GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What am I hearing when my car starts up in the cold?

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
You guys hear that too? It sounds like a mix between a 56k modem and a tiny chewbacca talking in its sleep.

I'm guessing it's just metal parts moving around and warming up but I've never heard it in any car I've driven before.

Colourwolf

Ready to race!
Do you know where is it coming from?
It was -40C (-40F) here....everytime i started my car, There were squeaky noise coming from the center vents. Kinda like nails to chalk board noise.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
You guys hear that too? It sounds like a mix between a 56k modem and a tiny chewbacca talking in its sleep.

I'm guessing it's just metal parts moving around and warming up but I've never heard it in any car I've driven before.

No one knows. :iono:
At least I've never read of anyone identifying it.

I'm assuming that you mean all those computer like sounds coming from somewhere behind the dash, no?

krvnked

Go Kart Champion

I'm assuming that you mean all those computer like sounds coming from somewhere behind the dash, no?

yeah it sounds like it's coming from behind the steering column and radio. this occurs between 25(today)- and 40 fahrenheit

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion

Probably the secondary air injection pump (on CBFA motors). Runs for a short while when cold to lean the exhaust for the purpose of heating up the CATs faster..

VINNY1

Ready to race!
Do you know where is it come from?
It was -40C (-40F) here....everytime i started my car, There were squeaky noise coming from the center vents. Kinda like nails to chalk board noise.

-40 fuck! It was 0°F last night, here in Chicago, and after I walked the dog, it took me a 45 min. to cough up my balls!

Also. My car has sounded normal in the cold. More squeaks, and rattles, but otherwise normal.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
My shifter bushings hate the cold, and the 1-2 shift sucks until the engine is warm. As for noise, cars make weird noises when they're at or below freezing. I wouldn't worry about it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
yeah it sounds like it's coming from behind the steering column and radio. this occurs between 25(today)- and 40 fahrenheit

I've called it R2D2.
Strange hard drive sort of sounds.

HailToTheKing

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah I get this too on cold starts in the morning. it's like a muffled we-ooh sound that goes on for maybe 5 minutes then stops.

MrBanananana

Ready to race!
Damn, I hear this sound everyday and it drives me nuts :(

Sent from my yogurt-cup and string

mobyss

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably the secondary air injection pump (on CBFA motors). Runs for a short while when cold to lean the exhaust for the purpose of heating up the CATs faster..

My car has the CBFA "feature" and the car idles at about 1500 rpm when first started on cold mornings, then takes about 20 to 30 seconds to get under 1000 before I put it in gear. I think I've heard a very faint "pulsing" once or twice before. I'll try to pay more attention on the next cold morning.

This car does have a few more strange sounds than most of the cars I've had before, but those were all 2009s and older and I'm sure the emissions controls have become more complicated.

JayFine

Ready to race!
Yea I hear it too. It's been 20 degrees F all week.

Also the HVAC is no longer working on settings 1-3 only 4 the highest setting turns on the heat...

Going in for my 20K so I'll get it checked out but assuming it is related to the cold.