GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Pressure

K-WMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm just putting on a set of General Altimax 205/55/16 with steelies...dealer told me to keep the tire pressure at 38 psi like the stock Pirellis...does everyone agree?

fredf

Go Kart Champion
It has nothing to do with what the tires say.

The pressure is printed on the door jam (unless you have downsized). Same pressure winter and summer.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
I just got these from the dealer today with the same size tires on steelies. Mine came inflated to 37 and they are a bit sloppy. I'm hoping 40ish will harden them up a bit. I'm ready to put my summer tires on already.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
The 2011 door marking says the 205/55/16 should be inflated to 38 like the Detroit. That size is the same as the spare.

Lynch

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah 40 seems good
i dont care what the door says
40 and they still feel mushy but better than if they were below that

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
i have the same tires i think the tire says 44 max .
i have mine at 40

Just because it says 44 max on the tyre thats the max pressure for that tyre not the recommended running pressure for a GTI. Stick to the pressure on the fuel flap unless the tyre manufacture for who's tyres you are fitting says something different.

nik

Go Kart Champion
confirmed my dealer also told me to follow the tire pressure on the door sticker. my 16" gislaveds are also at 38 PSI

K-WMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah looks like the spare is the same size as my winters and it says 38 psi...that's what I am going to go with. I just did an hour of freeway driving on the General Altimax - not horrible but I miss the 18 Pirellis already!! :(

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
yeah 40 seems good
i dont care what the door says
40 and they still feel mushy but better than if they were below that

They're winter tires. Of course they feel sloppy. Especially in 16"... with that much sidewall.

If you want to minimize that spend the extra $$ and get performance winter tires. Dunlop WinterSport 3D, Pirelli Sottozero 240 Serie II, Michelin Pilot Alpin 3, etc. I have Wintersport 3D's and they feel pretty good, not incredibly sloppy as compared with Firestone Winterforces that I had before.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah looks like the spare is the same size as my winters and it says 38 psi...that's what I am going to go with. I just did an hour of freeway driving on the General Altimax - not horrible but I miss the 18 Pirellis already!! :(

I know exactly how you feel, when I first put them on I nearly hit a wall trying to take an exit ramp. I can't wait for summer tires!

K-WMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
They're winter tires. Of course they feel sloppy. Especially in 16"... with that much sidewall.

If you want to minimize that spend the extra $$ and get performance winter tires. Dunlop WinterSport 3D, Pirelli Sottozero 240 Serie II, Michelin Pilot Alpin 3, etc. I have Wintersport 3D's and they feel pretty good, not incredibly sloppy as compared with Firestone Winterforces that I had before.

Yeah I hear ya...I kind of rushed into my choice last winter when we saw crazy amounts of snow here...

They're really good in snow and ice though which is a plus...I certainly don't get the performance I get with the Pirellis but I doubt that's possible if you want the winter traction.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
hey bro... what area of kw are you in... what color?

have you tried nitrogen in your winters? makes a big difference because your tires dont change pressures when they heat up. so you set it to a higher pressure and then call it good... you dont have to drive on cold sloppy tires that havent heated up to driving temp yet...