GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MY APR Cast downpipe review (mk5 tsi)

411big

Ready to race!
I would rather spend $750 on something else to be honest. I'm sure that the thickness of the pot metal cast makes a difference in sound....but it's apr.... I wouldn't give them a dime of my hard earned money.

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
OP, quite a nice review, especially since you are on post count 4 for the board. Must of been taking notes from Hyde16.

Charlotte CC

Ready to race!
Not to be to negative but the welds by the cat imo could use work. Maybe it's just the picture.

I kind of agree. They could be a little better. Being a welding engineer for a living, I have a keen eye for stuff like this.

A couple notes to APR for improvement:
1. Invest in a turntable for welding of the CAT so its a continuous weld without all the start and stops. It can still be a manual weld, just a turntable to keep the travel speed continuous for him/her.
2. Use a stainless steel bristle brush on an air tool to rid the exterior welds from the gold and purple color (chromium oxide). This would take 5 seconds a weld and make the exterior appearance better.
3. From the view of the internal side of the CAT, I see discoloration from the bung and two circumferential CAT welds. With a good backpurge, as claimed is being used, there could/should be no discoloration. Either the backpurge sealing is not good allowing in air, or pre-purge time before welding is insufficient before welding begins. Its some time to flush the air with argon.

APR - PM me for some quick hints about the welding if you like.

crew219

Banned

VEE-DUBBER

Passed Driver's Ed
You guys are welcome to look me up on vortex and golfmkv. VEE-DUBBER over at both places. Why wouldn't I review this for you guys? Is the drivetrain different? I figured my post count would be an issue with the skeptics, but whatever. I work parts for VW/Subaru if you guys are so worried about it.

I love forums these days. Post count is credibility :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Nice review. Those who have not personally held one of these are missing out. Was pretty surprised how much more refined these cars sound with the cast down pipe.

Not many of these pieces are out there with the limited first run. We have a shipment being manufactured now and are awaiting them if anyone wants one. :)

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Hey OP..................aka Josh Campbell. Who's Kelly?

Attachments

• ach..JPG
    ach..JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,155