GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
+1 Would be great to get more feed back on Tunes for the 2.5. Malone has a good reputation for supporting mods than UM or IE but haven't heard about them for a while. In the interest of full disclosure, over on Vortex I was in contact with there Rep. to do Tunes but they wanted me to be affiliated with a local shop.

Edwin, the Deisel shop in Markham that does Malone is near your work place.

I'll post when I get this done. Just a matter of lining up a time to get in at this point.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds a bit bitter :laugh:
I learnt my lesson with my Bimmer that locked my gas cap on a trip.

Thanks for the link.... .

Na not bitter. It's just funny all the misc crap you don't really need that causes issues.

On a side note after replacing my battery my throttle has been super erratic so I did a TB alignment via vcsd. Back to normal, it seems. Wierd the TB sensor would get twacked out when you disconnect the battery.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Na not bitter. It's just funny all the misc crap you don't really need that causes issues.

On a side note after replacing my battery my throttle has been super erratic so I did a TB alignment via vcsd. Back to normal, it seems. Wierd the TB sensor would get twacked out when you disconnect the battery.
:thumbsup: Good solution.

Since your all cought up, you should offer your VCSD Services to Golf 2.5 guys, from what i'm told the GTI guys will scan your car but don't give respect, but then it could be just the guys near me, ...fortunately I haven't had any trouble codes, from my Dealer contact the 2.5 and 2.Slow are the only VWs since 2009 that can go an entire warranty peroid without flashing an error code.

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Got the GTI catback installed today at a local shop! Would have loved to try to do everything myself, but no jack and no space where I'm living right now :(

The exhaust tips were pretty rough with carbon buildup, so I gave my car a wash and the tips a good scrubbing with metal polish and super fine steel wool. Much improved, but could use more work in the future.

As always.. pics!

Before scrubbing with steel wool

After using steel wool

Final results!

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
:thumbsup: Good solution.

Fuel door disconnected...check. Man talk about a tight squeeze. Unless you remove the headliner section in the rear it is tight. You basically have to remove all the interior on the right side of the trunk to get to the servo for the fuel door lock. If you're just unplugging it you can remove the side carpeting, rear tray shelf, right side of the bottom trim, and pull back the bottom of the upper panel to get your hand in just enough to unplug it. Only took 30 min or so. Easy peasy.

Dince your all cought up, you should offer your VCSD Services to Golf 2.5 guys.

I'm game to give anyone in my neck of the woods (SoCal) a hand so feel free to PM me if you need vcds or something.

fortunately I haven't had any trouble codes

I don't have a lot of trouble codes but because I have replaced some electronics with TDI parts and left off nonessential things like the XM radio antenna, emergency calling, TPS and now the fuel door it throws a code for all that. Hell, it throws a code for letting XM radio expire. So lame but I know what I can ignore.

Last edited:

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Looks pretty nice!

Thanks!
Drove around today on the highway, and was a bit disappointed to hear an annoying drone at 2-3k RPM. Posts on the forums mentioned not a big difference in sound with the swap, but that isn’t the case here unfortunately.. will see if I can swap in a resonator sometime this week to take care of the drone

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Unless you have the Sportline package the Stock diameter of the Rear Swaybar on the Golf 2.5 is 16mm. Another way VW sobotaged the Golf 2.5, sorta makes you wonder how good (apart from the cosmetics) the GTI/TDI really are.

Just saying

Ahh ok. Yeah mine was a but thicker that i put on.

Got get under there tomorrow and make sure the bushing bolts are tight as something back there is making a weird clunking noise. What i get for doing it over several days.

And yeah super solid engines. One of my friends has vcds and lets me play with it every once in a while.

MLue1. Once you did your sway bars and coilovers, did you notice your skids light flashing at you when cornering hard. I was playing with it on the twisty lake roads by me the other day and it kept loghting up when i could corner hard. It didnt try and intervene at all but i thought it was weird. And it felt like i still had a bit more to go before hitting the limits of my tire grip. 235’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ahh ok. Yeah mine was a but thicker that i put on.

Got get under there tomorrow and make sure the bushing bolts are tight as something back there is making a weird clunking noise. What i get for doing it over several days.

And yeah super solid engines. One of my friends has vcds and lets me play with it every once in a while.

MLue1. Once you did your sway bars and coilovers, did you notice your skids light flashing at you when cornering hard. I was playing with it on the twisty lake roads by me the other day and it kept loghting up when i could corner hard. It didnt try and intervene at all but i thought it was weird. And it felt like i still had a bit more to go before hitting the limits of my tire grip. 235’s.
I torque all the sway bar fastners to 35 ft-lbs, for me that's what it took in my case.

"Skid lights", no flashing only when the ESP intervenes.

Did they adjust the steering angle sensor when you got the alignment ?

If the rear sway bar is set too stiff the ESP will come on as well during hard cornering.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Oh, wait error code 00332. Sweet that's the lock to the fuel door. An I thought I wasn't gonna have to replace anything else. Silly me.

Well @&#$ me. I guess I should have looked into vcds before unplugging the fuel door flap servo.

09-central elect, byte 7, bit 6 = Electric Unlocking for Tank Flap Installed

I believe you can disable it via this block.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Well @&#$ me. I guess I should have looked into vcds before unplugging the fuel door flap servo.

09-central elect, byte 7, bit 6 = Electric Unlocking for Tank Flap Installed

I believe you can disable it via this block.
:thumbsup: Do a write up in the DIY section, it will serve as a reminder or fix for someone.

Last edited:

Dartregor

Ready to race!
I torque all the sway bar fastners to 35 ft-lbs, for me that's what it took in my case.

"Skid lights", no flashing only when the ESP intervenes.

Did they adjust the steering angle sensor when you got the alignment ?

If the rear sway bar is set too stiff the ESP will come on as well during hard cornering.

I believe they did. It was a higher end shop. They usually work on Porsches mercs Ferraris bentleys. After i changed out things my steering wheel was turned to the keft maybe 1/16 th of a turn to go straight but not its perfect and it tracks perfectly.

Maybe my rear 23 mm swaybar combined with my brace makes it kinda stiff for hard cornering. I like it though. Lets the tires shine. Nothing expensive but ive been super impressed with them in the past. Running some general tire gmax as05s. Used to run the as03s but those were directional. But they also cleared water away better. Things stick to the pavement amazingly. Only time ive ever had them break away was when i went through a medium sized roundabout at 40mph in the rain. Was a butt clenching moment of understeer. Once i get everything sorted and settled into my new job i plan to look at going to a track day. So probably next spring.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
...Maybe my rear 23 mm swaybar combined with my brace makes it kinda stiff for hard cornering. I like it though. Lets the tires shine. Nothing expensive but ive been super impressed with them in the past. Running some general tire gmax as05s. Used to run the as03s but those were directional. But they also cleared water away better. Things stick to the pavement amazingly. Only time ive ever had them break away was when i went through a medium sized roundabout at 40mph in the rain. Was a butt clenching moment of understeer. Once i get everything sorted and settled into my new job i plan to look at going to a track day. So probably next spring..
Hmm, if the ESP is flashing, it is possible you could have damaged a connection to sensor.

23mm is not too stiff, if you have 3 or 2 positions, start at the softest.

To be honest, if you're having the ESP coming on at slower speeds I'd be concerned going to the track with that setup. Get it sorted out first.

Take care!

Dartregor

Ready to race!
Hmm, if the ESP is flashing, it is possible you could have damaged a connection to sensor.

23mm is not too stiff, if you have 3 or 2 positions, start at the softest.

To be honest, if you're having the ESP coming on at slower speeds I'd be concerned going to the track with that setup. Get it sorted out first.

Take care!

Its only when i go around a corner at about 45 thats listed at 25. Ill have to check the connections to make sure theres no corrosion.

brutaledge_

Hello again all my fellow 2.5ers. Back from vacation in Mexico where I got sick... I didn't drink the water but I did have a lot of mixed drinks where I'm assuming the ice was the culprit. What a great way to end a vacation and start a new job tomorrow. :(

You guys have been up to a lot lately it seems. Some interesting stuff here.

@Dartregor; I had a similar issue where my ECS would randomly go off even on straight roads. No interaction but a dash light just like you mentioned. Pulled negative terminal for 30 min to reset and its never come back so far. Its been years since that ordeal. Did I miss you trying this or have you tried this yet?

@KanyesChest; Drone can suck. One thing I noticed while doing a different mod was that when I went from the stock crankshaft pulley to ECS' lightweight under drive pulley, it lessened the drone while keeping my exhaust basically the same while accelerating. If you were planing on doing that mod, might be a win-win?

Got a few questions for you guys; Do any of you use or have experience using the 'Carista' OBD2 dongle and done any of the 'apps' with it? I have a few wants from it and it looks decent but I don't want to mess up any previous coding that I've had for a long while now.

I also bought a cheap 'USED' GTI steering wheels and the pictures were deceiving. The leather is pretty gnarly. A couple smallish gashes and the black leather is pretty worn between the 8 o'clock position through the 4 o'clock position. I tried using some Meguiar's but its past any minor chemical wipe solutions. I got it for a pretty good price, $200, and I'm decently happy with it since the stupid cheap steering wheel was one thing that has always annoyed the hell out of me. Even in this condition I consider it an upgrade by miles. I don't have the skills to rewrap the wheel and won't pursue that but do you guys know of any other methods or anything to try to cover that worn leather look up shown below? I also don't want to get a steering wheel cover. Perfect case of you get what you pay for.

I'll also have a ECS weighted shift knob and OEM 35th anniversary parking brake handle in by this Friday. Week after that should be an APR bottom pilar replacement since my GTI steering wheel is on a non-GTI car. I don't like to badge my car as something its not. :thumbup: