GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Hopefully going in for a stage 1 Malone tune this weekend. What’s a liveable, but more aggressive rear sway bar spec?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hopefully going in for a stage 1 Malone tune this weekend. What’s a liveable, but more aggressive rear sway bar spec?
Upgrade to a Hotchkiss 27mm Rear Sway Bar, for the street you just need the rear. Start with the softest setting and work your way up, But you don't want to go too crazy as the faster you go, it may be more than you bargain for.... .

Dartregor

Ready to race!

If im not mistaken the stock is 19mm.

I personally went with a 23mm rear sway bar and love it. Makes it feel really planted in the corners. But i also have a rear swaybar brace which connects the rear busing mounts together with a nice rigid piece of aluminium. Probably helps the feel some right there by stiffening the rear of the car. But i also cant completely comment at how much that did cause i installed some coilovers at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If im not mistaken the stock is 19mm.

I personally went with a 23mm rear sway bar and love it. Makes it feel really planted in the corners. But i also have a rear swaybar brace which connects the rear busing mounts together with a nice rigid piece of aluminium. Probably helps the feel some right there by stiffening the rear of the car. But i also cant completely comment at how much that did cause i installed some coilovers at the same time.
Unless you have the Sportline package the Stock diameter of the Rear Swaybar on the Golf 2.5 is 16mm. Another way VW sobotaged the Golf 2.5, sorta makes you wonder how good (apart from the cosmetics) the GTI/TDI really are.

Just saying

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Would love to hear your thoughts after you get the tune done! There's a couple Malone dealers nearby me, and the price point is great too
+1 Would be great to get more feed back on Tunes for the 2.5. Malone has a good reputation for supporting mods than UM or IE but haven't heard about them for a while. In the interest of full disclosure, over on Vortex I was in contact with there Rep. to do Tunes but they wanted me to be affiliated with a local shop.

Edwin, the Deisel shop in Markham that does Malone is near your work place.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Unless you have the Sportline package the Stock diameter of the Rear Swaybar on the Golf 2.5 is 16mm. Another way VW sobotaged the Golf 2.5, sorta makes you wonder how good (apart from the cosmetics) the GTI/TDI really are.

Just saying

It is a little toothpick of a sway bar. Not sure why the Europeans get the thicker bar. The suspension is the biggest thing wrong with this car stock. Feels like driving a ford fiesta or something. When I had both the TDI and 2.5L together I did a head to head in the hills by my house. It was laughable, if not downright dangerous, to try and take corners with the 2.5L at speed like the TDI. Night and day difference and that's when I decided the first thing to go was the economy car suspension.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I get my brakes today. Will likely slap them on tomorrow. Then I have officially run out of projects for the golf. I may have to come up with something.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Oh, wait error code 00332. Sweet that's the lock to the fuel door. An I thought I wasn't gonna have to replace anything else. Silly me.
Ya spoke too soon and the car heard you.

I think I'll replace that part as well, post up the part number when you get it.

It is a little toothpick of a sway bar. Not sure why the Europeans get the thicker bar. The suspension is the biggest thing wrong with this car stock. Feels like driving a ford fiesta or something. When I had both the TDI and 2.5L together I did a head to head in the hills by my house. It was laughable, if not downright dangerous, to try and take corners with the 2.5L at speed like the TDI. Night and day difference and that's when I decided the first thing to go was the economy car suspension.
The spring package is actually not bad, BUT of course the Cafe Racer crowd will disagree, cos there is wheel gap.:laugh: I ran it on the skid pad at Mosport without the rear sway bar to see how it would do and the 16mm rear sway does very little, but better than alot of other cars.

I believe the Stock GTI uses a 21mm rear sway and firmer springs.

Last edited:

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
+1 Would be great to get more feed back on Tunes for the 2.5. Malone has a good reputation for supporting mods than UM or IE but haven't heard about them for a while. In the interest of full disclosure, over on Vortex I was in contact with there Rep. to do Tunes but they wanted me to be affiliated with a local shop.

Edwin, the Deisel shop in Markham that does Malone is near your work place.

Good to know about that diesel shop, I came across them on the forums, but thought they may only work on TDI tuning. Now isn't the time to tune my car, but I'm always looking forward to future performance upgrade :laugh:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Good to know about that diesel shop, I came across them on the forums, but thought they may only work on TDI tuning. Now isn't the time to tune my car, but I'm always looking forward to future performance upgrade :laugh:
I wouldn't discount Malone Tuning, they may specialize in diesel tuning but are known for tuning gasoline as well. Even with the VW Dieselgate they still tune alot of Diesel cars through their Dealer Network. Over-all Tuning GTIs is actually small stuff, they maybe responsible for tuning more cars than APR, Unitronic, IE and Cobb and they follow proper tuning procedures, just because we don't hear about them, doesn't mean they aren't significant in the Tuning World.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya spoke too soon and the car heard you.

I think I'll replace that part as well, post up the part number when you get it.

Here's a good thread about it. I think I am just gonna disconnect the sucker and call it fixed. I can add it up to the multitude of codes I can ignore. I did the same with TPS. Stupid things have batteries in them and have to replace the sensors except for half the time when you buy them they are already half dead. Just turned them off. I have a tire gauge.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=395292&page=2

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Here's a good thread about it. I think I am just gonna disconnect the sucker and call it fixed. I can add it up to the multitude of codes I can ignore. I did the same with TPS. Stupid things have batteries in them and have to replace the sensors except for half the time when you buy them they are already half dead. Just turned them off. I have a tire gauge.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=395292&page=2
Sounds a bit bitter :laugh:
I learnt my lesson with my Bimmer that locked my gas cap on a trip.

Thanks for the link.... .