GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Video? It's not the brake dust shield bent or warped or wedged by a pebble?
I'll go out and get a video soon. No brake dust shields to bend haha.

I retorqued the end links and axle bolts and now it's a lot quieter. Pretty sure it's just a wheel bearing now.

Hard to hear in this video but there's a deeper "whomp whomp" sound there

Last edited:

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Hard to hear for sure, but whomp whomp is most likely bewring as suspected. Pothole season was rough, do you recall hitting anything like that?
Oh yeah. Up in the bay area I hit some nasty potholes. Bent all 4 stock wheels, 3 of them in 2 places.

These are the original bearings, so at 116k plus tons of potholes, I'm not shocked they've had enough. Just wanted to rule out anything I could have possibly screwed up during the spring install before I replaced them

Maybe it's just now with the stiffer bushings and such I can actually hear it. Can't hear it at all with the windows down

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Another busy afternoon. Started off by sorting out all the grounds that needed to be terminated in the bay. Cut off the connectors of the two wires from the headlight harness and spliced them into one. Then joined that wire, the stratified controller ground, and the two oil sensor grounds into one eyelet to mount on the bolt on the transmission mount. Overall looks pretty clean I think.

Some of the wires coming out of the stratified controller were pretty long so I gave em the old service loop with a ziptie

Here's the path the wires are taking. I ziptied them together to keep it cleaner. the 4 green are for the sensors (signal and ground), the cam position sensor for stratified, and the wires to control the aux injector.

Got the new rear pcv hose in as well since the old one was leaking where it connected to the valve:

Tyrolsport MC brace went in also. Had to open up the top hole a bit in order to fit but that was easy with a drill and had no issues getting it installed after:

How the whole bay looks right now:

Getting ready to put the front clip on so just need to finish up everything on there. I snapped this plastic piece off walking by before so JB weld is coming to the rescue again. I was getting tired holding it in place so electrical tape came in clutch

Also think I found a good spot for the oil cooler. The bracket I got should let me only have to drill two holes in the crash bar, and two in the plastic part below, instead of cutting out sections of the crash bar. Also the cooler doesn't make contact with the intercooler so there's less heat exchange there which is nice:

The hoses will come out and just be able to go right up infront of the intercooler and through a hole right on top of the front clip to the adapter plate.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Make sure to add some ducting for the cooler before you put the bumper back on!
Does it really need ducting? It's right up front and the lower grill is in front of it so it's basically open air going right at it. I feel like any ducting would have a side effect of blocking air to the IC.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Does it really need ducting? It's right up front and the lower grill is in front of it so it's basically open air going right at it. I feel like any ducting would have a side effect of blocking air to the IC.
Absolutely. The ic/rad could use ducting too. Air will take the path of least resistance and go right around the oil cooler if it's not ducted.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Absolutely. The ic/rad could use ducting too. Air will take the path of least resistance and go right around the oil cooler if it's not ducted.
Alright, i'll definitely be doing that then. Bumper isn't going to be going on for a good while I think so i'll have time. What materials do you suggest for creating it?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I used some hdpe lawn edging and it worked well. Easy to cut into the shape you need
Edging you say? This is gonna be frustrating, I can tell

smanierre

Autocross Champion
It's not bad, basically just a sheet of plastic. I used some generic L brackets to mount it and covered the spaces with some flashing tape.
Yeah it doesn't seem like it'll be bad, I was just making one of them sexual innuendos

smanierre

Autocross Champion