R kit painted, Stronger Internals to support higher Power levels, and oh yea, 4-motion. Nothing like wheel-hopping and burning tire to put all that power down through two wheels!!

Include the cost of 4motion conversion , $10,000 (which I confirmed with HPA )
Factory equivalent body kit color match, $3,000 or so plus a K04 tune about $500-600
You will need to spend Approximately $23,600 or so just to get to where the Golf R is STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO, cost of GTI $23,000 plus CYO Golf R conversion $23,600
Grand total of $46,600 to get a to a vehicle that only costs $32,900!

Only an Idiot would do such a thing. Everyone has priorities and their own reasons for buying things. This is not meant as an insult to GTI owners, but a Shut the F up Statement to the people out there Bitching about how the Golf R is overpriced and just not worth the money.

SO the next time a hater starts talking smack, just ask him what he has to spend to even get close to your R stock.

I know the Truth hurts.. LOL.

Halvie

WOOSA
This sums it up nicely from vwvortex:

not trying to really keep this going :D , but I really don't find its ability to match stage 1 performance anything special either.

$23.6k to match the R, that must be why a k04 GTI still has a faster record than a 2+ R. $23.6k...sure

AWD is really nice, but that is about it. Heard 400whp tossed around in the stage 4 R thread. Hmmm....isn't that what my 3+ puts out. Wonder which build was cheaper.

These thread are getting as old as the wait for a hpfp.

Last edited:

chris101

Ready to race!
Honestly I could care less if someone has a modded GTI that is faster than my R. I'm sure there are plenty out there actually. Top speed/being fast isn't the reason I bought the R so I have no complaints about the factory stock power and therefore have no desire to change it.

Halvie

WOOSA
Honestly I could care less if someone has a modded GTI that is faster than my R. I'm sure there are plenty out there actually. Top speed/being fast isn't the reason I bought the R so I have no complaints about the factory stock power and therefore have no desire to change it.

Arguing with R owners is like banging your head against a wall.

What was the point of posting the quote you did then? Only applicable when it proves your point right, otherwise who gives a fuck?

Honestly glad you like the car. There are obviously a lot worse cars you can buy, but doesn't change the fact the car isn't really quick.

2.5t next go around and you won't have any complaints coming from me.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
what truth? that it isn't worth it? yeah sure.