GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

drepai

Go Kart Champion

CTS kit came in the mail yesterday, everything looks really nice and straight forward to install. Shoulda put a soda can or something next to it for size comparison, this thing is big.

One concern I have is the silicone intake, looks like the bottom portion is reinforced but the top part I can literally squeeze shut with my hand. Any reports of this part collapsing in boost? I vaguely remember reading something about it somewhere.

Not posting in my build thread anymore, made an ig page instead @30r.gti

drepai

Go Kart Champion
woah wait what? i must have missed something.
tubi mani didn't work, more money than buying a new kit with a nicer turbo, no point. Same day found a lightly used cts gtx3076r for dirt cheap. Bought it + HFS-4 and I'm currently putting the car back together.

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion

CTS kit came in the mail yesterday, everything looks really nice and straight forward to install. Shoulda put a soda can or something next to it for size comparison, this thing is big.

One concern I have is the silicone intake, looks like the bottom portion is reinforced but the top part I can literally squeeze shut with my hand. [B]Any reports of this part collapsing in boost? I vaguely remember reading something about it somewhere.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, it has been known to collapse . My local shop did a MK6 R build that had the issue, ultimately they cut it in half and added a thin gauge piece of tubing to prevent the issue.

:)

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Called CTS and got to the bottom of it. When they initially released the kit this became an issue for people running high boost, the big ol 4 inch part right before the bend that goes into the turbo would collapse on itself, not the top part. They reinforced it and haven't seen the issue since.

Part I was talking about (that they say is not an issue)

reinforced part

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Im a firm believer that Silicone should be used solely as a coupler to join metal (or plastic/carbon fiber/composite) charge piping together.
It should not be used as a replacement.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yours looks different than mine. they've definitely made some revisions. mine has a metal ring in the middle and a hose clamp on the outside holding it in place. also that barb fitting is a part of an adapter that feeds into the adjacent opening.

Intake Piping

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Im a firm believer that Silicone should be used solely as a coupler to join metal (or plastic/carbon fiber/composite) charge piping together.
It should not be used as a replacement.

i think most companies do it because you can make the bungs easier with silicone and hose clamps. it gets you out of the oem clamping system for the pcv that sucks to attach and remove.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Vband FTW

james9120

Go Kart Champion
I'm debating whether or not to have the engine rebuilt with rods and ARP everything, parts and labor is 2300, pushing 93K miles so..

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I'm debating whether or not to have the engine rebuilt with rods and ARP everything, parts and labor is 2300, pushing 93K miles so..

Do it that's not a bad price, new bearings, ARP hardware, and re ring. I would have a valvejob done if I were you as well possibly springs as well. Its way cheaper to do it all at once

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Do it that's not a bad price, new bearings, ARP hardware, and re ring. I would have a valvejob done if I were you as well possibly springs as well. Its way cheaper to do it all at once
Sorry it was 2600, still not bad. To do the valve train it's 1400 parts and labor, they would probably knock off some $$ to do it all at once. So I figure 4000 for everything

Status
Not open for further replies.