GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
I needed to replace the rear lower control arm bushings as they were worn out and caused excess camber and wore the inside of both front tires. I replaced them with the solid rubber TTRS bushings and since the subframe needs to be dropped and an alignment performed I did an ECS front subframe collar kit and H&R sport lowering springs. I used Febi TTRS upper strut bushings as well.

What a PIA job this was in the garage. The driver side lower control arm bolt can't come out if you have a DSG trans and there isn't enough room to put an 18mm with a breaker bar on there so you are left with only an open ended wrench which can't get enough torque on there to loosen it. Also, buy the special strut nut tool with the 21mm with the opening it for the allen key on top. You need it. An offset box wrench does not fit well on there and Harbor Freight only has SAE sized offset wrenches. I actually made my own as it took less time than ordering one and took a dremel to a 21mm deep impact socket.

Car is sitting nice now and I'm going to drive it a bit to let it settle and then get it aligned.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Some people pay money to have what you could call too much camber...

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I needed to replace the rear lower control arm bushings as they were worn out and caused excess camber and wore the inside of both front tires. I replaced them with the solid rubber TTRS bushings and since the subframe needs to be dropped and an alignment performed I did an ECS front subframe collar kit and H&R sport lowering springs. I used Febi TTRS upper strut bushings as well.

What a PIA job this was in the garage. The driver side lower control arm bolt can't come out if you have a DSG trans and there isn't enough room to put an 18mm with a breaker bar on there so you are left with only an open ended wrench which can't get enough torque on there to loosen it. Also, buy the special strut nut tool with the 21mm with the opening it for the allen key on top. You need it. An offset box wrench does not fit well on there and Harbor Freight only has SAE sized offset wrenches. I actually made my own as it took less time than ordering one and took a dremel to a 21mm deep impact socket.

Car is sitting nice now and I'm going to drive it a bit to let it settle and then get it aligned.
Undo the trans mount, jack the trans up a few inches and it gives you all the clearance you need to get the driver's side by put easily.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Undo the trans mount, jack the trans up a few inches and it gives you all the clearance you need to get the driver's side by put easily.
Didn't think of that at the time and none of the DIY's I read/watched seemed to use a DSG vehicle. I ended up unbolting the separate aluminum bracket that bolted to the subframe from the lower control arm mounting point.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
They've arrived, along with my bolts to get the accessory bracket on. Going to hopefully get the rears in tonight along with getting the accessory bracket on. I need to install the front springs onto the struts so i'm going to try and lower the collars enough where I don't need a spring compressor, then just tighten them back up afterwards.

Obligatory ohlins meme I made:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Went to go out and get my accessory bracket installed and I ordered the wrong size bolts. I got I m10 and i'm pretty sure I needed m8s so I gotta re-order those. May call vw tomorrow to see if they can tell me exactly what I need, but i'm pretty sure they'll just give me the wrong part number again. I did make some good progress on the coilovers though. The quality on them looks like everything I expected. Super clean and simple. I set the rear spring perches to the suggested height, but as you can see in the photos, the perch is off the mount a bit when the car is in the air, i'm thinking that will be an issue if say my back wheels come off the ground, but is it something I should be concerned about? I'll end up adjusting them to whatever height is best for performance, but if it is the height it's at now then that seems a bit strange. I also started with 20 clicks on the dampers which is the lower end of what they suggest for street. They suggest 7 for track so i'll probably end up tightening it up to there once it's driving, but just want to feel it looser first.

Drivers rear strut installed

There's about a pinky width between the perch and the body of the car:

Passenger rear side

Fronts as they are now. I need to wait for my camber plates to come in before I can finish assembly of them and get them installed

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I've had a small extinguisher for emergencies in the rear hatch area on the drivers side where the sub would normally be if you have that option. the pocket held it just fine but i wanted it to be a bit more presentable.

So today i added a small rivnut, mounted the extinguisher bracket and then slapped in the extinguisher.

I have another bracket coming in soon, which i will write a review for once received and installed....

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yea, they're hit or miss, so is amazon and ebay too. You gotta expect the worst quality for the price and be grateful when it shows up after 2 weeks and isn't half bad.
But with ebay and amazon they at least give grievance claims a fair shake. AEx looks at it and seem to find a way to fuck the buyer.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
I've had a small extinguisher for emergencies in the rear hatch area on the drivers side where the sub would normally be if you have that option. the pocket held it just fine but i wanted it to be a bit more presentable.

So today i added a small rivnut, mounted the extinguisher bracket and then slapped in the extinguisher.

I have another bracket coming in soon, which i will write a review for once received and installed....
I've been carrying a small extinguisher for a couple years in that pocket. Probably time I mounted it up properly as well

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

For those interested in which one this is ..

First Alert Fire Extinguisher, Car Fire Extinguisher, Red, AUTO5 https://a.co/d/25njTSa