GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about Unitronic DSG stage 2

azanon

I'm currently running Unitronic stage 2 ECU/TCU and have a set of almost brand new Continental Extremecontact DWS tires on the car. So, I finally got around to trying launch control, and followed all of the steps correctly, noticing that the car was holding 4K RPMs as spec'ed by Unitronic's Stage 2 TCU profile.

Anyway, I forget how many seconds it was before my tires finally bit into the pavement and actually launched. Maybe 3 seconds worth of tire was left at one spot on the pavement? So, my question is, why is Unitronic raising the launch RPMs on a front-wheel drive car with more power than stock. Shouldn't it actually be lowered, if anything? The little bit of searching I did on this, says you have to launch more in the lower 2000s to get the tires to bite from launch. If that's correct, they're basically making launch control worthless, and I don't understand why they would do that.

Thanks!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
launch control is kinda garbage on our cars regardless of tuned or not. You have a better launch just feathering the car yourself instead of using a program.

I think most of the DSG tunes use launch control as a fun factor and not for the quickest times.
Because its fun to spin tires and look cool while doing so. If you are racing you are just gonna brake boost or feather into it for no spin.

Also DWS are all seasons and quite hard.. so that could be some of it.. try some really soft summer tires and you will grip more.

azanon

launch control is kinda garbage on our cars regardless of tuned or not. You have a better launch just feathering the car yourself instead of using a program.

I think most of the DSG tunes use launch control as a fun factor and not for the quickest times.
Because its fun to spin tires and look cool while doing so. If you are racing you are just gonna brake boost or feather into it for no spin.

Also DWS are all seasons and quite hard.. so that could be some of it.. try some really soft summer tires and you will grip more.

Yeah, I would assume that the absolute best case scenario would be to do as many launches as possible to find that exact RPM range for the perfect launch and do it yourself/learn to feather into it. As an older guy that doesn't intend to do this very frequently, I guess I was just hoping that launch control was close enough for at least a decent launch since, at least officially, the purpose of it is for (as my manual says) "maximum acceleration".

So would a pair of premium Michelin summer tires bite at 4k, or have any chance biting? If not, then I still ask Unitronic why are they setting it so high. Is Unitronic's goal also just so you can fool around and not for any serious launches? I'd be shocked if any tire could bite that much power out of this car at that high of RPMs.

I'm mainly just trying to understand the rationale for raising launch control RPMs with more power. Intuitively, I would think you would drop it, if anything.

Jaber

Modero
If you plan on doing some hard launches, I would invest in some mounts. They will help deliver the power to the ground.

azanon

Hmm, ok so maybe that's part of it too. Unitronic is maybe assuming you're doing everything else possible to put power down. I admit I've actually only added all Unitronic parts through stage 2 - so all "power" mods. My car is at stock height too (i just can't warm up to the lowered look).

The only Unitronic I have left is K04 and Stage 2 +, which I plan to do with the next Uni sale on K04.

(edit) On the bright side, "at speed", this car puts such a huge grin on my face every time I get on it. So much fun; I'd do the mods I've done so far a million times over.

Last edited:

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Some budget summer tires are perfect sacrifices to the launch testing. The Michelin PSS are great tires but expensive for roasting on launches. Mounts will help with wheel hop/spin too. The mounts are pretty easy to install as DIY. From my research 034 motorsports street density engine, tranny, dogbone puck (not billet arm) combo puts alot more power down while only slightly raising the NVH (noise, vibrations, harshness). If u get track density or the billet arm your NVH will be significantly more.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edit: I used to launch on my Conti DWS 06s @3k RPM and it was fun I'd sit and spin. When I tried on my PSS they just grip and it spun for a second and just accelerated like normal. So I agree about launch control being more for fun than practical.

avni

Ready to race!
Hmm, ok so maybe that's part of it too. Unitronic is maybe assuming you're doing everything else possible to put power down. I admit I've actually only added all Unitronic parts through stage 2 - so all "power" mods. My car is at stock height too (i just can't warm up to the lowered look).

The only Unitronic I have left is K04 and Stage 2 +, which I plan to do with the next Uni sale on K04.

(edit) On the bright side, "at speed", this car puts such a huge grin on my face every time I get on it. So much fun; I'd do the mods I've done so far a million times over.
agreed at speed it def puts a grin on my face as well brotha

I'm APR, but I'm at the equivalent to you in terms of parts. NEXT IS K04 :) :)

I totally agree with the original topic though

I've launched my car like 3-4 times in total. Its utterly useless LOL unless you're going uphill or downhill IDK hahaha

I have shitty all season dunlaps and all you hear is HARD tires rolling

Half of me says to just leave it at stage 2 and save for other things and my next vehicle..but i plan on having this for 3 years so who knows!!

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
This is part of the reason why I have not purchased a TCU tune. If tuners offered the ability to customize the RPM of launch control by your cruise control stock in 250rpm increments I would be a little more interested. They also try and sell you on increased shift points. That makes no difference if you drive the car in manual mode most of time like myself.

I call launch control mode burn out mode because that is all it is good for in a stage 2 FWD GTI on the DW summer tires like myself. I'm done at this power level. Puts a smile on my face when I drive it and that is all I need. Sometimes it is actually more fun to drive it in stock mode because you can stay at WOT longer without getting into as much trouble.

adema69

Ready to race!
unitronic does not really have launch control. Its pretty much raise rpm to 4k and let off brake and bam full power. Launch control will actually try to limit the power in first gear to get traction. Cobb tuning actually has launch control for the dsg that actually builds boost on launch and will limit the power according to speed and rpm and you can change through preset rpms 3500-4750rpm..

azanon

Half of me says to just leave it at stage 2 and save for other things and my next vehicle..but i plan on having this for 3 years so who knows!!

If you see a next vehicle in a near future (i'd say even 2-3 years) I probably wouldn't bother if I were you.

In my case I have a 2012 GTI I bought in 2011, and it has 31K miles :D. I just drive to work and back in it, plus a few other miscellaneous errands. I plan to keep my for at least another 10 years since it looks like new and I keep it garaged. But most all of the reviews of the K04 that I've read have been very positive, so I'm going to do it, and I'll have it for a long time.

azanon

unitronic does not really have launch control. Its pretty much raise rpm to 4k and let off brake and bam full power.

Well, I don't really have any complaints that Unitronic doesn't have launch control, since the car already had it. But it would be cool to have someone from Unitronic post as to why they raised the RPM in the already-existing launch control to 4K (in their TCU stage 2 tune), since I doubt any GTI with any tires could actually stick that much power into the pavement at 0mph.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
It’s because if you had good tires on a prepped track you can launch higher. You also don’t have to hold LC wide open you can hold it at your desired rpm and let the brake go. On dq250 there isn’t a spark cut or fuel cut to create boost so you don’t need to put the pedal to the ground

Jaber

Modero
Well, I don't really have any complaints that Unitronic doesn't have launch control, since the car already had it. But it would be cool to have someone from Unitronic post as to why they raised the RPM in the already-existing launch control to 4K (in their TCU stage 2 tune), since I doubt any GTI with any tires could actually stick that much power into the pavement at 0mph.

If you really want to know, try giving them a call or e-mail (or PM John@Unitronic). Kind of a shot in the dark if someone from Unitronic will reply in this thread.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
With street tires you shouldn't be using "LC" like it tells you in the manual anyway. Everyone has their own technique but I found at the track just reving to around 2200rpm, letting go of the brake and then feathering the gas til you hook up works best.