GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
got proactive timing chain job done today. Confirmed that the chain appeared to be slapping the timing cover (loose chain). Old tensioner was in there. also replace my rusted oil pan which was starting to leak a bit. i was doing this for peace of mind and the price was worth all of that, i'd say.

i'll get pics of the new daily out there sometime soon. need to put some cleaning effort into the paint before i do that.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
got proactive timing chain job done today. Confirmed that the chain appeared to be slapping the timing cover (loose chain). Old tensioner was in there. also replace my rusted oil pan which was starting to leak a bit. i was doing this for peace of mind and the price was worth all of that, i'd say.

also new daily addition - 2012 tiguan SE 4motion. functional and practical mods are in order but not adding power, probably.

How many miles were on it when you did the chain?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
i think that there is a way to check the revision without being totally invasive.... scout out youtube, might have been humblemechanic?

I just checked with OBDeleven.

-4.9 degrees :(

Looks like this has to be done ASAP.

*edit* - for anyone stumbling across this.... engine module, block 93. Start car and let it run until it drops to the normal idle and it'll give you a number after a minute or two.

Last edited:

SJC

Ready to race!
Received my ST coil overs.
Tomorrow I get them installed.
I’m both stoked and a bit concerned about the ride comfort.
?

Installed and front fender screw alteration done.
The ride is excellent . Tighter than stock but still livable.
Stance is perfect .
Had to get headlights adjusted.
Added traction due to lower c of g is also noticeable .
?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I just checked with OBDeleven.

-4.9 degrees :(

Looks like this has to be done ASAP.

*edit* - for anyone stumbling across this.... engine module, block 93. Start car and let it run until it drops to the normal idle and it'll give you a number after a minute or two.

i'll throw the caveat that this is only an approximation of stretch but seems to be consistent with what manifests as stretch. anything from -2 to -4 is fine IIRC. -4.9, yikes. good luck. keep tabs on your oil levels.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
i'll throw the caveat that this is only an approximation of stretch but seems to be consistent with what manifests as stretch. anything from -2 to -4 is fine IIRC. -4.9, yikes. good luck. keep tabs on your oil levels.

Yeah, I check it every time I fill the tank. Oil level has been good. I’ll keep the car parked until I fix it or choose a shop to do it for me.

-4.9 is bad, but from what info I’ve come across that’s the point where dealerships will tell you something needs to be done. I also have an updated tensioner and the engine feels as strong as ever, so I’m certain that the chain hasn’t jumped.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, I check it every time I fill the tank. Oil level has been good. I’ll keep the car parked until I fix it or choose a shop to do it for me.

-4.9 is bad, but from what info I’ve come across that’s the point where dealerships will tell you something needs to be done. I also have an updated tensioner and the engine feels as strong as ever, so I’m certain that the chain hasn’t jumped.

How many miles do you have?

When I go K04 in the next few months I've decided to just do the full timing chain and tensioner, despite only having 22k on the car.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

did you get just the tensioner done at some point?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

When I go K04 in the next few months I've decided to just do the full timing chain and tensioner, despite only having 22k on the car.

i'd check the rev of the tensioner before going full out - if your stretch isn't bad and you have new rev, should be alright...

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

My car has just under 138k miles on it. Your chain is almost certainly fine. Try to see what revision tensioner you have though, that may be worth updating.

did you get just the tensioner done at some point?

Yeah I had a new tensioner installed a few years ago at about 90k miles just as a precaution. Either the chain was fine or the dealership I took the car to didn’t bother to look closely at it or check with a scan tool. I didn’t have a scan tool at the time and I didn’t think the chain could possibly need replacing then (doh).

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

that might be over-kill looking at your mileage however do what you need to do for peace of mind. Have you checked to see what tensioner version you have? I mean they pull the cover anyway so they'll be able to inspect your guides/chains to see if there has been any slap. Might as well check to see if the screen is in there too.