GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you pay to have your tensioner updated?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
When I first got my car I talked with the tech that I know at the dealer. He told me under no circumstances do 10,000 mile oil changes. His reasoning was the tensioner & timing chain. Mines a 2013 so hopefully it will be fine for a while. Fingers crossed.

zrickety

The Fixer
5k oil changes at best with premium oil.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to switch to 5k intervals. Hopefully I've done all of the major service this car needs for a few years.

JJYL13

Passed Driver's Ed
Located in Torrance (Los Angeles).
Was quoted $1500 from a reputable local shop just for the 9.5hrs of labor (I will have to buy the parts from Deutsche Auto or ECS Tuning) to replace both the chain & the tensioner (it makes sense to replace the chain too since it is so labor intensive to open the damn thing up for the tensioner anyway).

I thought this was very high.
Was also quoted $920 for carbon cleaning of intake valves (walnut blasting) by the same shop

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I was told 6-7 hours. I dropped the car off at 9:30AM and had it back by 4:00PM. Your quote sounds high to me.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Timing chains replaced with the guides, tensioners, lower cover and crank bolt. Cost including tax $178.

zrickety

The Fixer
LOL you're going to have to explain... $178???

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion

JJYL13

Passed Driver's Ed
I was told 6-7 hours. I dropped the car off at 9:30AM and had it back by 4:00PM. Your quote sounds high to me.

I received a quote from a second shop near me at about the same rate...

Was hoping someone in the Los Angeles or SoCal region could tell me if this price is normal for our region or refer me to a shop