GOLFMKV

Yellow GTI

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion

my wish color...

Last edited:

bigshoulders

Ready to race!
I'm military and was stationed there. They have a US car sales place there specifically for the military, but since they are US spec cars, you only get US spec options. I saw a German GTI in the Burgundy Red color so I asked the salesman I was dealing with about it and he explained the color options of the German spec GTIs vs US spec. The only way I could have bought a German color is to have bought a German GTI specially built to my specs and painted a German color (I would have gone with Silver, a 2,040 Euro option), but I would have had to pay the full German, Euro price (over 34K Euro - about $45K, and that's without the other options available to the Germans). Then I would have had to pay customs fees to get it to the states. By that time, I could have bought an M3, which I can't afford. It sucks, because my (our) GTIs are built at the same factory (in Wolfsburg) as the German spec GTIs, so why don't they give us the same color options?

First off--thanks for your service. I figured you might be stationed there. I agree, given the inflated price of the German-spec GTI over the US-spec, coupled with the customs fees... your choice was the wise one.

I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe it's a pride thing-- wanting to keep them "in-country" and only giving these options to Germans? I don't know. I'm actually really happy with Carbon Steel Gray.

Cheers,
KP

Skywarp23

Ready to race!
First off--thanks for your service. I figured you might be stationed there. I agree, given the inflated price of the German-spec GTI over the US-spec, coupled with the customs fees... your choice was the wise one.

I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe it's a pride thing-- wanting to keep them "in-country" and only giving these options to Germans? I don't know. I'm actually really happy with Carbon Steel Gray.

Cheers,
KP

Yeah, I'm agreeing that it's probably a pride thing. I guess I would do the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Carbon Steel Gray, but I've always liked silver cars, partially because even when it's dirty, you can step about 10 feet away from it and it looks clean

And thank you for the thanks....it's greatly appreciated...and you're welcome.:thumbsup:

burnsy56

doesn't work for me..no depth to that colourwrap.
Now if it was the colour of those predatory wasps(=yellow jackets) I'd be all over it.:thumbsup:

burnsy56

I was not talking about the colorwrap, I was pointing out the GTI in the youtube link I posted.

Hi. My apologies, I didnt mean to slam your post. I was using "colourwrap" as a slang term for "painjob". I am enjoying this thread-thank you for starting it.