GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Phur

Autocross Champion
You got 5 YEARS on that battery?? Holy smokes....pretty amazing. I've gotten 3 1/2 yrs at the most out of mine. Of course, south Florida heat doesn't help'em.
My car was produced in February of 2013. I didn’t have to replace the original battery until the fall of 2019.

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
You got 5 YEARS on that battery?? Holy smokes....pretty amazing. I've gotten 3 1/2 yrs at the most out of mine. Of course, south Florida heat doesn't help'em.
I'd have to get my spreadsheet open but I think it was 2015 or 2016 when I did it last, yeah.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I replaced the battery in mine at 4 years old. It still worked, but the cranking seemed like it was a wee bit slower. Since I don't like being caught with my pants down :LOL: stranded I bought a nice large AGM.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Had my eyes on one of those lightweight batteries a while back but they seem to be on back order for many models

The AGM I got is not a light weight battery. It is larger than the OEM battery. Lots of CCA so the engine spins nice & fast. If I was buying a battery for a race car I'd go small & light, daily driver gets a big one.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
The AGM I got is not a light weight battery. It is larger than the OEM battery. Lots of CCA so the engine spins nice & fast. If I was buying a battery for a race car I'd go small & light, daily driver gets a big one.
This is something I take out when the weather is nice. Probably gonna get an OEM/OEM adjacent.

Phur

Autocross Champion
That’s what I got. Odyssey AGM from FCP Euro, so lifetime warranty.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Wait the key hole didn't work?

Lightweight batteries are a pain. I have one in my gti because I'm able to keep it on a trickle charger but I'd never use one in a normal car. You wouldn't feel any difference unless you're shaving weight elsewhere and chasing pounds.
Yeah the key turned either way. Did not unlock it. Maybe when I bought used the lot rekeyed only the ignition?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Yeah the key turned either way. Did not unlock it. Maybe when I bought used the lot rekeyed only the ignition?
Could be the ignition cylinder lock failed at some point. My Jetta has this happening right now, haven't been able to remove my key to turn it off in weeks, I have to kill it from the main power supply in the engine bay with a 10mm. It's a total pain to replace, haven't had time yet and zero chance I'm paying the dealer a grand to do something I can do myself on a Saturday.

Phur

Autocross Champion
And the cost of shipping when you try to cash in on that warranty
It may be a good excuse to swing up your way. I could drop it off on the way.
😁

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I have the original battery in my 2012. I bought a new lightweight battery last week because it's starting to go. But it still probably has a year left in it.

Also, big thanks to @torga, helped me replace a leaking lower timing cover and install bfi mounts on the process. Haven't started the car yet, as I'm letting the permatex cure for 24 hours, but I'm excited to see what's up. Hopefully it fixes my oil leak and then I can start my wmi install.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Wow, you guys are putting me to shame with your batteries. :mad: Just checked my maint. records. Car bought new in 2014, original battery died Oct 2016. Got a new Die-hard AGM battery, that one died-easy in Sept 2018. Replaced that with Interstate AGM battery, currently going strong. We'll see how long it does last. I do think the south Florida heat has a lot to do with it.