GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I don’t go on many road-trips these days, but I’ve found that listening to a mentally stimulating podcast helps me a lot. Music tends to put me to sleep, even if it’s loud and angry, but I can go forever if I have a few Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcasts to listen to.

When I was doing those long trips I just had the case of CD's which didn't last very long. Then you'd be in an area where you didn't know what the radio stations were lol... No podcasts, no Sirius, no iPod, no Pandora, no spotify, just me and the drone from my sweet exhaust :LOL:

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I don’t go on many road-trips these days, but I’ve found that listening to a mentally stimulating podcast helps me a lot. Music tends to put me to sleep, even if it’s loud and angry, but I can go forever if I have a few Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcasts to listen to.
Yeah this is what I ended up doing after my bass-filled music began to annoy me. Just podcast after podcast and it was way better.
Then you'd be in an area where you didn't know what the radio stations were lol... No podcasts, no Sirius, no iPod, no Pandora, no spotify, just me and the drone from my sweet exhaust :LOL:
Whenever I lost signal it was disappointing lol. Factory exhaust leaves much to be desired, not nearly the enthusiast symphony I had hoped for but the TBE should change that soon :love:

Also wonder how long I can go before my family notices the full exhaust :ROFLMAO:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Today I: washed and clay mitt. No buff or wax. Couldn't believe how rough the paint was just with the clay mitt - it's going to need another pass or two before polish and wax. I did learn a little bit about the clay mitt: when getting after a couple of spots the mitt left some rubber behind, which I'll have to probably IPA scrub off.

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_181125.jpg
    IMG_20200719_181125.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 97

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Today I: washed and clay mitt. No buff or wax. Couldn't believe how rough the paint was just with the clay mitt - it's going to need another pass or two before polish and wax. I did learn a little bit about the clay mitt: when getting after a couple of spots the mitt left some rubber behind, which I'll have to probably IPA scrub off.

Normally does that if you don't have sufficient lube

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Normally does that if you don't have sufficient lube

Note to self - gotta have plenty of lube when you're getting after it

--

This was my first time doing clay at all, bar or mitt. I didn't expect the mitt to get sticky, but I'll definitely make sure to keep things lubed next time... I really thought I had plenty of soapy water on the panel but I guess not.

All in all it was a good time and I'm hoping I'll be confident enough to polish in the next couple of weekends.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
My experience with claying has been: if you think you’ve used enough lube, add some more. And then a bit more. And some more. Then you’re usually okay-ish.

Destroyed some of the paint on my last car being an idiot and doing it basically dry because I didn’t know any better haha

jnj2455

Ready to race!
have yall noticed how damn soft the clear is on our cars? Even freshly waxed, water spots/bird shit easily etch into my paint when left in the sun for as little as a day.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
have yall noticed how damn soft the clear is on our cars? Even freshly waxed, water spots/bird shit easily etch into my paint when left in the sun for as little as a day.
Rock chips too. I have an incredible amount of rock chips on my front end. If I counted, I’d probably hit over 75 easily, it looks bad up close but great in pics so 🤷‍♂️

Phur

Autocross Champion
Yes, unfortunately.😕

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion

If you are finding that much stuff at the clay phase I wonder, did you chemically decontaminate? Tar/Iron/Fallout Removers work wonders and remove most of what people try to get at with wax without needing to physically abrade the surface.

I just used some CarPro Trix on my car the other day with the intention of following up with the clay bar, but found everything was handled by that step alone. Its great at cutting through built up road grime and deposits on the car in general.

If you had spots of the mitt left behind you also probably need to use a bunch more lube. When I use mine at times the clay-disc can be sticky and even then I've never had it leave anything on the surface of the car.

Last edited:

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
Wow just about wrecked my baby today, due to a dumb decision on my part.

This whole week has been a haul with at least 10hrs of driving each day, with yesterday maxing out at 16. Pretty tired but I’ve managed, until now. Stopped for a quick hike in Lincoln National Forest and took way more energy than I was expecting, but that’s 8500ft elevation for ya. Got back to the car, next stop was only an hour away, “I got this” I thought, even though I could hardly keep my eyelids open.

Going down the mountains on a back country road. It felt like I blinked for a micro second, but the moment my eyelids opened back up I was one tire off the road heading towards a stone ditch at 50mph. Instincts kick in, yanked the wheel back and got on the road and zig-zagged a few times before it straightened out. Really sketchy, the front of the car came within a few feet of the ditch, rear of the car came within a few feet of a large metal post.

If I had to guess, my eyes probably shut for about 4-6 seconds. Thankfully no other cars on the road and Big G was looking out for me today. Definitely calling an early day and resting up. Nothing seems to be bent/damaged, although it did make a nasty bang when I went off the crumbling road shoulder. Still amazed I came so close and didn’t have any major damage, yikes
That last hr or 2 is usually the most dangerous. People have a tendency to relax when close to home/destination and that's when you start to fall asleep.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Rock chips too. I have an incredible amount of rock chips on my front end. If I counted, I’d probably hit over 75 easily, it looks bad up close but great in pics so 🤷‍♂️

Oh yah my front end (hood + bumper) is not pretty after 9 years of use. I kinda gave up on it and called it patina.

But my father's CC seems to be significantly harder. It takes me FOREVER to paint correct even with an orbital buffer and a decently abrasive polish. Which is a good thing. Still bad with the rock chips though.