GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FrankenTurbo F23T Review and build thread.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
I almost bought an F23T, but bailed since I got soured by all the back and forth issues with the wastegate actuator stuff screwing with the tunes. I think if there was a bit better quality control in the first place, things would have been consistent and easier to tune from the start. The lack of consistency I'm sure limited the number of companies that would even give it a go at offering a tune. It's one thing to offer something if it's the same for every car, but when no two run the same, they aren't going to want to have their name associated with it, and I can't say I blame them

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
I almost bought an F23T, but bailed since I got soured by all the back and forth issues with the wastegate actuator stuff screwing with the tunes. I think if there was a bit better quality control in the first place, things would have been consistent and easier to tune from the start. The lack of consistency I'm sure limited the number of companies that would even give it a go at offering a tune. It's one thing to offer something if it's the same for every car, but when no two run the same, they aren't going to want to have their name associated with it, and I can't say I blame them

Your perspective is understandable. The process of refining the F23T for use in these cars has taken time and effort. It's been difficult to find the best combination of performance and consistency. But if you look around, that kind of challenge can be difficult for even the biggest of this community's performance products suppliers. The complicating factor is inconsistency from car to car. Even when our production of the F23T is 100% standardized, that piece of hardware is destined to be incorporated into a wide variety of setups. And in that context it's next to impossible for any two cars to "run the same". Instead our goal is to have our turbo run satisfactorily for as wide a range of customers as possible. And thanks to the continued support of forum users and our customers, we feel our product does that.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Your perspective is understandable. The process of refining the F23T for use in these cars has taken time and effort. It's been difficult to find the best combination of performance and consistency. But if you look around, that kind of challenge can be difficult for even the biggest of this community's performance products suppliers. The complicating factor is inconsistency from car to car. Even when our production of the F23T is 100% standardized, that piece of hardware is destined to be incorporated into a wide variety of setups. And in that context it's next to impossible for any two cars to "run the same". Instead our goal is to have our turbo run satisfactorily for as wide a range of customers as possible. And thanks to the continued support of forum users and our customers, we feel our product does that.

This pretty much sums up my reason for going with an F23T over the traditional K04...

I'd like to compare it to the world of programming. The hardware allows for more of an "open source" development rather than being stuck with what you see is what you get deal. Sort of like how an Apple iPhone is highly restricted because Apple wants you to use it in one uniformed way while Android is open source that gives the people tools to do whatever they please with their phone. (I use an iPhone so no hate here just an example :yikes: )

That's my reasoning... I just like that my car is different than everyone else.

Appogee

Ready to race!
That's my reasoning... I just like that my car is different than everyone else.

Hipster :p But that's also a reason for me to go F23T, and that's why I use Android phones that no one has ever heard of, haha.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Hipster :p But that's also a reason for me to go F23T, and that's why I use Android phones that no one has ever heard of, haha.

Damnit! I set myself up for that lol

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
The turbo has been running great. Spool up is good, power and torque is awesome. Car is fun.

The surging/hesitation I was getting is rarely there. Can't really think of the last time I had it and when it does it's more of a small hiccup. Now I need to just drive and enjoy. Ha keep thinking about more tweaking.

Thank you again for being so involved with this whole process.

Heh now the next step is testing the DSG stuff with Eurodyne. That's going to be awesome.

I have plans to be purchasing the F23t within the next 30 days or less. I'll be using Unitronics stage 2+ file. We'll see how it goes.

I am concerned about overboost and possibility of bending rods while running 93oct fuel. MBC to the rescue?

2013 GLI Gen2.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I have plans to be purchasing the F23t within the next 30 days or less. I'll be using Unitronics stage 2+ file. We'll see how it goes.

I am concerned about overboost and possibility of bending rods while running 93oct fuel. MBC to the rescue?

2013 GLI Gen2.

Yea lots if people are doing mbc or EBC as a safety. I was using a mbc when I was f23 on apr k04 software back I'm the day

Whats depressing is the fact I emailed both Driver Motorsports & GIAC regarding the F23t tunes for my car.. no response - what gives?!

Driver Motorsports is a tune order option from frankenturbo website. Assuming I would have to mail my ECU to them to be flashed.

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
….Eurodyne's base file is working well for folks.

Speaking of which, here are some logs just received today from a Eurodyne customer overseas. His ROW engine code ECU has an overgenerous way of reporting airflows, but otherwise the data are solid: