GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I've learned a few things that I'll never do again in my time swapping around engines:
- not dropping the trans with the engine installed
- not removing the intake manifold (shop only here on out)
- not removing the exhaust manifold/turbo with the engine installed
I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to DIY work but all three of those sucked to do IMO. And, without having a charged AC system, I would rather pull the motor on my own to do work than try and work in the bay. Just too tight for my liking.
I did all of these as part of my build, dropping the trans with the engine is was by far the worst of them. I can get the intake manifold off in about 30 minutes as well now, I just leave the support bracket out and it makes everything much easier. The exhaust manifold would definitely be a pain in the ass, luckily mine was all fresh bolts so they came off without issue.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Drove the car last night, all was fine.

Long crank-no start this morning. Was originally thinking fuel pump until popping the hood and hit with then lovely smell of gas, a pretty big leak under the manifold/down onto the ground below.

Now to spark a match and Burnallthemk6s

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Been hearing a whistle noise under boost since the K04 went in, pulled the discharge hose, diverter valve and "pancake" pipe to inspect them.

New hose clamp on the compressor outlet, and reseated the loose O-ring on the DV, hopefully no more leaks. Going to test run it now

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I get a whistle too. Not sure why.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
I get a whistle too. Not sure why.
Is it pretty consistent? Mine comes in whenever I'm in boost.

No change so far from my attempts to fix it. Drives just fine, pulls hard. I still need to log fuel trims and boost vs boost requested though

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Is it pretty consistent? Mine comes in whenever I'm in boost.

No change so far from my attempts to fix it. Drives just fine, pulls hard. I still need to log fuel trims and boost vs boost requested though

Yep starts as soon as I hit the throttle not so much boost. Figured it had something to do with my intake. Was never there until I added the K04.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Cleaned it up, took it to Cars and Coffee Escondido. Unfortunately my attempt to fix the boost leak was unsuccessful, and I'm now getting misfires under sustained heavy boost. Boost leak tester gets in next week

Attachments

• 381515254_6717170908326075_2835159057006929171_n.jpg
    381515254_6717170908326075_2835159057006929171_n.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 32

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Spark plug gap?
Eh, I considered it but I don't think it's super likely. I tossed in new Brisk Silver plugs at 28 thou gap before finishing the K04 install.

After some data logging I'm consistently down 5-6 PSI boost from requested at WOT. Pretty sure I've just got a big boost leak. Fuel trims are pretty negative on boost too

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Eh, I considered it but I don't think it's super likely. I tossed in new Brisk Silver plugs at 28 thou gap before finishing the K04 install.

After some data logging I'm consistently down 5-6 PSI boost from requested at WOT. Pretty sure I've just got a big boost leak. Fuel trims are pretty negative on boost too.

For giggles, try gapping them down to .024

I ran that gap with multiple K04 tunes and currently with my APR Stage 3 GTX.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
For giggles, try gapping them down to .024

I ran that gap with multiple K04 tunes and currently with my APR Stage 3 GTX.
Worth a shot. Just need to see if I can recreate the misfires again before I regap them, haven't seen it since the drive yesterday morning which is odd.