GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lilfleck - The Rebuild - Focus: Function

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
The Rebuild - Focus: Function

Intro
I'm back! For those that don't know, I recently totaled my first GTI in a collision with a drive shaft that fell out of an 18 wheeler on the highway.

First GTI: 2011 GTI, Autobahn, 4dr, 6MT, CW. You can find pics/info on my build here.
New GTI: 2011 GTI, Autobahn, 4dr, DSG, CW.

I spent the next few weeks going back and forth with the insurance company on what was going on with my car. It is a gigantic headache and huge inconvenience. On top of all that, my insurance rates are going up (for a not at fault accident)--go figure; thanks NJ.

Cars Test Driven
Once I got the official word my car was totaled, I started test driving every car that seemed interesting to me:

-VW Golf R - was very nice to drive, slow as molasses @ stock levels, but I knew I wanted DSG. I was VERY close to buying a used Golf R from a fellow member...
-e90 BMW 335i x-drive - felt heavy, didn't care for the color, prices on these were high and had higher mileage
-Mini Cooper S - surprisingly, the most fun car I drove out of the bunch
-Hyundai Genesis Coupe (V6) - car was very dull and uneventful. I really didn't like anything about the car. Wasn't even that fast for 350HP
-Subaru WRX Hatch - car was nice to drive, I enjoyed the transmission (even though it was a five speed), HATED the interior with extreme passion. No chance in hell I would own it for that reason.
-Subaru BRZ - sweet car to drive, kicked the tail out accidentally on the turn--that was different. very loud engine noise from the inside and extremely underpowered--would not buy unless had money for a pricey toy.
-BMW 135i (FBO, e85 mix) - power felt very similar to what I was accustomed to in my first GTI (K04). Transmission was very nice as well. I hate the way this thing looks though, so I could not consider it.
-Infiniti G37x - actually enjoyed driving this car a lot. crappy mpg. great power out of the box. sporty slushbox.​

After driving all of these cars, I still kept coming back to the GTI. I finally understood what everyone was saying regarding the value this car has for the money. I mean, you can get a fully loaded 4dr autobahn (used) for around $20k. Yes, please. I really tossed around the thought of getting a 2015 WRX or MK7 GTI, but first year models turn me off a bit and I didn't have the luxury of waiting until Fall. In addition to that, I was able to salvage most of my mods from the first GTI.

New GTI
After weeks of searching, I finally found a car with the specs I was looking for: CPO 2011 GTI, Autobahn, 4dr, DSG, CW. Ok, it's literally identical except DSG and 8k more miles. Here she is, completely stock... back to square one!

Impressions on switching from MT to DSG
I loved driving a manual GTI. I had the clutch replaced once under warranty for the TOB squeal, but before that, it started slipping the day I went from stock -> stage 2. The second stock clutch held K04 for the short time I had it (<5000 miles). I really disliked the rev hang characteristics of this setup, and had a South Bend Stage 2 Daily on stand by (for sale by the way!!!).

I decided to go DSG for a few reasons... I loved driving my car on the weekends but I hated having to be a DD and not having anyone able to drive my car. That was a big one. In addition, DSG clutch will last longer than a MT clutch, its faster than I could shift, you barely lose ANY boost between shifts, I could be lazy when I wanted, better MPG, it farts, and well, it's just superior...

So far, I am really enjoying DSG. I'm still getting used to it. It shifts perfectly and accurately. It feels pretty seamless, but you can tell its a dual clutch transmission. Launch control is pretty cool. It feels fast stock because of the trans. It gets better gas mileage--but I find myself driving more calmly. Mostly because the damned thing is CONSTANTLY upshifting. Can't wait to go stage 1 again.

I'm happy to be back!!

New Direction/Focus
This next build is going to revolve around drivability and function. I am not slamming this car. I am not going for flashy/heavy wheels. I am doing the exact opposite... This needs to be an ultimate and comfortable daily driver.

Plans
  • APR Stage 1
  • Evaluate going back to K04
  • SPM Street Downpipe
  • APR Stage 2
  • Lightweight wheels/Summer tires
  • DG Springs
  • Neuspeed FMIC
  • H&R Rear Sway Bar
  • Tyrol Brake Calipers
  • Upgraded pads

Timeline
4/5/2014 - Purchased Car
...2 hours later - installed LED tails
4/6/2014 - installed Unitronic intake, hardwired radar detector, cleaned/clayed/sealed glass with Adam's Glass Sealant, cleaned up exhaust tips, deep cleaned the steering wheel, shifter, and door handles (the things I touch basically), sprayed it with Chemical Guys - Stripper Scent (thanks to WetMoney!) :happyanim:
4/12/2014 - APR Stage 1 Tune
4/13/2014 - Wash, clay, wax
4/13/2014 - Stock coil pack #2 failed; replaced all four with R8 plugs
4/18/2014 - [placeholder]
4/26/2014 - Full detail - 12 hrs
5/12/2014 - Windshield replaced with OEM Pilkington
5/21/2014 - Company returns to clean up glue residue on paint; ended up removing paint from fender in multiple spots
5/25/2014 - Installed GFB+
6/8/2014 - Oil Change (Liqui Moly 0W-40), DSG Fluid Change (OEM)
7/14/2014 - DG DSG Springs Installed (Posts 1 and 2) + Front lip installed
8/26/2014 - Switched from Cherry Red reps to Dark Cherry OEM LED Tails :thumbsup:
8/31/2014 - Cabin filter replaced and AC system disinfected
10/06/2014 - SPM Catted Downpipe installed
11/10/2014 - Eurojet Catback Installed
11/20/2014 - Got towed for not renewing my registration... f***ers
3/29/2014 - Spring Clean -- looked at the swirls
8/16/2015 - K04 Installed, DSG update :D
10/18/2015 - Front rotors & pads replaced

Last edited:

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
FIRST!

congrats Al!

Plans
  • APR Stage 1
  • SPM Street Downpipe
  • APR Stage 2
  • Lightweight wheels/Summer tires
  • DG Springs
  • Neuspeed FMIC
  • H&R Rear Sway Bar
  • Tyrol Brake Calipers
  • Upgraded pads

:bellyroll:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Second :thumbup: can't wait to see where you take this one. Where are the old parts, BTW? Lower valance for instance.

butchered by autocorrecr

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Woah, woah, woah...you already put the K04 on...? Well that escalated quickly..

boosted135

Ready to race!
Like a redneck in a trailer park in tornado alley "we're gonna rebuild!!"

You've done a ton of research and have been very inquisitive on all aspects of modifying these cars. Enjoy!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Woah, woah, woah...you already put the K04 on...? Well that escalated quickly..
I did not. I just saw APR updated the software to v3!

I'd imagine that you're no longer selling the SB stage 2 clutch...:cry:
I am. I now own a DSG car. Are you interested?

Like a redneck in a trailer park in tornado alley "we're gonna rebuild!!"

You've done a ton of research and have been very inquisitive on all aspects of modifying these cars. Enjoy!
Thank you sir, appreciate it and hope to continue. :thumbsup: