GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Got the bulkheads fitted for my Mil-Spec engine and accessory harnesses.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Went to swap my plugs and found this crap in cylinder #4.

Cylinder #3

Cylinder #2

Cylinder #1

What's crazy is zero drivability issues, no misfires, no idle issues, no power loss or hesitation. There is sometimes some white smoke from the exhaust on startup and for about 1/4 miles but that has been going on for a while and before I changed the plugs and coils last time (coils are 1 year old, 1200 miles + 4 tracks days), plugs are older about 10k miles.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Cylinder #3

Cylinder #2

Cylinder #1

What's crazy is zero drivability issues, no misfires, no idle issues, no power loss or hesitation. There is sometimes some white smoke from the exhaust on startup and for about 1/4 miles but that has been going on for a while and before I changed the plugs and coils last time (coils are 1 year old, 1200 miles + 4 tracks days), plugs are older about 10k miles.
Check compression lately?

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion

Cylinder #3

Cylinder #2

Cylinder #1

Just spitballing, but I wonder if a some water got in there, caused the nasty rust, which then impeded the "grounding" of the plug, causing it to not burn properly. That blackened soot looks like either stupid rich conditions in cyl 4 or poor combustion. Is there rusty dust crap on the top electrical connector point or the inside of the coil pack where it meets the top of the plug? If so it could be causing excessive resistance on the hot side, would have the same effect as a bad ground connection

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Took about 30 minutes of work, wasn't awful. I think the cold made this job much worse the first time I did it.
The studs were rusted pretty bad though, and I snapped 2 in the process.
PXL_20220808_221610048.jpg

No time for more work than that, but at least now the only things supporting the engine are the mounts.
When I get a second set of hands, I'll pull the engine and separate the transmission. Then once I get my new RMS and clutch kit on, it's time to slap her in the GTI.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Just spitballing, but I wonder if a some water got in there, caused the nasty rust, which then impeded the "grounding" of the plug, causing it to not burn properly. That blackened soot looks like either stupid rich conditions in cyl 4 or poor combustion. Is there rusty dust crap on the top electrical connector point or the inside of the coil pack where it meets the top of the plug? If so it could be causing excessive resistance on the hot side, would have the same effect as a bad ground connection

No rust on the top of the connector, a track buddy suggested it is a bad head gasket? That would explain my new cooling issue if it was getting worse, but there's no moisture in there, not like it's pooling or heavy leaking. I am operating on the theory the coil seal failed and sounds like APR might warranty it, but won't have a replacement for a few weeks cause they are out of stock. Luckily I keep all my spares especially coils so I have the OEMs I took out last year I can put back in for now to try some troubleshooting.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
No rust on the top of the connector, a track buddy suggested it is a bad head gasket? That would explain my new cooling issue if it was getting worse, but there's no moisture in there, not like it's pooling or heavy leaking. I am operating on the theory the coil seal failed and sounds like APR might warranty it, but won't have a replacement for a few weeks cause they are out of stock. Luckily I keep all my spares especially coils so I have the OEMs I took out last year I can put back in for now to try some troubleshooting.
You definitely got water in that hole but it wasn't from a head gasket. I assume you also use engine coolant.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
20220809_115924.jpg

Might have cost me 10 horsepower, but I blacked out the red grille bars. Always thought they seemed a gaudy with the intercooler

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Might have cost me 10 horsepower, but I blacked out the red grille bars. Always thought they seemed a gaudy with the intercooler

Looks phenomenal.

I've wondered this but never bothered to ask - with the FMIC, can you put the honeycomb insert back in? Put another way, is lacking the insert an aesthetic choice or a consequence of adding the FMIC?

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
I've wondered this but never bothered to ask - with the FMIC, can you put the honeycomb insert back in?
The honeycomb is set pretty far forward in the grille. It would fit no problem with the intercooler.

My honeycomb just got rekt by some road debris a few days before the intercooler install and looked like trash so I popped it out. Plus I was proud of the IC and wanted to show it off a bit :)

Now that I'm "maturing" the car a little with the quieter exhaust, red bar delete and such, I'm probably going to get a new honeycomb when it's convenient