GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Basic tool set

Tempest99

Hi Everyone! New to the board, I have a 2014 bone stock GTI with about 35, 000 miles on it. I'm close to upgrading to either an APR or Unitronic Stage 1 but was wondering, on a more basic level, is there a VW oriented basic tool set to do basic work on my car? Looking around the engine bay I see all kinds of funky "non-Phillips" head screws that I think are triple square (?) or something and I want to be able to do basic maintenance or coil pack replacement. I"m not looking to dive into my engine, just basic stuff. Is there a tool set available that would have most of the screwdrivers, extensions, wrenches, etc for the basics?

In a nutshell, what tools do every one of you guys and girls have in your toolbox for working on your car? Thanks in advance!

Mark

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Also, don't forget a set of these:

I cannot stress how many times tools like this have come in handy. You'll thank me later!

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
What is that long cable like tool?

You pull the top tab back and it opens a set of "teeth", release it and it'll grab onto something small enough, don't know how to explain it other than that.

Its useful for grabbing tools or screws that drop in hard to reach places, fishing wires through the firewall, anything where your hands won't fit and a magnet will get stuck to something else.

A pretty handy tool honestly.

Last edited: